Forums » General Gaming

talos yes or no ??

• 43 posts
    August 11, 2013 10:41 AM EDT

Ok so one of the main causes of the civil war in skyrim is the banned of talos because the elves did not see him "equal"(so to speak) of the eight divine

what is your view on this ????

• 111 posts
    August 11, 2013 12:10 PM EDT

Talos is an excuse. Ulfric wants power by any means including doing deals with the Thalmor. He'd make a lousy king as most of his followers are either Nazis or so racially prejudiced they'd all take Skyrim back to the stone age

As for who you worship. The banning of Talos worship is nothing more than a symbol of subjection by the Altmeri Dominion. I don't suppose (unless you want to get into a theological discussion about polythesism) it matters a fig to Akatosh & Co. For the most part people get on with their lives and hope the gods leave them alone. Eight, nine, seven. six gods - The Falmer don't worship any of the conventional Tamriel Gods and neither likely do half the Argonians or the Khajiit, so what's one God more or less amongst hundreds?

• 4 posts
    August 21, 2013 4:58 AM EDT

Not so strange to assume Tiber Septim the mortal became Talos the god. Happens all the time in Greek and Nordic mythology. Don't forget, Tiber Septim was dragonborn, touched by the god Akatosh himself.

• 12 posts
    August 21, 2013 6:41 AM EDT

Just wait until Vix arrives...

• 13 posts
    August 21, 2013 7:56 AM EDT

The Altmeri Dominion is just waiting for the stormcloaks and the empire to exhaust theirselves from the fights and they will butt in and finish the two and have power over skyrim... That's why the imperials are called "Puppet to the Thalmor". (that's what i reviewed)

Skyrim belong to the nords because the nords don't have their own place ...  and skyrim is the only place where nords truly belong.

• August 21, 2013 10:42 AM EDT

Do I think he should be worshipped? Well no, not really. He's just Lorkhan/Shor at this point.

Do I think Lorkhan should be worshipped? Depends. The humans love him (for some pretty good reasons), the elves hate him (for some pretty good reasons), the Redguards don't really care about him anymore (they would lean more towards the Elven view), and the beast races don't really care about him either (the Khajiit may not be big fans, don't really know).

Do I think him being a hero means he should be worshipped? No. He was a "great man" (save that discussion for later), but that doesn't immediately make him a god.

And do I think he is a god? Yes. What kind? I have no idea. Aedra, Daedra, or something entirely different? I'm leaning towards the last one...

• 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 12:46 PM EDT

Lore wise, I think Bethesda has given just enough rope to us Lore seekers, so that we can hang ourselves with our opinions with this. My outlook is that Talos took Shor's place in the Divines (regardless on Shor's daedra-ness) through Mantleing (hope I spelled that right). The proof I point to is in the Knights of the Nine DLC of Oblivion, the way you are able to truly defeat Umaril is to follow his spirit and defeat him again in spirit form, and this is accomplished with the Blessing of Talos.

Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter!

Talos the mighty! Talos the unerring! Talos the unassailable! To you we give praise!

• 33 posts
    August 21, 2013 12:59 PM EDT

I think he's equal, I mean, Ark'ay did it, why can't Tiber?

• 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 1:02 PM EDT

Good point. People tend to forget that Arkay was mortal (or rumored to be) at one point in time

• 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 1:42 PM EDT

how long is this wait good sir?

• August 21, 2013 1:45 PM EDT

Depends, does this count?

"I'm not a great advocate of the tenacious and treacherous Talos, his bold, belligerent, and bloody reign over Tamriel is hidden behind the nefarious clergy that supports him and the war mongering proponents of his worship that has a certain ambiguity between what they say he said and what is said he did; thus his personage as a whole and his worship both seem hypocritical, hateful, and built upon a throne of destruction and debilitation forged in the fires of despicable slaughter covering up the reign of the warlord with notions of peace and prosperity under pain of death.

