Forums » Elder Scrolls

Heart of Lorkhan and its effects on Morrowind

• 409 posts
    August 28, 2013 7:50 PM EDT
    We know that the heart of Lorkhan was an ancient and powerful object used by the false gods of the tribunal during the third era. The heart sat in red mountain for thousands of years and by doing so infused the very stone around it with energy. Now we come to the beggining of the fourth era when Red Mountain erupts and and spews its contents all over Morrowind. With such eruptions came heart stones. These stones had the power of the heart of Lorkhan infused in them. These stones hold a lot of power and can even bring the dead back to life. We know that when Red Mountain erupted creatures called ash spawn started popping up. We also know that there is a connection between ash spawn and heart stones, so there is a pretty good chance that the ash spawn are also a result of the heart of Lorkhan. The heart has been gone for over 200 years and it is still having a big impact on Morrowind. What do you think the heart of Lorkan's power holds for future TES games and for the future of Morrowind? Discuss.
    • 152 posts
    August 28, 2013 9:38 PM EDT

my guess is the prevalence of ash magics now. Other than new conjurations and spells, not much really, unless operations like what Neloth did to his once apprentice become more commonplace.

• 409 posts
    August 28, 2013 9:42 PM EDT

I have said before the the heart stones can become a source of great power the way the heart of Lorkhan was for the false gods. I think Bethesda introduced a few new elements into the storry of what is Morrowind so they arent completely irrelivent after losing their home land. The dunmer have a chance at some ancient power and it wouldnt suprise me if we hear about dunmer using the power of heart stones in the next TES games.

• August 29, 2013 1:36 AM EDT

Are the heart stones pieces of the Heart of Lorkhan, or are they rocks 'touched' by the Heart's power? 

• 661 posts
    August 29, 2013 6:40 AM EDT

You know what it means? Nothing. Bethesda will completely ignore it or just throw one book into the next game saying someone did so and so with the Heartstones and maybe make some speculation about how it is connected to Lorkhan.

Sorry to be a downer, but there are just too many things from Skyrim that could be mentioned in the next game and too many things that probably wouldn't be mentioned in the next game. Most likely due to different geographical locations.

• 15 posts
    August 29, 2013 7:55 AM EDT

Well the Telvanni could harness the power of the stone, we know dear Neloth is busy investigating and doing his research on them (or was). It could trigger a sort of "revolution", the discovery of a new source of energy the dunmer could use to rebuild Morrowind and strengthen outlying colonies. Thus Bethesda could explain how Morrowind recovered in a short space of time things considered. Or nothing might happen.

• 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 4:23 PM EDT
    That is what I was thinking.
    • 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 4:25 PM EDT
    Bethesda has thrown in a plot device that has the potential to completely change a nation. It is possible that it won't even be mentioned but to say that it will 100% will not be used is preposterous.
    • 15 posts
    August 29, 2013 4:38 PM EDT

But i don't think it's plausible now that i think about it, didn't Azura get mad at Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil for harnessing that same power? If the stones are indeed infused with the power of Lorkhan's heart, wouldn't it be considered heresy trying to harness its power? although the Telvanni wouldn't really care and go "f*** it, that power is ours ".

• 8 posts
    August 29, 2013 4:54 PM EDT

And if the Tribunal used the Heart as a source for their power, does that mean that Heart Stones could be viewed as a lesser conduit for that same power, possibly extending the use of them beyond their current? Could the power be isolated? Harnessed into necromancy, maybe? Does the Ghostfence have something to do with the ash spawn?

I'd like to see them at least mentioned or implemented in future games.

• 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 7:12 PM EDT

They are touched by it.

• 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 7:14 PM EDT

She wasn't so much pissed that they used the heart for power but more pissed taht they swore on her name that they would never use it and then did it anyway. The dunmer have already payed for it so I wouldnt think that Azura's wrath would be an issue.

• 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 7:15 PM EDT

Yes there is a lot that can  be done with it. I see them as small bits of Lorkhan's power but we have no idea how much power they have seeing as how Lorkhan's heart was never actually used to its full power.

• 152 posts
    August 29, 2013 7:16 PM EDT

Yeah, Azura didn't care that they used it, it is that they broke their vow not to use it that she got her jimmies rustled about.

• 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 7:29 PM EDT

Lets not start talking Jimmies here..... but yes if they wouldnt have swore on her name that they wouldnt use it she wouldnt have been pissed.

• 15 posts
    August 30, 2013 4:23 AM EDT

The vow was all about not using Lorkhans heart, still if it's used in a way Azura might overlook... which is easily solved, let the priests ask her and be done with it.