Forums » Elder Scrolls

Replaying Characters

• 55 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:13 PM EDT
    With all the Elder Scrolls Online data being gathered and people already planning their characters I was curious if anyone is going to be playing builds they used for Skyrim. But that question got me to think a little bit more, so out of curiosity is there anyone out there that has a character/playstyle/persona that they play in every role playing game? If so, what makes them so interesting that you will constantly replay them? Is it how similar they are to you or maybe because they are the opposite of you? Maybe it's just all the skills you like put together on one character?

For example, I have a character that I role play as having a similar backstory as my actual history. Except he is kind of the opposite of me, like how I would have turned out if I handled things differently. He is usually a dark elf because that's who I believe my personality matches up best with. And I leave just enough similarities to see myself, but I for big decisions, along with skills, he is usually very dark and evil, but a lawful evil.

If you have one just reply with a brief description and what makes them so interesting to you.
    • 21 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:17 PM EDT
    Gotta say, I always make a human rogue in every RPG ever. Going all the way back to D&D and Neverwinter Nights, I just love that archetype/playstyle. I've made 4 imperial rogues in Skyrim, one as an early character to test the skills, one dead is dead, and two more recently to play around with slightly different skill sets.
    • 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:23 PM EDT
    I always have one character who is... me. I name him after myself, try to make him look as similar to me as I can, use skillset closest to my real life skills, make the choices I'd make in real life...
    It's quite interesting, shows how'd you fare in those worlds :)
    • 116 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:31 PM EDT
    Calo my Nordic archer. In my Skyrim play through he is known by his persona the "Black Arrow". I play him as close to a legolas/green arrow type character as I can
    • 291 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:39 PM EDT

I always make a hunter-type character at least once.  I can't say what it is exactly.  Maybe it's because archery suits the way my brain works best: not quick reacting, disliking having too many abilities, able to assess the entire fight all at once and prepare well beforehand.  *shrug*  I may break this habit in ESO, but it's not likely.  I'll probably end up making something using a bow at some point.  Maybe...if I get the mood to make an alt.

• 55 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:56 PM EDT
    I find it funny how so far everyone besides Vazgen, who may or may not fall into this category, prefers a more stealthy character. Ill go out on limb and say Jolly's character probably uses bows just like everyone else. I know that for me since I first played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance as a child, I've always loved archery in games like this. And stealth usually goes hand in hand with it, so I am guilty of always trying a similar character somewhere during my experience with any new game.
    • 116 posts
    July 22, 2013 10:00 PM EDT
    My char doesn't use stealth. Just agility speed endurance and a shit load of ebony arrows :)
    • 55 posts
    July 22, 2013 10:04 PM EDT
    I should have figured when you compared him to Legolas who kills things from every range and every angle lol.
    • 116 posts
    July 22, 2013 10:12 PM EDT
    Heck yeah! The most fun I've had playing an archer type char. Won't ever go back to the sneak and shoot
    • 661 posts
    July 22, 2013 10:13 PM EDT

No, no I cant say I have.

• 8 posts
    November 19, 2013 5:27 PM EST

I was just thinking about this subject not 10 minutes ago! I'm definitely going to try and recreate my Silent Sentinel build when the game's released. I'd describe him as a subclass of the Rouge archetype as he also uses magic to some degree. Combat revolves around the usage of guerilla warfare tactics like planning your attack before striking followed by a fast paced Blitzkrieg style assault. As for looks I usually make him look like me; red hair, pale skin, ect. As for role playing I try not to differentiate between being the "good guy" and the "bad guy" and rather focus on making him a real person with his own ambitions, desires, personality, and flaws. Morality still plays a pivotal role however as my character's journey plays out he starts to question his own perception of reality and inevitably decides who he wants to be.

• 149 posts
    November 19, 2013 5:39 PM EST

I usually try to translate some part of myself into every character; I have to relate with them on some level. But usually, no, I leave little in common between characters from different games. 

That's not to say I don't reuse characters at all, though. In Skyrim, most of my favorite playthroughs have been recreations of the same archetype. Up to this point, they've culminated into my current and arguably favorite Skyrim persona (Chase, the Argonian in my profile pic). I like to play and build with ideas gradually over time.