In short, I 'ates 'em. Dat's 'ow oye likes 'em. 'E's a stuck up monkey. the problem is that Talos, to me, is separate from Tiber Septim. With Tiber Septim we get all the notions of some great empire but it was founded by absolutely obliterating all his opposition, fabricating stories to get him popular support, and courting the anti-cultural Nords who wanted genocide... so of course Hjalti ran with it and betrayed everyone to get power. He slit his Lord's throat, he adopted a Nord name then gave it to someone else because he didn't want to deal with people, he couldn't be bothered with actually running a realm and put someone else in charge, then betrayed them -both- when he realized "I can use a super weapon to just stamp out the opposition... and I know juuuust how to do it. Vivec me ol' pal, you still got that crazy metal god of death around? Promise I won't use it on you, honest!" and he didn't. He just used it against everyone else, depopulated every country he took over, started a cult, and gets worshiped as a god of peace and prosperity under his benevolent rule when he's let the rest of Tamriel burn. He wanted money, he wanted wealth, he wanted power, he's just a damned warlord.

But he's also a superb warlord, effective, charismatic, clever, and malleable. He was a good general (granted with help) and had no scruples to hold him back. As a historical figure that's terrific, his usage of all local customs and religions is downright genius. But that's Hjalti Earlybeard of Alcaire. That isn't 'Talos' man-god-child-rapist-murderer paragon of Nord legend. We have a major problem and almost none of it is to do with this guy.

Talos himself is far more debatable. He may be Septim... sorta, according to the Arcturian heresy which I rather like. It comes from the combination of Hjalti, and his betrayed advisers the ancient and far more powerful (cornerstone and Thu'um master) Wulfharth and then his arch-priest of the Divines, Zurin Arctus. Through them all he may have gained god like powers by forming their souls into one upon their deaths. If that's true, really it's Wulfaharth that's mostly responsible and he's kinda still alive (he came back and walks Tamriel as an older man and not as the aged philanderer of Tiber Septim). Wulf of Morrowind, the supposed 'Talos' to me is clearly Wulfharth the sorcerer king of legend, Wulfharth the undying one.

As for what else. Talos is also just as likely frigging Lorkhan. Lorkhan, the lord of death, pain, misery, chaos that fekked up the whole perfect cosmos, bound the souls of humanity to his will to create an army, and stamped over the world destroying just about everything till the elves stopped him cold. The same one that swore a vengeance on all elves and since then has been trying to kill just about everyone and everything. This isn't a great sympathetic god, it's a god of slaughter, a cold impersonal god only given to warfare. It's Lorkhan,Shor, the absent god cursed to walk Tamriel because Trinimac finally stopped the upstart Sithian prince. He's a Daedra by definition, a non-ancestor to the Elves. He's certainly not a Divine, he's not Lord of Divines, he's a lord of slaughter. He refused to stop until each and every elf was dead, and everything under his domain. Sound familiar? He's bascially Mehrunes Dagon in a nice human shell.

Then we have his 'ethos' which is created after the fact. His clergy go around suppressing others, and his church grew out of a time after all Hjalti's opponents had been crushed. war and mass ethnic killings even admitted by future Emperors, and an anti-cultural propaganda streak a mile wide characterize early worship. Repression of other beleifs and the mass slaughter and stagnation of opponents was still common. His church itself has changed immeasurably, starting as a Talosine cult from Nord roots, much like Septim made the cult of Empror Zero for his slain 'lOrd' Cuhlecain. Then it become the Eight and One where Septim was something of a god of human endeavors (look at the title of Shezzar who is Shor). We see it in Morrowind, he was just something of a paragon warrior that was praised as a saint, that was the Imperial cult. Then he became part of the Nine Divines under Akatosh by the time of Oblivion. Now, at the time of Skyrim, he's the Lord of the Divines above all others and they shall accept no other explanation. It is forced integration and forced acceptance despite a clergy of madmen and lunatics (I can also point out that they tried to create a theocracy just before the events of Arena under the illegitimate sun of Emperor Uriel Septim VII... who subsequently ordered his son's murder in the Temple of Divines). This isn't some happy friendly god or god-cult. This kind of thing keeps happening in every era thanks to Shezzarines and Shorrite supporters. It's a blight, a plague, Talos is a vicious and abhorrent god. I agree with the Talos Mistake, saying that Septim is a God robs him of his true triumphs as a brilliant warlord and military leader.

So Skulls for the Skull Throne, blood for the Blood God, all hail Talos, the master of butchery.

Good thread though, wonder who would support him."

• 91 posts
    August 21, 2013 1:51 PM EDT

I don't much care either way about Talos, but the fact that the Thalmor have banned his worship is enough to make me say "yes". F' da police!

