Forums » Elder Scrolls

What can I do to get better at Character Building?

• 27 posts
    July 30, 2013 2:12 AM EDT

I have done around 5 different builds and tried very hard on them. I have never gotten 10 or more likes, even though I have taken a lot of advice. What am i missing from getting more than 10 likes? I really want to get better at this, but I don't know what to do. I am comparing my builds to legendary ones and following the guides. I really would like some constructive advice! Thanks!

• 1595 posts
    July 30, 2013 2:27 AM EDT

It's not easy is it? I guess you shouldn't stress about it or try and force creativity, instead try and make the process organic. I find that if you go in with the intention of making something really unique and cool it won't work. Instead, once an interesting concept pops into your head go play it.

• July 30, 2013 2:38 AM EDT
    Just skimmed over your 'Exhiled One' and it does have all the relevant sections, but they could be explained better and go more in-depth. I only have two builds, and neither are what I would consider great (especially on the presentation side of things), but I think the presentation is good enough for new builders or builders who are having trouble (being relatively simple). Basically:

Random intro paragraph (maybe just say where you got the inspiration from or something)
    Concept paragraph (just a decent summary of the build, not too in-depth. Whether it's a small history like Mason may do or just the gameplay idea)
    Info (race, standing stone, equipment, list the skills, etc).
    The Build (explain how the skills are used and other relevant information)
    Gameplay (explain how the skill synergize with each other in combat)
    Roleplay (self-explanatory)
    Perks (unless your perks are displayed in a picture)

It's not the best presentation, but it's simple and still covers all the basics. To see how the style actually looks, check here (not a shameless plug): http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics...
    • 27 posts
    July 30, 2013 2:55 AM EDT

Thanks. Yeah the Exiled one is something that I had played at first, and for me my creativity comes out when I actually come up with the premise of the build. The exiled one is something that I played twice through, and I am still working on the presentation of it. And by the way I love those builds! I actually did a play through of the one you showed me. It is kind of hard because i am a console player and I cannot record videos or anything. It leaves me with no ability to grab pictures. I have asked the screenshot thread numerous times and never gotten a response. Is the content and concepts of my builds mediocre?

• 27 posts
    July 30, 2013 2:58 AM EDT

I try not to force the creativity. This is mainly about what my builds could use to get better. I have a bunch of ideas I had stashed away in the depths of my computer and I has just finished my new build, which was the first thing I ever played in Skyrim. I have been trying hard to boost the presentation and the content of my builds but I have never gotten past 8 likes

• 1595 posts
    July 30, 2013 3:02 AM EDT

I looked over the Exiled One too and agree with Feeney. If you compare your build with his do you notice how he sells his? It's not a deliberate act, just a by product of passion, but it sucks the reader in and makes them want to play it. While I think your Exiled One has this, it is spread sparodically throughout the page.

Why not go and see if you can layout the page differently and emulate Matt's build somewhat in terms of layout? Also, get rid of the negatives: Unorthodox and hard to play are not good things to read. Unique and challenging sound so much better to me.

The Exiled One has a good concept in stamina and speed so I think you should play that up much more.

• July 30, 2013 3:10 AM EDT
    My favorite of your builds is (currently) that Nordic Shaman one. I like the concept, but I would just say improve the presentation (and use the Frost Atronachs more heavily, those wolf familiars are worthless at higher levels). In terms of art work, I would check here: http://thraen.minus.com/ and http://www.deviantart.com/ Screenshots aren't that important, in fact I sometimes prefer art pieces over screenshots.
    • 1595 posts
    July 30, 2013 3:21 AM EDT

Also, have confidence that your concept doesn't need over selling. The Revolutionary has a brilliant intro:

The stories tell of a man who will lead the nords to freedom...a man who wears the head of a bear. He speaks the old tongues and can summon the spectral beasts from a different plane of existence..he is the shaman..the invisible..

Do you really need the rest of what you wrote? Doesn't the above paragraph say it all? Why not move the next paragraph down to a Gameplay section as it contains the meat of what the character's about?

Same with race choice. We know what a Nord is and by the time we get to that part of the page the reason should be self explanatory.

• 27 posts
    July 30, 2013 3:42 AM EDT

Thank you so much! Ill get to work on that tonight (or this morning judging that it is midnight). I am actually trying to work with the whole werewolf + Khajiit claws thingy. really awesome combo

• 116 posts
    July 30, 2013 4:46 AM EDT

Another thing that I have found VERY useful, is to spend a good deal of time reading comments on builds (both good and bad) to see what people generally like and dislike.  There are many many trends in those comments, and taking them to heart can go a long way.  While I have only presented one build, it did break the 20 Likes threshold fairly quickly.  As such, I have been working on another build, but slowly.  I am trying my damnedest to make it unique and well written.

Art selection is also key in making a good first impression.  Spend a good deal of time skimming Google, DeviantArt, and other sources for some good images.  Take some time messing in GIMP or another image editing program to make a perk-spread, title image, or something else to make your build stand out... make sure you have your build organized well using consistent formatting for titles, bullets and lists and such.  Assure that everything is spelled correctly (especially names and things from lore which are not able to be caught by spell-check) and do a once over for grammar mistakes.  These last things may be things some readers dismiss, but it does show that you care about your build and want to make us care about it too!

I suggest looking over builds that may seem similar at first glance that are already posted... what can you do with yours to differentiate?

Lastly, make sure that everything you suggest in your build actually WORKS!  I can't tell you how many people post on here and have taken very little time to assure that enchantments can go on the armor piece they suggest, or that they will have enough Magicka to cast the spells in combos that they suggest!

• 27 posts
    July 30, 2013 5:49 AM EDT

thanks! Ill make sure to take this into acount. Im going to browse through all the builds now