Forums » The Lounge

On the topic of Character Builds and PC mods

• 51 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:23 AM EDT

It really is, but it is also important for the poster that the comments are constructive and are not useless banter and platform wars...

• 19 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:24 AM EDT

I know Vazgen, but the issue is with those grey-area builds that even with 6000+ views would have trouble surviving (and thus will be deleted if they are PC-only).

• August 21, 2013 10:25 AM EDT
    Exactly, sir!
    • 1483 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:27 AM EDT

I get that. My point was that with the huge amount of members we have now a really good build will pass the 20 likes margin. Good PC builds will make it slower but they will make it nonetheless.

• 51 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:29 AM EDT

I do the exact same thing with my builds that I bring here. The Arcane Archer for example is the best example. SkyRe even enhances that experience with its own Arcane Archer perk and Shortbow only perks :D 

It's just up to a few days ago I came up with a build that is not inspired at all from something found here. Or rather, I have probably picked up bits here and there from all the lurking, but yeah, it is my build. 

• 51 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:33 AM EDT

The thing is that it is extra sad that not more people would see a so called "mod build" for what it can be, but instead go directly to the bashing. 

I guess there hasn't been good enough builds around for enough people to truly see it. Or it maybe is that sad, that there aren't enough people that see the true greatness of those builds. 

Anyway, I am working on a build right now, that I think could be quite good. I'll test all of you with it ;)

• 1483 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:34 AM EDT

Looking forward to it! 

• 51 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:38 AM EDT

Thank you Henson. 'Nuff said, eh?

• 490 posts

Ben, WE are the audience. This whole "intended" wording is what gets me. I will like a build on its merits, not platform specifics. I would hope that you would like a build on the great presentation and overall character build and not dislike it simply because it includes mods... That is scary.

• 51 posts

After all this discussing, and Emer comes with this? I like :P

• 209 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:40 AM EDT

How about they leave that comment out altogether? Unless there is something glaringly wrong with a build they shouldn't post a negatively comment because they aren't part of the target audience. That just clutters the comments and drags the build into controversy. 

• 557 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:41 AM EDT
    As long as it is a build, it belongs in the Character Building Group. Builds that use mods are NOT inferior to those that do not, and will be given the same treatment as any other build.
    • 19 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:43 AM EDT

BenC, because as I understand it, the deathmatch is in place to delete crap builds so we don't have to separate the wheat from the chaff when browsing builds. If a PC-only build is not crap, it should not be deleted, and yet that has already happened, as you yourself admitted. I wonder if that person will ever make another build...

• 209 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:43 AM EDT

What about builds with strong Role-play being posted in the Role-playing group?

• August 21, 2013 10:46 AM EDT

Dear God, guys, I go for a 40 minute run and this happens...

I think we can all agree bashing a build solely for using a mod makes very little sense, taking it into account when judging the build is reasonable or possibly even essential (it is a factor, and a game-changing one at that). So yeah, mod-builds are cool in my book, they just need to try extra hard to 'wow' me since I can't actually be 'wow'ed by the actual gameplay experience (and because I'm a cynical bastard). But....I think we can stop with the whole "Oh, the mod builds are only being deleted because of console-bias," none of the previous mod-builds have been particularly amazing, in fact most of them have been rather poorly done, in my opinion. You're gonna need more than hypotheticals to convince me that the use of mods is the sole reason mod builds don't make it. Don't get me wrong, it can be a huge reason for some to immediately exit the build and there is some console bias, but it just doesn't work as a sole reason.

It seems I am forever destined to walk the middle ground...

• 490 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:47 AM EDT

Would you not like a beautiful painting simply because you couldn't paint the same thing?

• August 21, 2013 10:47 AM EDT
    Hooray for Henson! Hopefully this will reduce the number of the lame attitudes here. It's a cool community, and this should straighten out many things! This is encouraging.
  • August 21, 2013 10:47 AM EDT

Excellent points, Henson. I 98% agree with you.

• August 21, 2013 10:50 AM EDT

Yeah, builds (which you are meant to play) are pretty close to paintings (which you aren't meant to play....unless I'm missing the greatest painting of all time).

• 490 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:52 AM EDT
    • 51 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:53 AM EDT

The bashing took place in the "Pirate Prince" build, not here. But some of what has been said here is still, too me, not pleasant. 

I will work towards the standards of what I believe you and all other top builders and builds have striven for. A good quality build, with nice presentation, a good background, and the lore to support it, together with a gameplay part that is true to the game that is Skyrim, even if it is based on a mod.

The thing is Ben, that you immediately reason with the mod in mind. A build shouldn't be read and written with a platform or mod in mind. It should be written because someone wants to or create a unique build that can hopefully inspire and make the read enjoy what they read. It should be read because it looks and sounds good. The part where whether or not someone can or want play it is only secondary, at least to me.

• 1483 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:53 AM EDT

I agree with Emer, Ben. The character builds are for CB group. Putting them in a mod group will make them have even less views. I think the issue with mod-based builds is that most of the posted builds were not good, to put it mildly (I have trouble remembering the one you mentioned).

• August 21, 2013 10:56 AM EDT

"...builds (which you are meant to play)..."

"...paintings (which you aren't meant to play)...'

My entire point was the analogy didn't work.

• 51 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:57 AM EDT

Why are you assuming a mod based build has to go to a deathmatch? I don't get it. Just because those "14% that is a lot more than 14% due to hidden numbers (downloaded)"? As Emer said: these kind of builds are still character builds and should, in my opinion, be treated just as such. 

I'm so going to work to create a good build just to prove you wrong. Now I'm just annoyed with that attitude :P I'm not saying I'm good at it, but at least I think I can create a build that can afford more than 20 votes.

• 490 posts
    August 21, 2013 11:00 AM EDT

So, purely opinion then?

What I am saying is that it is a shame that people would dislike a work (character build in this case) simply because they can't reproduce it.

It would be close to a concept like this: Has everyone who has liked one of my builds actually played every one of my builds that they liked? I hope not for their sake of time, but my point is without actually playing it, they still liked it for what it is, even though they did not produce the same thing.

Now it seems as though you are saying mods take away the chance to play the build, which I understand, but is no different in the process of evaluating and liking a build as one should get their opinion from the content of presentation...