Seriously though it's pretty likely he did become a god I mean the hero of Oblivion did in fact become a god (ok Daedra whatever same difference) so why couldn't he?

• 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:03 PM EDT

No.... yes.... maybe?...

I'm starting to realize my support for Talos is just my suppressed hatred of the Thalmor, and what their leadership want to do, if that one article about the Towers is to be believed

• 111 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:05 PM EDT

We forget that this is a primitive culture. The difference between hero worship and God worship is probably relevant to the amount of mead that gets drunk in a victory celebration. Why ascribe the status of divinity to a butcher? Well one reason is that you personally benefited from it, and the other is maybe a group of us drank from the same batch of ale excessively

Nothing like that happens in modern culture. We don't have a society that assigns godhood to Attilla the Hun or Ghengis Khan, just gives it to a guy that stirred up civil unrest (upset the establishment)  about 2000 years ago and got to be the main event in a public execution for his efforts

• 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:14 PM EDT

You also forget we have a modern culture that worries more about how they look than the future of our civilization.

I think I'd rather have the primitive culture please

• 111 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:20 PM EDT

I think the main cause of the civil war was the manner in which High King Torig was dethroned and Ulfric tried to take power. The Empire simply stepped in to keep the peace.  With or without Talos there was a great likelihood of civil war as the Jarls lined up either behind Ulfric or an alternate candidate such as Balgruuf the Weathier. What puzzles me is that they didn't go as far as appointing a regent or supervising the moot where a new king could be elected! It hasn't been clearly explained how Ulfric came to have an ability to use the voice. Unless he was about 150 or so the Greybeards didn't teach it to him. Civil War just makes it easier for the Altmeri to prance about the place doing what they like.

• 409 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:24 PM EDT
    The Champion of Cyrodiil didnt become Sheogorath he just mantled him. Totally different.
    • 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 3:29 PM EDT

Actually, the Greybeards DID teach him, it is just not stated if it was before or after the White Gold Concordat. I assume after

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    August 21, 2013 7:41 PM EDT

He left High Hrothgar to join the Legion and fight against the Dominion during the Great War.

• August 21, 2013 7:46 PM EDT

Elves just mad cause a man brought the 'great elven culture and civilization'  to its knees. He took Lorkhan's place, and they mad cause he's stylin' on them.  Basically, they mad cause a man became a god when elves are descended from them. 

• 167 posts
    August 21, 2013 7:57 PM EDT

I'm hungry.

• 111 posts
    August 21, 2013 9:24 PM EDT

Paarthurnax states that he hasn't taught anyone for over 100 years. OK according to the Elder Scrolls Wilki what you say is true that he learned the way of the voice when he was a child. He left High Hrothgar to join the fight against the Aldmeri Dominion in the Great War, was captured by the Thalmor, and allowed to believe that he had betrayed the Imperials and became an Aldmeri Dominion "asset" 

Doesn't change the fact that he badly miscalculated when he challenged the High King and he was either too stupid or too uncaring to see that political unrest in Skyrim could only benefit the Altmeri (or maybe that was the plan?). This business about challenging the High King in personal combat- Wouldn't that invalidate the election process anyway and bring strife? On thje one hand you have a sort of democracy amongst the Skyrim nobles to elect a King then you have the rule by strength of arm thing. In either case Ulfric is a bigot and most of his supporters are racists who would take Skyrim back to the stone age, presumably why he was NOT elected High King at the time of Torig's ascension 

• 111 posts
    August 21, 2013 9:31 PM EDT

As someone has mentioned the Nords took Skyrim by conquest, as has the Altmeri by proxy. Don't see how gaining independence from the Empire (or what's left of it) helps Skyrim citizens when trade would suffer, unless they forge an alliance with the Redguards.  I can't remember seeing a reference to that - unlikely in view of the Nords attitudes towards outsiders yet there is some intermarriage between the two races. Male Nords and female Redguard partnerships are not uncommon

• 111 posts
    August 21, 2013 9:39 PM EDT

Hadn't forgotten that there is a certain "naturalness" about the instinctive way homo sapiens have historically behaved. Like you I'm not sure that becoming "civilised " is as good as it's made out to be. One thing is certain there's always going to be fights where religious beliefs are going to be used as a perfectly valid reason for killing each other

• 152 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:29 PM EDT

Or same thing, depending on what Talos theory you follow