Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is Morrowind worth it?

• 7 posts
    August 20, 2013 9:49 PM EDT

I'm planning on buying Morrowind at some point this summer, but I have a couple questions. (1): is it worth it? Some say it's the best game ever made, but others say it's terrible. It looks fun but I only have one problem (2): Cliff racers. They're said to be the most annoying enemies in gaming history. So, if anyone that's played Morrowind can tell me how annoying cliff racers actually are, I'd be very grateful.

• August 20, 2013 9:58 PM EDT

Cliff racers are very annoying, but I wouldn't say it ruins the game or that they're the most annoying enemy in gaming (I'm putting my money on those expolsive-carrying dogs in Ninja Gaiden 2). The biggest transition problem you'll probably have is with the melee combat. Your attack goes through two different dice roll checks: whether you miss and whether the enemy dodges. This means if you're close-enough and you hit the enemy it still has a chance to "miss" and your enemy can still "dodge". Ponty put together a good setup to rectify this: 

• 7 posts
    August 20, 2013 10:28 PM EDT

I was planning on using a spear. So, would I do the same thing as Ponty, except put spear as one of my major skills, or would I do something else? Also, am I insane for wanting to use a spear?

• 708 posts
    August 20, 2013 10:44 PM EDT

Depends on the rest of your character setup. Spears have loads of reach but only do as much damage as longswords (and only on thrusts at that), so they're best used in agile characters that can use that reach to their advantage. Long Blade has by far the highest amount of unique/artifact weapons, though if you still want to use spears Argonians and Nords have a +5 boost to the skill. Not nearly as much as the Redguard's 15 Long Blade or the Bosmer's 15 Marksman but still.

• 91 posts
    August 20, 2013 11:23 PM EDT

Morrowind is definitely worth getting -if- you can get past the outdated graphics. When I played that wasn't an issue as it was new, but looking at it now the game was pretty ugly. Cliff racers aren't that annoying IMO, but that's subjective. They won't be that much of a problem anyway so it shouldn't deter you. Spears were my favorite weapon and if you learn to fight with 'em correctly they're pretty damn good.

Also wanna point out that the world in Morrowind is A LOT different than Skyrim or Oblivion so be prepared to get used to many alien and weird things. (Haven't played Dragonborn yet so I can't say how true to the Morrowind feel it is)