Forums » Elder Scrolls

Ulfric Stormcloak: Why do you hate/like him?

• 91 posts
    August 25, 2013 4:01 PM EDT

So in another discussion I recently took part in a debate that ended up having many people talking about how much they dislike the Nords, in particular Ulfric Stormcloak. My question is, why do you hate him? Or if you don't, why do you like him?

Ulfric isn't exactly man of the year material, but I honestly believe he gets more flak then he's due. In-fact I'd go as far as to say he suffers from what I like to call "Hellscream Syndrome". If any of you have played World of Warcraft and know the lore then you know how much people hate Garrosh Hellscream. Thing is if you look back at his track record he really wasn't that bad and only recently started acting like a total racist monster.

I've speculated that the reason for this is simply because Blizzard wanted someone that the player base could hate and want to kill. However, the entire thing just comes across as "out of character" if you've actually followed Hellscream's development up until now. I feel that Ulfric and his Stormcloaks are being treated the same. It really doesn't make much sense outside the fact that Bethesda wanted people to dislike them for them to do some of the things they've done.

Anyway, tell me why you like or hate Ulfric and if you're so inclined discuss my theory or post your own.

• August 26, 2013 1:36 PM EDT
    "It seems to me people are taking their meta knowledge of the lore..." No, really? :P
    • 32 posts
    August 26, 2013 1:59 PM EDT

Ulfric and his band of bloodthirsty redneck stormcloaks have a very vague idea of their rebellion, if this "True Nord" wants to go to battle he should take arms and join the bandits or  "You should try mercenary work, it might suite you."  Ulfric's a cowardly dictator/elitist at best, and the poser thinks he can shout! SUCK eggs you wannabes, come back when "The true sons and daughters of skyrim" want a rebellion worth rebelling for.

• 32 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:00 PM EDT

Exactly! no one should stand behind such a coward! go hide back in your windhelm palace wittow Ulfy wowlfy!

• 152 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:21 PM EDT

I'm relatively certain the Aldmeri Dominion has a navy that can transport a sizable force to Skyrim's northern borders with the Sea of Ghoasts 

• 49 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:24 PM EDT

I pity, but respect and admire him.

He was captured during the Great War and personally tortured by Elenwen into giving information about the Legion. What he didn't know is that the war was over and they were beating a dead horse for pleasure. Once he was released, he felt ashamed for what he'd done.

He challenged the High King because he would not listen to the population. Torygg wanted to side with Ulfric, but valued the Empire over freedom of religion. Some would say his judgement was right.

Contrary to some fools, and according to Sybille Stentor and Ulfric, Ulfric defeated Torygg in fair combat. Yes, he did use a shout. But it was the sword's tip that pierced Torygg's chest, and the sword's tip that killed him. Some cry foul, but all in all, it was fair play.

One flaw with Ulfric, however, is that he is slightly impatient and his fiery temper can sometimes get the best of him. Usually he is calm and cautious, like most military leaders, but he can charge aggressively into battle. One could compare him to George Washington, and the fact that he is only sometimes a good strategist. Still, although he can be brash at times, he is seldom found charging into battle with no plan. I think he's okay, because everyone has their flaws.

The loyalists (that's my word for the Imperials) say the Empire needs more time to rebuild so they can attack the Dominion again. Probably not a good idea, seeing as the Dominion is also rebuilding. The Empire/Stormcloaks should strike now, when the Dominion is weak. It's been 25 years already, and the Legion is still mighty. If they attacked now, the Dominion would be at a disadvantage. Elves are born much slower than humans, who breed like rabbits. The Dominion was weaker at the end of the war, and will be weaker at the start of another.

I think the reason the Argonians are not let into Windhelm is to avert fighting between them and the Dunmer. If you haven't been living under a rock, you'd know that the Argonians invaded Morrowind and the two provinces are fighting each other. Ulfric probably made the right decision to prevent riots and fights.

Based on this, I believe that Ulfric and the Stormcloaks are in the right and that the Empire should just man up and attack.

• August 26, 2013 2:34 PM EDT

You're letting your prejudices blind your judgement. 

Redneck? Seriously? No, sir. 

Bloodthristy? Yes, considering how Skyrim is under the boot of a Empire who doesn't care, and the Thalmor who take people away in the night, I'd say blood is called for. Regardless of what the Empire signed. The Jarls of Skyrim had no say.  He wants a free, standing on its own feet Skyrim. 

Coward? Not really. 

Dictator/Elitist? He's a Jarl. He's a king by birth. He can shout because he studied with the Greybeards. That's exclusive on top of exclusive. The only people over that much authority in Skyrim is the Emperor, and the Dragonborn. 

Getting out from under an Empire that doesn't care is worth fighting for. Ulfric is looking out for the Nords because the Nords are his only allies. He may push the Dark Elves into the Grey Quarter, but how can he trust them? Why should he? 

• 32 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:35 PM EDT

"He's okay.." ain't good enough for Skyrim's next leader. couragous? brave? no no no, I'm going off what I see in gameplay, he's a coward. A fraud at best...tortured? He isn't any more oppressed or tortured than the Khajit or the Orcs. 

• August 26, 2013 2:39 PM EDT

The Sea of Ghost is treacherous. Storms, Ice bergs, and the cold. They have to sail around Hammerfell, and High Rock. That's literally on the other side of the continent. You can't send an invasion force that far and expect it to be effective. We're talking supplies and  soldiers, not to mention orders. Where would they set up a base? It's just not realistic. 

• 152 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:41 PM EDT

I never said it would be effective, just that they could, just for the hell of it. I mean, who doesn't take the chance to prove a god wrong Shor? 

• August 26, 2013 2:43 PM EDT

Someone who doesn't realize who they're dealing with. 

• 152 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:45 PM EDT

I am dealing with a god who's heart has been destroyed, and body as been rent asunder into two moons, and hasn't had any conscience visible effect on Nirn since it's creation

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:49 PM EDT

How does the Empire don't care about Skyrim?

And he don't have to trust in the Dunmer living in Windhelm. But does he really need to leave the Gray Quarter in that state? I know, I know, mighty Ulfric is fighting a war, but if he really has long term plans, he would consequently need to have a long term view of the things...

So, how does he have a long term view of the things when he lets the citizens of his capital city to become more and more unsatisfied and unhappy with his government, which could eventually lead to an insurrection, or even "worse", making the Dunmer actually ally themselves to the Empire, giving the Imperials people inside the heart of the rebellion?