Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim: Vampires vs Werewolves which is truly better?

• 159 posts
    July 22, 2013 12:16 PM EDT

So I've had this thought on my mind  and I really wondered  which race do you people think is better and if they ever fought why would they and what would be the outcome?

• July 22, 2013 12:23 PM EDT

Vampires, they are more versatile, and don't have to transform to use their power. 

• July 22, 2013 12:30 PM EDT
    Vampire Lord form is definitely stronger, with Vampiric Grip and Vampiric Drain (though I personally enjoy Werewolf Form more). And vampirism impacts your playthrough more than Lycanthropy does, so overall vampirism is more enjoyable for me.

Strongest: Vampire.
    Most enjoyable form: Lycanthropy (in my opinion).
    Most enjoyable overall: Vampirism (in my opinion).
  • July 22, 2013 12:37 PM EDT

I'm pretty sure Dracula could command the wolves in Bram Stoker's Dracula. 

• July 22, 2013 12:38 PM EDT
    • 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 12:39 PM EDT

Absolutely agree with you Matt! Couldn't have described it better 

• 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 12:41 PM EDT

Ben, even if you summon two more werewolves to aid you, Vampire Lord can throw them around with Vampiric Grip and laugh 

• July 22, 2013 12:44 PM EDT

Who said that werewolves are accepted? Vampires just tend to be more notorious. If the wolfs were discovered, they would just as much hated as the vampires.

• July 22, 2013 12:46 PM EDT

The vampire be like, "this isn't even my final form!" The werewolf, is cool though,  I mean, I'd like to have one as a side-kick.  Aela or the bros should transform and fight with you some times, I mean come on!

• July 22, 2013 12:50 PM EDT
    A.) Werewolves can't sneak.
    B.) Vampire Lords are immune to knockdown.
    C.) Werewolves aren't, they're also not immune to paralyze. Or gargoyles to the face.
  • July 22, 2013 12:51 PM EDT

And by the way, the wolf transformation sucks a bit.

• 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 12:52 PM EDT

Werewolves get no sneak bonus so it's hard to imagine them sneaking on a vampire who can see in the dark unlike them. In any case, even if the werewolf gets the first hit, vampire lord can turn in a mist form reposition heal and start playing basketball with the werewolf 

• July 22, 2013 12:54 PM EDT

Absolutely agree as well.

• July 22, 2013 1:00 PM EDT
    I do believe combat has a certain place in this discussion, "...and if they ever fought why would they and what would be the outcome?" I prefer werewolf form over vampire lord form, but that doesn't mean I think it's stronger.
    • 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 1:04 PM EDT

You can pretend you're a normal man but you're not. Imagine not having rest from your sleep every night for years. Some people can just grow crazy from that! 

• July 22, 2013 1:43 PM EDT

But from what I understand, vampires get their kicks from blood. They enjoy it more than a man enjoys mead and warm food and whatnot. But that's probably only human blood, and we all know how easier it is to just go to an inn and whatnot rather than sneaking up on people at night.

• 8 posts
    July 22, 2013 2:12 PM EDT

I'm gonna have to go with Ben on this one. I've played loads as a vampire but I've never managed to find the benefits that everyone says are there. I just can't seem to get the best out of the vampire form. Werewolves are better in terms of combat as they don't have to recharge their attacks, and I find vampire lords useless on the ground

• 18 posts
    July 22, 2013 2:21 PM EDT

Werewolves all the way. If only all the werewolves had the Ring of Hircine..

• 116 posts
    July 22, 2013 3:27 PM EDT
    Alright let's not look into this just in skyrim standards because we all know Bethesda has screwed up on some things in this game. I believe both perk trees need serious overhaul (I actually hate playing as a vampire lord). For one werewolves should be stronger and more resilient to melee damage than they currently are. And any ol vamp shouldn't have the vampire lord ability only the most powerful. Also you become a vamp lord to damn easy, harkon just gives you the gift basically for saying hi to him.
    But my rant is over, in real life is be a werewolf anyday
    • 116 posts
    July 22, 2013 3:34 PM EDT
    Alsoooo...werewolves hunt in packs and highly outnumber vamps when they come into conflict. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses neither should be op in skyrim
    • 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 4:15 PM EDT

If you don't want to look in Skyrim standards I can suggest looking at Underwolds series. The best vampire vs werewolf conflict presentation in the movies IMO. Both species are extremely powerful and have blended in society well. If you look at combat both species has weak and strong individuals. The fight between Lucian and Victor ends with werewolf victorious, using sun to his advantage. However, we see that after years passed werewolves live in sewers while vampires live in mansions. This can serve as a proof of vampire superiority. 

Regarding your comments I doubt that werewolfs outnumber vampires in TES at all. In Skyrim the only known werewolves are the members of the circle (5 at the start of questline) while there are more known vampires in the game. 

• 1483 posts
    July 22, 2013 4:18 PM EDT

Werewolf tactics won't work against Vampire Lord. One of the most powerful abilities of werewolves - knockdown - doesn't work on vampire lords. Take into account that Vampiric Grip will render them helpless and that Vampiric Drain absorbs their health (which they can't replenish).

• 133 posts
    July 22, 2013 4:38 PM EDT

You guys are comparing the Volkihar Vampires to Werewolves not the regular Vampires to Werewolves

Anyways, the Werewolves would beat the  vampires easily, no questions asked.

• 1913 posts
    July 22, 2013 4:44 PM EDT
    exactly. you can only compare them to base game lycans and vampires to be fair :)
  • July 22, 2013 4:48 PM EDT
    No DLC: Werewolves. Although Fear and illusion spells work on Werewolves, so they do have that.

DLC: Vampires, pretty easily with Vamp Lord.