Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Dragonborn's Legacy - Names for Enchanted Items and Weapons

• 12 posts
    July 31, 2013 1:04 PM EDT

A very similar discussion to this one was started just a few days ago, Names for Enchanted Items and Weapons. This was originally posted by me, but due to some unfortunate technical difficulties on my end (nothing to do with this site) I had to terminate my account and start fresh. I apologize for any inconvenience, but as I no longer can edit or control the original post, I am forced to make a new, updated version here. Thank you.

THE DRAGONBORN'S LEGACY

Scattered across the vast and wondrous landscape of Skyrim are the ancient, often forgotten, burial crypts of dozens of heroes of old. Inside, the clever or brave adventurer can find a plethora of unique weapons rooted deep in history, even imbued with the power of the heroes themselves. And so I thought, what weapons would the Last Dragonborn leave behind? What legacy would be waiting to be found by some other, clever adventurer?

What are the stories behind your characters' weapons or items? Do they hold special meaning to the character? Do they have names, like Red Eagle's Fury or the Gauldur Blackbow? Why are they named as such? I would like to heal your tales of glory in battle with your favorite sword, or how you slayed that dragon with the perfect shot from your trusty bow?

Here are some examples from my own characters:

The Black Thorn, an ebony dagger enchanted with absorb health and absorb stamina. It is called The Black Thorn due to the wicked shape of the blat looks like an evil thorn from some rose bush in Oblivion. 

The Sting of the Skaal-Friend, a Stalhrim bow, given to me by the Skaal after I helped save the village. It is enchanted with frost damage and paralyze, as its victims feel the cruel sting of the Skaal's harsh winter.

Ahemmusa's Honor, an elven dagger, owned by my grandfather, who was a hunter for the Ahemmusa Tribe of Ashlanders. It is imbued with the strength of the ash wastes, and deals fire damage. Also, it does extra damage to animals because it was wielded by a great hunter.

Also, I am looking for suggestions for the name of a dragonbone sword made from the bones of Alduin himself and imbued with his rage and power (chaos damage and fiery soul trap). I was going to call it Alduin's Claw or Alduin's Fang, but a sword is much longer than a claw or a fang, even from a dragon. Help would be appreciated. 

I look forward to hearing the names and great tales of your items. Thank you.

• 1595 posts
    July 31, 2013 1:59 PM EDT

I so rarely use enchanting that I'm still an absolute noob at naming my enchanted items. I was impressed by Shor's character Gram using a sword called Epilogue, but I am unable to stretch my imagination in such a way. Normally I come up with obvious names like The Knight's Aegis for an enchanted shield or The Paradigm's Lorica on a recent enchanting test.

• 29 posts
    July 31, 2013 3:29 PM EDT

I have a steel sword I crafted at the smithy (I am very new to gaming so pardon my writings here in case they are not given as a true gamer would) and then enchanted it to collect souls...  

I named my sword....   Anima messorem (meaning soul reaper in latin)

I also named another sword (as you can tell I love the sword) it is an Orcish Sword and I enchanted this one with frost...  I named this sword...  anhaltender Schlaf Frost (meaning lasting sleep frost in German)

I also enchanted an Ebony Sword with frost as well...  I named this...  trockene Kälte überwintern (meaning black frost winter in German)

I have an Iron sword I crafted and then enchanted with spark damage and I named this one...  Sverð neistaflug (meaning Sword of Sparks in Icelandic)

My favorite happens to be the the Ebony Sword unless I need to collect some souls for my gems..

• 29 posts
    July 31, 2013 3:57 PM EDT

Yeah not sure why I did that...  I wanted them to be different so I knew they were the ones I made you know...  I thought about it and well I figured this would be cool I knew they were the ones I did not just picked up and also that they had these different names but all meaning something about the skill of the sword. 

I play a Nord (female) and I usually keep here with a spell and a sword.  I sneak a little, I am not good with the bow at all so I ditched that early on.  I still have never pick pocketed anyone; I figured that wouldn't be what I wanted my hero to be...  Although somehow I murder 3 people I think it was during a dragon fight not really sure, but I paid my fine  I hate looking at that because before those 3 I only had a high fine of 45 septim UGH!!!!

