Forums » Elder Scrolls

Who Should be The High King/Queen of skyrim?

• 91 posts
    August 28, 2013 10:51 PM EDT

I believe Bethesda wants you to feel that your choices matter and that's why thy don't give a clear answer to any of the heroes' races. However, to say that they don't have a favorite as a company that they've chosen is just dumb.

It should also be noted that the Dawnguard expansion, because of it's emphasis on choice, will likely be treated as separate in lore. Meaning they will almost certainly say that it was just some random adventurer that did the quest line similar to the guild quests.

On the topic of reincarnation, I'm aware what it actually is but in fantasy, both games and movies/television, the reincarnation is almost always similar to the original.

As for "trivializing" players choices, companies do it all the time. Do you really think that if they make a Skyrim movie (not saying they should or ever will, it's just an example) that they'd give a rats ass about pissing off people who picked an Argonian and not making their movie Dovahkiin an Argonian? This has already been done by Mass Effect with male Shepard being the actual canon character and fem Shepard being considered alternate. Yes she's technically canon, but she's not the one that the company recognizes and therefore is only canon to those that picked her.

In the end I think that's Bethesda's goal, to have everyone's canon be acceptable because each of our versions of the Elder Scrolls universes is it's own separate entity. However, there always has to be one that the company and creators themselves will use for outside media and that is almost certainly a Nord in the case of Skyrim.

• 91 posts
    August 28, 2013 10:54 PM EDT

... I kinda wish they'd have kept this in the game now...

• August 28, 2013 11:23 PM EDT
    And that's what I'm arguing against, that the Dovahkiin demo/trailer/Nord hero isn't the canon Dragonborn. I don't consider the demos, trailers, or posters anymore canonical than a Let's Play on YouTube.

But you're right about Bethesda's goal, that's absolutely correct. All that will be remembered of the Dovahkiin will be his actions and triumphs.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 29, 2013 11:51 AM EDT

Fortunately, those barbaric laws aren't used anymore. 

And when you marry, you become bound, related.

"We gather here today, under Mara's loving gaze, to bear witness to the union of two souls in eternal companionship. May they journey forth together in this life and the next, in prosperity and poverty, and in joy and hardship. Do you agree to be bound together, in love, now and forever?"

• August 29, 2013 12:50 PM EDT

Agreed, that would have been intense.

• 152 posts
    August 29, 2013 5:59 PM EDT

yeah, I wish it would have stayed in. The quest that shipped with Skyrim was meh.

• 5 posts
    August 29, 2013 6:33 PM EDT

I agree with you on Balgruuf being a good high king...

"If it's the war your speaking of, I'm on the side of skyrim"... I could definitely hear 

Balgruuf saying that... 

• 409 posts
    August 29, 2013 9:56 PM EDT
    Crassius Curio.
    • 1 posts
    September 15, 2013 6:53 PM EDT

jarl ballin

• 69 posts
    September 15, 2013 7:29 PM EDT

Teldryn. I rest my case

• 377 posts
    September 15, 2013 9:21 PM EDT

And the ability to eliminate all the opposition.

• September 23, 2013 8:31 PM EDT

Astrid. She'd make dissenters fall in line quickly.

• 360 posts
    September 23, 2013 8:56 PM EDT
    Balgruff, i would vote for i him in the moot, he would certainly be a stronger leader than elisif
    • 360 posts
    September 23, 2013 9:01 PM EDT
    They arent used because the empire says they cant be used, that certainly benefits their cause. Ulfric should be the high king because of the laws of combat, but i still think balgruff would be the best, "im at skyrim's side". His kids are definetly a problem though, especialy the youngest, i see him trying to usurp his brother's throne some day
    • 360 posts
    September 23, 2013 9:03 PM EDT
    Astrid deserves the cold void. Betrayer of the tenets and conspired against the true leader of the brotherhood, the listener, i was so glad i got to kill her in the end
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 23, 2013 9:28 PM EDT

Yes, the Empire that the Nords themselves idealized.

