Forums » The Lounge

On the topic of Character Builds and PC mods

• 51 posts
    August 23, 2013 2:57 PM EDT
    Bah, that number is not very big, not enough to compare :-P
    • 33 posts
    August 23, 2013 5:15 PM EDT

Man, stop this. Console users aren't peasants just for playing on a different platform  This isn't the Skyrim Nexus, or a meeting place for elitist pricks. You play the same game as the rest of the blog, just on a different platform. Just because PC gamers have acess to mods they are NOT superior in any way. If you continue this, you won't last long here.

• August 23, 2013 5:20 PM EDT
    I kind of figured he was just joking. If he's not, he only needs to read the rest of the comments to see most of us console gamers don't mind if Tompa posts a mod-build.
    • 51 posts
    August 23, 2013 5:24 PM EDT
    Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards that to. But he is right though. He shouldn't say that anyway. That just feeds the flames even more.
    • 133 posts
    August 23, 2013 6:02 PM EDT

A good gamer doesn't judge a game by it's graphics Shimazu 

• 152 posts
    August 23, 2013 7:26 PM EDT

I want to apologize for this joke, it seems to have been taken in a more serious manner than it was intended for.

• August 24, 2013 12:03 AM EDT

I've played Skyrim on PS3 since release.  I'm planning to get Skyrim for PC soon just to take advantage of some mods (and so I can play Skyrim when my sons are monopolizing my PS3 haha) and I'd love to see some mod based builds.  

• 291 posts
    August 24, 2013 12:22 AM EDT

I don't see anything wrong with it, really.  Those who have a problem with a mod-based build can simply not read it, rather than sit there and bash a build for something that has very little to do with the actual construction of the build itself.  If a character build meets the appropriate standards for a build but relies on mods, sure, it probably won't get that much attention, but I don't see why it should be deleted or criticized for such.

I get annoyed sometimes at the attitude presented in the first half of this discussion.  Console players making out a case that they're excluded, yet in the process are excluding the PC players at the same time.  Mods are part of the PC player experience.  That's just the way it is.  It's nothing bad or good, inferior or superior; it's just the way it goes for games on the PC.

Furthermore, wouldn't posting such builds on a site that's primarily known for its character build expertise only open the site to visitors of different kinds?  I can only see this as a good thing.  Wouldn't it be nice to have more PC players on the site who are actually active?

• 116 posts
    August 24, 2013 3:57 AM EDT

No, I was referring to those "hidden" players you reference.  I was implying that if they don't show up in sales figures... they must have not purchased the game themselves, and therefore needn't be counted.  But it was mostly a joke, hence the smiley.

• 116 posts
    August 24, 2013 3:58 AM EDT

OH?  Source please.  :-P

• 116 posts
    August 24, 2013 4:03 AM EDT

I think the hidden issue here, and why console players (myself included, on occassion) get so heated is just because we feel more and more excluded and left out the more we see modding going on... especially when it is done to good effect.  To be honest, I really do see both sides of this, but from a personal level, I just don't like mod builds since even if it is AMAZING I have no way to ever play it, which is disheartening.

So, as long as the player tells us up front that mods are required, I can promptly ignore the build that much faster.  LOL

• 51 posts
    August 24, 2013 4:16 AM EDT
    Haha I don't have any source, but I just cannot imagine that the number of borrowed or exchanged skyrim console copies are even remotely close to how many times the game are uniquely downloaded for the pc. Even you guys know I'm not that wrong :-P
  • August 24, 2013 10:40 AM EDT

I never really understood that sort of attitude.  It seems similar to the people that will see a Ferrari and say "He's compensating.." or when a woman says that Brad Pitt is attractive and someone replies "He's probably gay."

I'm a console player myself but I do want to try some Skyrim mods so when the weather gets cooler and I'm inside gaming more often I'm going to pick it up for PC.  I don't really see what's stopping other console players from doing the same thing if they really covet mods so much.  If they don't then I'm not sure why they couldn't just ignore builds that are intended for mods.  

On some previous points; I really don't think anyone has the intention of creating a build based on a mod for the explicit desire of excluding console players.  

• 116 posts
    August 25, 2013 7:29 AM EDT

"I really don't think anyone has the intention of creating a build based on a mod for the explicit desire of excluding console players."

Of course they don't, but like it or not, that's what it does.

• August 25, 2013 9:17 PM EDT

I really hope this isn't how you view everything in life, or you'll just be wandering around angry and envious of everyone that has something that you would like to have but do not.  :(

• 116 posts
    August 26, 2013 12:09 AM EDT

Right, because somehow my opinions about a video game obviously transfer to how I view everything else in life...

*rolls eyes*

• 51 posts
    August 26, 2013 2:09 AM EDT

The thing here is that you walk in with the intention and mindset to not read a build if it is based on a mod. It is up to you.

But other console players will read it through anyway. Only those with a mindset like that will see these builds as if they was created to mock the console players. When in fact it was not the intention at all. 

• 55 posts
    August 27, 2013 6:12 PM EDT

So less posting here, more building I suppose? After reading through this whole discussion im excited to see your build Tompa.

• 51 posts
    August 30, 2013 9:08 AM EDT

For those who are interested I have now published my Character Build that I have been working on for some time. I present to you Faal Laat Akaviri Ahsedovah! Enjoy! :D