• 1595 posts
    August 1, 2013 12:02 AM EDT

What's with all the assassin's these days? I remember when Skyrim was full of warriors!

Naming enchanted items in a different language is a great idea, I recall being impressed with Teccam's The Progenitor build for his enchanted greatsword names.

• 268 posts
    August 1, 2013 3:10 AM EDT
    I name any items I want to be remembered or have a legacy using dragon language or give it some awesome name linked to its enchantment. My favourite weapon was a Stahlrim dagger enchanted with frost and fear called "Shivering Touch". That blade did some insane frost damage as I was wearing Dukaan, had Augmented Frost 2/2, Frost Enchanter and it was a Stahlrim weapon so it automatically had a 25% better frost enchant. The frost damage on it was 125% more powerful.
  • August 1, 2013 3:52 AM EDT

I steal the souls of contemptible individuals (because sending innocent or even bandits to the soul cairn is kinda mean), and name my weapons after them. (Yes I stole this idea from skyrimconfessions).

• 29 posts
    August 1, 2013 1:41 PM EDT

Thanks, I just thought it made it seem more exciting!!! And I figured why not, right!   I like the assassin's role, but I had just come off playing ACIII and well wanted to be a Hero Warrior!

• 29 posts
    August 1, 2013 1:44 PM EDT

Wow I still have a lot to learn about this game...  You know in the beginning I was leveling up and perking without any reason, now I have a better idea, I know I could start fresh with a new character but I want to see where this one takes me...  I love playing the hero role, and LOVE the enchanting part of this game, I have to say I am at a level 33 and my enchanting skill is now at 81, I now perk that and my one-handed, I have learned, so my enchanted weapons and armor are so much better now.

• 29 posts
    August 1, 2013 1:46 PM EDT

Don't laugh, for the 1st two month of playing I could not figure out the soul gem and soul cairn - it took me going to the web to find out how to play that now I love it I try to collect the souls of the evil!

• 1595 posts
    August 1, 2013 2:36 PM EDT

The only way I can see myself using Enchanting and taking it seriously as a skill is by using it like Twisted Orthrus' Stahlrim Master, which could well be the Enchanting version of Nik Poulsen's Chemical Chameleon.

Have any of you had fun playing around with Ahzidal's gear? I bet the Soul Cairn becomes a heaven for such a character.

• 268 posts
    August 1, 2013 3:12 PM EDT
    Yeah, enchanting is a great skill for newer players, as it opens up so much possibility. I remember my first character (I still have his file) who's highest skills were enchanting and smithing... When he was meant to be a Nightblade. I swear I want nuts on that character, use light and heavy armour, one handed and two handed, all six spell schools, sneak, archery, pickpocket... It was a mess. I'd love to complete dragonborn on him, then completely reperk his skills and use him as a utopian for testing ideas.
    • 268 posts
    August 1, 2013 3:15 PM EDT
    Oh yeah, the Soul Cairn is my favourite place for evil wizard/enchanter types. It's a waste of time for my good non-enchanting characters, as I rarely do anything there as most of the stuff is for evil enchanters and summoners. The only quest I always do is "Impatience of a Saint". That must be my most completed quest after Unbound, even if I don't use the locket. I have the guide, so picking up the pages is easy, as most are on the path I already am going. And Ahzidal's stuff is some of my favourite, cos it provides unique enchantments that have +/- to them.
    • 29 posts
    August 1, 2013 3:44 PM EDT

Thx for posting that, I felt so overwhelmed when I first started, thinking I had to do all the spell schools, plus up the heavy armor, the frist month it wasn't pretty!!!  LOL, but after doing some reading on-line I learned a lot I'd never played any of the other ES so this was truly my first go around.  I really like how you can build your character, I had no idea how much you could do.

• 3 posts
    August 2, 2013 1:40 AM EDT
    I once played a narcisstic Thalmor agent who was obsessed with his own attractiveness. His sword was named Belle, Latin for beauty.

Then there's the time I played as an Argonian who worshipped the dragons. His helmet was name Ba-Du'ul, Wrath-Crown.