Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls Online WILL have monthly subscription

• 773 posts
    August 21, 2013 6:37 PM EDT
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/bethesda-planning-15-monthly-fee-for-elder-scrolls-online/ Does this make it more or less likely that you'll play ESO? FWIW I am willing to pay if a) it keeps the noobs and idiots away and b) it means they deliver high quality, ever evolving content But $15 per month sounds high, especially when it will probably translate to £15 in the UK
    • 180 posts
    August 21, 2013 6:39 PM EDT

It's £8/9 according to what I've read.

• 708 posts
    August 21, 2013 6:51 PM EDT

They did mention in the article I linked in the ESO group yesterday that the subscription fees would be lower if you bought multiple months at a time. Many MMOs nowadays have an option where you can pay a fairly high fee (usually $100-200) and get a lifetime subscription as well as access to all expansion content. I'll probably go for that if the ESO guys do it.

• August 21, 2013 6:54 PM EDT

The last MMO I played was Dark Age of Camelot.  I played it for several years and I'm pretty sure it was always $15/month.  That game came out in, if I remember right, 2001.  So $15 a month now sounds like a bargain.  That's like 1.5 hours of flipping burgers at McDonalds.  It's my hope that a subscription means they won't have an cash store for items and such like some modern MMO's have.

• 708 posts
    August 21, 2013 6:55 PM EDT

Again the article I linked in the ESO group - they said they are having a subscription fee so that everything is available to everyone. I think that rules out a cash shop.

I've got no problems with cash shops as long as it's just cosmetic/convenience items.

• 167 posts
    August 21, 2013 6:59 PM EDT

Well..Guess I'm not gonna get to play it then. 

• 291 posts
    August 21, 2013 7:25 PM EDT

Yes, I'll still be playing ESO.  This is pretty typical for MMOs and something I'm quite used to.  However, I think I'll not make the mistake I made in LOTRO where I didn't get the lifetime sub.  If I really like ESO in the first 30 days (or if I happen to get into the beta), I'll probably, like Ponty, go for that.  But that'll take some thinking and convincing on my part.  I don't see why I wouldn't do it if it were in a reasonable range.  $100-200 is the same as paying for a monthly sub for a year.  Most MMOs, provided they don't flop on the endgame, last for me around 2 years, and the option to pop back in anytime I like without having to reactivate my account is very tempting.

• 577 posts
    August 21, 2013 8:25 PM EDT

Yeah, found out about this today. I've been on the fence about ESO in general and haven't really been sold on watching the gameplay, etc thus far. This news really makes me not want to get it now. I've never played a MMO or have any experience with them. I guess the majority of them are P2P? Think so...Anyway, with these monthly fees, I'll feel "pressure" to play.

I do like the fact/idea that perhaps it would filter out the noobs/idiots, cause you know there will be alot of trolling going on I'm sure. Which is unfortunate. Plus, depending on when it comes out, alot of my gaming time will be spent with Witcher 3 (look out Skyrim) and DarkSoulsII. Those games will def be taking alot of time and I don't need to be paying coin for a game I won't being playing that much, if at all.

Sucks, cause I did want to experience it sometime next year but it will just have go on the back burner....way back.

• 708 posts
    August 21, 2013 8:52 PM EDT

You do get a free month when you first buy the game - if you don't think it's worth your sub fee, don't pay it.

• 291 posts
    August 21, 2013 9:00 PM EDT

$60 most likely.

• 3 posts
    August 21, 2013 11:10 PM EDT
    I'm down with this.