• 55 posts
    November 19, 2013 5:46 PM EST
    That sounds really interesting. I hope your going to be sharing this guy with all of us ;)
    • 1483 posts
    November 19, 2013 5:50 PM EST

Ha! Stealth is a no-brainer for most of my playthroughs! Growing up on Thief and Splinter Cell franchises takes its toll 

• 55 posts
    November 19, 2013 5:52 PM EST
    I generally try to start of a new game with skills I'm familiar with and am fond of. So sorta like you with recreating an archetype, but intend to keep the same personality as well. It's usually something like my Doomkaiser. Necromancy and poison/diseases. Very cocky and unforgiving. It's a lot of fun because for the most part, it is the polar opposite of myself.
    • 55 posts
    November 19, 2013 5:55 PM EST
    Stealth for me was honestly a new concept when I got to TES series. Playing console RPGs was usually just a lot of hack and slash combat, so that's what I'm used to and what I'm good at. But stealth gave me a whole new dimension that I've been fascinated with like many people lol.
    • 249 posts
    November 19, 2013 11:05 PM EST
    I was a Champions of Norrath kid. Archer's rocked because they had Critical Hit spells and a Tree Root immobilizing spell. That's when I sold my soul to Archery ;p
    • 55 posts
    November 19, 2013 11:16 PM EST

Yes!!! I lived Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance as a kid. It really set the tone for everything I do in RPGs now. 

• 490 posts
    November 20, 2013 9:35 AM EST

I want to try out some of character concepts I used for Skyrim in ESO I just don't know which one I want to stick with.

Growingup on RPGs I usually went for the all out heavy warrior type, crashing through enemies like a hot knife through butter. Not sure how I want to handle ESO though. I do enjoy going against the grain: Orc mages/archers, Redguard necromancers, and Khajiit barbarians, so I am sure I will play into that arena of fun.

• 55 posts
    November 20, 2013 11:18 AM EST

I'm still waiting for more info to be confirmed or to get a beta key before I start actually planning. But I see a lot of the concepts I used in Skyrim translating through. 

I wish I could do that, I sort of have OCD when it comes to that stuff lol. Unless I have a justifiable reason like their abilities play to the best advantage of that class, I try to stick to roleplay friendly stuff like Bosmer archers, Nord Barbarians etc. 

• November 20, 2013 1:30 PM EST

I always play a warrior first. Partially because it's easy for me to jump right in and play. I'll usually come back and try magic, stealth and various combos on my next playthrough(s).

Mostly I just love running up and hitting guys in the face with a blunt weapon!

I do this in pretty much any game wit the option.

• 55 posts
    November 20, 2013 3:35 PM EST

I agree. I think most people are quick to make a warrior of some sort, perhaps a paladin or spell sword because it allows them to experience the majority of the game. It lets them jump right into to it.

I'm beginning to see that few people have actually found that one character that they fall in love with and more so fall in love with a style. 

• 8 posts
    December 13, 2013 4:15 PM EST

Here it is, I hope you like it!

• 59 posts
    December 13, 2013 5:05 PM EST

Yea, its the charm of the game 

The thing is, I only started RPGing in Oblivion.

But shortly before i quited playing it i found the spell controll animal/humanoid. Sparing details, with the help of a bug it acted like the current fury spell.

Now, ennemies tearing themselves appart, thats magic! (While i watch from the shadows)

I add to that the simple school of destrutruction to make the last fight per group somewhat difficult (and bosses realy, realy), the mana pool needed wil help with the illusions to!

Now I am as far to add roleplay to him (like me)/her (If I want to look at something)

Him= sorta real me, but I then do start with a sad story that sorta justifies thieves guild, to work my way up to be the Champion/Dragonborn/whatever.

Her wil mostly be fun/powerplay.

• 45 posts
    December 13, 2013 8:34 PM EST

I have had the same name and race in all Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind (I played them out of order) but in Morrowind I went around punching people, in Oblivion I cut and burned people, and in Skyrim I stun locked people with lightning magic. I played as a Dark Elf named Thanatos.