Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dawnguard or Vampires - Who did you choose?

• 622 posts
    July 25, 2013 6:19 AM EDT

Maybe a bit late in the discussion but I just got Dawnguard and am conflicted on which side to choose for my archer Argonian. 

On one hand, Dawnguard with their cute puppies and crossbows, but on the other, vampirism will cure my characters lycanthropy.

Who did you choose?

• 209 posts
    July 25, 2013 6:20 AM EDT

and Trolls ! Don't forget Trolls!

• 209 posts
    July 25, 2013 6:32 AM EDT

Yeah you can do this fairly early in the DLC :) although if you're only concerned about curing Lycanthropy, vampirism is a lot more intrusive!

• July 25, 2013 6:53 AM EDT

But doing that will prevent you from continuing the Dawnguard questline until you are healed of vampirism as well. Personally, I recommend having your soul split before the Soul Cairn, and then having Serana transform you into a vampire once it's all over (the entire questline).

• 622 posts
    July 25, 2013 6:55 AM EDT

Not really just for curing the werewolf-ness, that's just what my character's reasons for joining would be, but I'm pretty torn that's all, haha

• 19 posts
    July 25, 2013 11:20 AM EDT

I chose the Vigilants of Stendarr and kept myself away from level 10. They have a really cool clubhouse before it gets burned down.

• 409 posts
    July 25, 2013 11:22 AM EDT
    I beat both sides and let me tell you if you are doing one side you not missing much from the other.
    • 131 posts
    July 25, 2013 11:25 AM EDT

I chose to aid the Dawnguard, although I do have characters on both sides. I'm just not one for evil characters so I naturally went with the vampire hunters. Plus I liked being a werewolf at the time

• 409 posts
    July 25, 2013 11:27 AM EDT
    So do I sadly but the main quest gives you some good vampire/vampireslaying gear.
  • July 29, 2013 5:33 PM EDT

I didn't really like the Dawnguard side.. Isran was too cliché.. the vampire side just felt more original for a change.

• 661 posts
    July 29, 2013 5:49 PM EDT

Because crushing Vampire skulls and basking in a holy aura is so very common amongst Vampire Hunters. I am trying to figure out what is so cliche about him. Please elaborate on what makes Dawnguard so cliche. I am having difficulty trying to see this from your point of view.

• 1483 posts
    July 29, 2013 5:54 PM EDT

I agree that Dawnguard vampire side was original. It's unlike any other questline in the game, you experience the intrigues of vampire court, and really get that bloodthirsty vampire feel from it. The Dawnguard on the other hand, I never felt anything holy about them, they were just a group of vampire hunters, plain and simple. Sort of like Companions in terms of feel about faction. The members were not as well fleshed out as vampire clan as well.

• July 29, 2013 5:55 PM EDT

Isran's macho personality, have you ever watched Supernatural? Or those older movies like the one where the guy had a gatling crossbow... there's always the macho vampire hunter with a deep voice.

Harkon is also a big Dracula cliché, Serana is 50/50 cliché. But what's innovative about the vampires is that you can actually be on their side.

• 661 posts
    July 29, 2013 6:09 PM EDT

Yea I guess so. He seems like the pinnacle of Vampire Hunter cliches after that statement.

• July 30, 2013 5:34 AM EDT

Gee, am I not allowed to find a character in game cliché? I don't expect you to agree with me...

• July 30, 2013 10:32 AM EDT

Dawnguard, because that crossbow clank sounds so sexy. But, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the night, if you know what I mean. 

• July 30, 2013 10:40 AM EDT

You know I was talking about the quests.

• 1913 posts
    July 30, 2013 11:13 AM EDT
    I liked Dawnguard more because there was more dialogue between me and Serana (I <3 dialogue). I really didnt want to join the vampires because they simply reminded me of the Underworld vampires and I liked the Lycans more than the vamps in Underworld.
    • 1913 posts
    July 30, 2013 11:17 AM EDT
    They never were holy or ever even implied they were... You can't use that as a complaint. That would be like me getting mad a muscled guy cause he is not in sports, even though he never stated he was in sports
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 30, 2013 12:26 PM EDT

Dawnguard. It's more fun to me than the Vampire Side.

The "last battle" is much more enjoyable.

Also, I really liked Isran, and his voice. He's not as cliche as Serana's Family*, as someone mentioned...

Plus, the Dawnguard has Beleval and Florentius. I loved Beleval.

*However, I loved Harkon's Court, mainly Fura Bloodmouth (much better than Serana, in every way), Garan Marethi (Dunmer, House Dres, and I felt like he is the only one who likes you, trust you and respect you. Always my right arm) and Feran Sadri.

• 1 posts
    July 31, 2013 6:46 PM EDT

I've played both sides, and it really depends on what type of character I'm playing. If I'm playing a thief/assassin/evil type character, I generally go with the Volkihar vampires. I love the castle because of the atmosphere. It really does feel like a gothic castle, and the court is interesting.

The Dawnguard side is also fun, and in my opinion, the final battle at the end is more satisfying on this side. I also love the huskies. The trolls would be cool if they weren't so stupid half of the time and not even attacking enemies.

Overall, go with whatever side you feel most interested in. You could always save your game before making the ultimate decision. This way you can try both sides on the same character and see which one you enjoyed the most.

• August 1, 2013 12:11 AM EDT

I chose dawnguard .Beeing a vampire slayer who can unleash a bad-ass looking armored troll is priceless!!!and the best part is the crosbow!!! learned archery just to be deadly with it!!

• August 1, 2013 12:18 AM EDT

Lycans defitely rule in that movie