Forums » Elder Scrolls

Restartitis

• 147 posts
    June 25, 2013 9:40 PM EDT

For some reason whenever I play skyrim I can't stay on a character, and I don't mean restarting at lvl 30, but I mean restarting at like lvl 5, or before I can even kill my first dragon. its just i lose interest in the character, and realize potential in another character, and repeat. This is incredibly annoying for the fact that this has kept me from beating the main story or any dlc, I would appreciate if someone could help me with this or explain how they solved this problem.

• 147 posts
    June 25, 2013 9:47 PM EDT

But I'm gonna have to focus on skills because if I just focus on all rp during the game, I'll be all over the place with my perk points.

• 291 posts
    June 25, 2013 9:58 PM EDT

Yep.  Get to know him, then have a structure for what you want to do.  Already know what skills and perks you generally want to use so that you don't have to think about it while playing.  Instead, you get to role play the game rather than focusing on min/maxing.

In fact, if you min/max stop it.  Stop it right now.  This isn't an MMO, save it for ESO when you have hundreds of hours and the ability to respec.  Or go play Dragonborn all the way through so you CAN respec.

• 409 posts
    June 25, 2013 10:05 PM EDT
    I had this problem not so long back. I reccomend having a lot for your character to do like instead of having to much free time because your quickly though out character have a character that will be booked all the time so you dont have time to think of other characters.
    • 147 posts
    June 25, 2013 10:12 PM EDT

Thats the thing, there is so many ideas for a character ben that when I'm planning it, I can't make up my mind. 

• 1913 posts
    June 25, 2013 10:25 PM EDT
    just do what i do... play a different game for awhile and then play skyrim
    • 147 posts
    June 25, 2013 10:28 PM EDT

I don't want to play a different game, i want to actually get far in skyrim so that I can do the fun stuff.

• 147 posts
    June 25, 2013 10:28 PM EDT

Theirs nothing fun in levels 1-10 when you did the intro as many times as I did.

• 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 1:21 PM EDT

Like the real problem is, i can't stick to a certain character because I then lose interest in that one and gain interest in another character archetype, and so on.

• 106 posts
    June 28, 2013 1:38 PM EDT

I was in that for so long, it's all about RP. I use my notepad on my iPod to write it all out, (Just don't let anyone see cause it could be deemed nerdy haha). Use Vix's background list to help. And don't blast through boring areas, make them exciting by adding personality to your character. Its the most fun to make a "scarty cat" character on Dead is Dead on master. I did that recently.... Damn Lydia stepped on a pressure plate and brought a spike trap on my face 

• 33 posts
    June 28, 2013 1:42 PM EDT

I have the same problem. I got around it by playing a character that I didn't want to. Even though you want to make a new character, try not to, until you get to a certain level on the current character. That is what I did, but yesterday my Skyrim broke . I just get 'Unrecognized Disc'. Might get a new one soon, though.

• 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 2:48 PM EDT

But rp in skyrim can only go so far with the options you have.

• 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 3:51 PM EDT

Thats the problem ben, you can be that and so much more, but you just can't be everything.

• 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 4:08 PM EDT

And the problem with roleplay for me is I wanna be able to do everything in skyrim without breaking character, like how would a heavily armored mage with a dragon priest mask join the dark brotherhood, or if I were a zealot, why would I join the theives guild? I don't want to miss out on these questlines but I don't want to make a new character to complete them.

• 1913 posts
    June 28, 2013 4:14 PM EDT
    learn to only be able do a few things... i find doing everything is incredibly boring, it strips the character's individuality when another character is just going to be a replacement...
    • 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 6:19 PM EDT

I want a main character is what i mean, I've made and restartred so many characters that i already completed ever guild questline twice, but I never completed a single dlc, or the main questline. I never even completed all of the daedric quest.

• 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 6:20 PM EDT

A main character that I wouldn't have to make another one to play with.

• 1913 posts
    June 28, 2013 6:40 PM EDT
    I have completed every questline at least 6 times (Not counting on the times the game for some reason wouldn't save or I had to reload because of a glitch or my follower died by running into something again (BENOR!!!!!)). When I wanted to try a new playstyle, I created a new character.
    • 1913 posts
    June 28, 2013 6:44 PM EDT
    What's the point in calling it a "main character" when you aren't playing any others? That's just "a character".
  • June 28, 2013 6:45 PM EDT

Aside form the many, many suggestions that you 'roleplay' your character more, here's an alternative - impose gameplay restrictions that tie into your character concept, then find ways to deal with said restrictions. For example, you can try some (but hopefully not all!) of these:

- Buy everything you wield / wear / use from shops

- Buy nothing from shops

- Don't loot certain kinds of things (like gold, food, potions, armor, weapons, books, you name it)

- Stick to a sleep cycle - get at least 6 hours a day, and if you want, only sleep in Inns or bought houses

- Don't sell certain things (like weapons, or jewelry, or anything for that matter)

- Don't sell anything

- Only do miscellaneous quests - ignore questlines and 'main quests'

- Don't use fast travel / have a HUD / pause the game mid-combat / spam potions

As for more role-play-heavy tips, I think these are solid but also change the way you play the game.

- Pick a profession and try to stick to it. For example, a smith might buy ore in town, smelt it, and sell the weapons to shops that can afford them. He might also do some mining as he travels from city to city. An alchemist would pick ingredients on their travels, then make potions to sell. In all cases, don't spam a single item or type of potion - think carefully and plan what you intend to make.

- Make goals for yourself that don't involve questing. After all, everybody has to retire eventually. Figure out what your 'end-game' is, and plan towards it. Do you want to settle down with a family? Buy a manor and lord it over your peers? Gain a reputation far and wide? Become the greatest Bard there's ever been? Determine the necessary steps (without tapping into your knowledge of specific quests) and work towards them. When you've succeeded, well, what happens next? Not every adventure lasts forever.

- Figure out what drives your character - what pushes them to adventure, fame, and fortune. How does this establish their personality? Would this affect the manner in which they prepare for and approach a hazardous quest? When they forge relationships, who would be a kindred spirit in this drive, and who would oppose them? When they fail, how does this change them? What forces your character to doubt them self, and how does he/she see themself in the wider world?

Anyway, I hope you have tons of fun with your next character.

• 147 posts
    June 28, 2013 9:50 PM EDT

well what is the basic stuff A character should have for rp?

• 1913 posts
    June 28, 2013 10:04 PM EDT
    there is a guide made by vix to answer questions about the character, or you can look at matt feeney's post (forgot the name D:)
    • 106 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:43 AM EDT

That was great, I'm gonna benefit from this greatly haha