Forums » Elder Scrolls

Do you "age" your character

• 116 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:37 PM EDT

Soooo ive been roleplaying my archer lately and through all his accomplishments throughout the lands of Skyrim (Guild Master, Companion, Vampire Hunter, Hero of the Revolution, and Dragon Slayer((Alduin still yet lives however...)) i have to think that my character is no longer in the prime of his youth. All these quests would have taken a large chunk of his life and now has to nearing middle age. So as any Skyrim addict would do i took him to the face changer in Riften to give him a more aged look with a rougher complexion and salt and pepper hair to get the appropriate look. So i guess im just wondering if any other role players do this or am i just crazy and too deep in this game

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:28 PM EDT

As soon as the face sculptor appeared I started doing this, you're not alone man =D

Ever since the Legendary prestige system came out I thought it would be fun to try a character who uses every skill throughout his life. He'd start as a thief because he is young and impetuous, then by middle age he'd learn that if you pick too many pockets and make enemies you have to defend yourself and picks up combat and becomes a Companion, then after many years his body tires and he moves to magic. And you would update his face throughout, start off clean shaven and end up with a long Gandalf beard

• 74 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:39 PM EDT

That sounds like a great idea for a build! 

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:52 PM EDT

Might be more suited to the RP section, but if it was framed right I suppose it could be a build though.

• 74 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:54 PM EDT

No, I think you're right... sorta like a RP build(do we even have those?) Or just an RP theme in general. 

I know I've added more scars after times when I get hit more. 

• 22 posts
    July 15, 2013 11:02 PM EDT

I LOVE the face changer addition. I like to divide my playthroughs up into "Chapters." Each chapter containing a certain major adventure. After each chapter, I break RP to visit the face changer to age my character, and add scars/ warpaint. Another little thing I like to do is change my appearance for certain events or quests. For example, if I decide to join the Imperial Legion, I would give my character a short, military cut. Or if I'm attempting to look nice, for say my wedding, or visiting a high class party at the Thalmor Embassy, I'll shave my scruffy beard.

It's little things like this that get me so involved in my characters, and in turn, allows me to put many more hours into each of them.

• 116 posts
    July 15, 2013 11:09 PM EDT

Wow!  I envy that level of connectedness and forethought for you character(s).  I think I would be more likely to do stuff like this if I didn't have to trudge through a sewer to get a haircut.

• 22 posts
    July 15, 2013 11:25 PM EDT

Haha, It is pretty annoying. It's really the only time I break roleplay though, so sometimes it's nice to take a break from being a superbadassdraugrkillingnord

• 116 posts
    July 15, 2013 11:42 PM EDT

Tim my friend you are a genius. i was stuck on the end game for this character for when his body is old and broken from the countless miles trekked and countless fights encountered. But going into magic makes perfect sense. Almost just like his thieves guild predecessor Gallus. i was trying to avoid magic on this character but now have a renewed focus on his role-play. Thanks much sir!

• 116 posts
    July 15, 2013 11:50 PM EDT

haha yup, i do the same thing. I sided with the stormcloaks for this character and during the war i had a long gruff beard and long hair from being out in the wild with the soldiers for so long, but had  a more refined look during his vampire hunter days. 

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    July 16, 2013 12:27 AM EDT

Well there is a whole section devoted to roleplaying, so that's probably where I'd put it. Might be a good idea for a blog series actually, I've been wanting to start one of those.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    July 16, 2013 12:30 AM EDT

Awesome, glad my idea inspired you! I was playing around with some character builds and realized I could take skills that were not part of the build and then remove them later provided I got to 100. Mostly I use it on pickpocket to gain lots of wealth near the beginning and then get the perks back later to use elsewhere.

• 74 posts
    July 16, 2013 12:37 AM EDT
    I've added a few scars when I'd take heavy damage on battle, but then it became a hassle curing vampirism over and over.

WARNING: If you sided with the vampires in DG, DON'T CURE YOURSELF (unless you're 100% done being a vampire) they won't give you side quests, even if you become a vampire again.
    • 1441 posts
    April 25, 2014 11:05 PM EDT
    It depends on the build. One of my characters usurped the throne of Skyrim, becoming High King, and forever known as the Usurper-King, he aged.
    • 149 posts
    April 25, 2014 11:51 PM EDT

I kind of did, once. It was with a Nord character who wizened with experience as the game went on. Mostly I just imagine what my characters might be like when they're older...

• 404 posts
    April 27, 2014 3:09 AM EDT
    I do it when I defeated Alduin, and I recently made my character's left eye scared and blind.