And if you don't consider this, consider that the ceremony most commonly adopted in Skyrim is the one that I mentioned before, under the "blessings" of Mara.
    And, I assume, considering the Nords "nature", they wouldn't dare to disrespect something bound by divine law.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 23, 2013 9:34 PM EDT

It wasn't Astrid's fault. She led the Skyrim branch of the Brotherhood for years, and she feared for the worse now that the times had changed.

I consider something natural to human nature to fear. And she feared change, no matter how good it would be for the Brotherhood. I would dare to say that it was, in fact, the human counterpart of the "animal" instinct: Astrid was the mother, the Dark Brotherhood was the child. In her eyes, what she was doing was for the better.

• 116 posts
    September 24, 2013 4:21 AM EDT

If the Stormcloaks win the Civil War Ulfric and Elisif would both be contenders at the Moot since Ulfric does not kill her.  However, I find it to be very unlikely that Elisif would be elected.  And, under these conditions, with supporters of Ulfric installed as Jarls in each Hold, Ulfric seems unbeatable.

However, in the more interesting scenario in which Ulfric is defeated in the Civil War, I still find it somewhat unlikely that Elisif would be voted in by the Moot.  She is young, and naive, and essentially lead around by the nose by her steward: Falk Firebeard.  Her only claim is having been married to a High King, who was himself rather young and inexperienced.  With all that said, I think it is possible that the remaining Jarls could conspire to vote for Balgruf, since I can't see him putting his own name forward.

In that situation, Balgruf would be honorbound to accept, and I think would make a great leader due to his allegiance to whatever is best for his people and Skyrim.  He holds to Nordic tradition while also being a realist and seeing that times change and the Empire can be made to be useful to help defend Skyrim from the struggle within.  Also, though he respected Ulfric, he saw the reality that what Ulfric and the Stormcloaks were trying to do would rip Skyrim in two and leave it easy pickings for the undesirable undercurrent in the Empire... the Thalmor.

All that said, I think that Brunwulf Free-Winter would make a decent High King as well.

• 360 posts
    September 24, 2013 2:42 PM EDT
    I dont care for her motives, it was still satisfying to be her executor.
    • 360 posts
    September 24, 2013 2:45 PM EDT
    Still, they see the honorbound combat for the throne as the way the high kings were elected, and being combat it would fall under the divine jurisdiction of talos in their beliefs. And imo pissing of the god of war is scarier than pissing of the godess of love...
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 24, 2013 3:43 PM EDT

Precisely: were. And, following your logic, then, consider that Mara isn't just a goddess, but an Aedra.

• 360 posts
    September 24, 2013 4:58 PM EDT
    Same thing, but precisely because she is an aedra she cant do anything but give blessings and such minor acts, i still dont think that elisif is best for the throne, and the only reason for that is for her to become an imperial puppet, not that im complaning, skyrim's best leadership at the moment is tulius, and after the civil war dies out, balgruff
    • 49 posts
    September 24, 2013 5:38 PM EDT

Balgruuf.

• September 24, 2013 8:37 PM EDT

... I need to stir some dissent. This place is being too agreeable. Almost everyone is saying either Ulfric, Balgruuf, or the Dovahkiin (which is either the best or the worst idea in history depending on the character, btw).

Hm... I think Elenwen should be High Queen of Skyrim if the Imperials win. She has all the necessary skills to run a government, would allow Skyrim to prosper due to trading with nations both on the Imperial side, and on the Thalmor side. On top of her beneficial cost-effect outlook, she also is unrestricted by moral constraints that would make other leaders make unfavorable decisions, and she has experience with working behind the scenes. This would provide support in other ways, as while she couldn't entirely exert Elven dominance over the Nordic people due to obvious and likely overwhelming retribution, she would be able to better integrate elven society and literature into the Nordic peoples through events and social reforms, so that both sides could gain greater cultural appreciation for each other, and both sides of society could advance simultaneously. Elenwen also gives another advantage to Skyrim; since High Elves live so much longer than Nords, barring assassination, wars breaking out over who would inherit the throne next would be... Considerably less common, to say the least.

Would she make a few too many selfish decisions? Sure, but many successful kings have had that problem. Although the people might not like her, though, I'm otherwise seeing nothing but positives here.

• 1483 posts
    September 24, 2013 8:45 PM EDT