Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Elder Scrolls: D20 - A Roleplaying Game

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 2:57 AM EDT
    when this is finished we need to play. i call first game since i suggested it. ponty can be our DM
    • 708 posts
    June 27, 2013 3:10 AM EDT

You suggested what? That we need to play?

It'd be more than a little daft if I spent a few weeks making this and just left it alone after that

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 7:03 AM EDT
    yeah... but i met somebody who almost did that ... we were mad :P
    • 708 posts
    June 27, 2013 9:13 AM EDT

Sleight of Hand is done - give it a read, it's quite different from Skyrim's Pickpocket!

• 708 posts
    June 27, 2013 7:51 PM EDT

Finished Security!

• 14 posts
    June 27, 2013 11:03 PM EDT

So far I'm enjoying a lot to read these version of D20 system. I can even see me roleplaying this outside TES universe... but I have only a few points to ask:

Unarmed Combat: We will be considering part of One Handed Skill or it will be as in Skyrim, left behind?

Crafting Skills: Do you pretend to include a special rule for crafting or do you plan to forget about the whole thing? I ask this because without Enchanting I don't see how the Conjuration Adept Perk "Soulstealer Weapons" will be useful. Unless you're planning that souls can be used on something else...

Do you plan to create some sort of "class system" or do you plan to include some sort of base classes as the former TES games, but allowing the player to customize his option if he want to?

I would also like to add that I'm quite anxious to see how the Standard Action: Recover will work in details. As a few of the perks let to understand it will allow the magic combat to keep in the same standards as the martial combat.

• 708 posts
    June 27, 2013 11:19 PM EDT
    1. Fists will count as one-handed weapons that benefit from Dagger perks. Argonians and Khajiit deal extra damage with unarmed attacks and Khajiit's unarmed damage increases with level.
    2. I'm going to stick with no crafting for now, but I'm going to have a few exceptionally powerful spells require soul gems to cast (Thrall spells for example)
    3. Note right at the top of the skills doc: Every time your character levels up, they can increase their rank in any skill and choose a Perk from any rank they have unlocked in that skill. Even after a skill is at Master rank, you can gain more perks in that skill, though you will not get any more rank bonuses Starting out, everyone will have 100 stat points to distribute between Health, Stamina and Magicka (they must, of course, have at least 10 health), 3 skills at Novice rank, and 1 perk for each of those skills. Say I started with One Handed, Block and Heavy Armor, when I leveled up I could start taking loads of Cunning skills for example. I decided that having a freeform skills system without classes was very important.
    4. You don't regain Magicka or Stamina normally during combat. You can spend your Standard Action to Recover which restores some percentage (probably 25% or thereabouts) of your max Magicka and Stamina.
    • 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 2:19 AM EDT

Finished all the skills; moving on to Character Creation (races in particular) next.

• 5 posts
    June 28, 2013 2:54 AM EDT

Just came across this discussion today, and I think that what you're doing is awesome. Good luck.

• 1913 posts
    June 28, 2013 3:04 AM EDT
    is there going to be an allignment system (example: lawful good, chaotic evil)? i feel it would be a mixed blessing... allignments cause arguements, but they also help your character...

and i know someone is going to be an evil pyro and will burn things because "he feels like it"...
    • 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 3:11 AM EDT

Given there isn't any classes like Paladin, Druid or Warlock to really reinforce it, I'm just going to put it in some RP sort of section somewhere later. I'm more concerned about getting the numbers and gameplay working at the moment.

• 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 6:53 AM EDT

Compared to a lot of other Tabletop RPGs (Shadowrun and Dark Heresy are good examples) it's VERY simple. One of the things I'm going for is that it's easy to pick up by both roleplaying and TES veterans.

• 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 7:45 AM EDT

I'm writing the Khajiit race entry, I'm just imagining Mai'q narrating it in third person

"Khajiit can see objects up to 20 metres away in total darkness."

In unarmed combat, Khajiit can use their sharp claws

• 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 7:56 AM EDT

Khajiit get a small bonus on Sleight of Hand checks. One of the Apprentice rank perks for Sleight of Hand unlocks a special Disarm maneuver. See I thought of everything :P

• 14 posts
    June 28, 2013 8:36 AM EDT

Thanks for the answers Ponty! You're doing an excelent job in a very fast pace!

I want to add a few more questions if you don't mind:

Might/Sorcery/Cunning: On the Sneak skill it says that the enemies shall make a cunning check to detect you. Based on this I was thinking: It will have a fixed Attribute for those three (similar to Strenght, Inteligence and Wisdom)?

Creatures: Do you already have plans on creatures? If so, they will follow the same model as the player characters (same skills, same attributes, etc.) but with extra special attacks? Do you plan on including something similar to CR or it will be as old D&D based on common sense?

As soon as you have this thing finished I will try to playtest here in a few local events in Brazil

Great Job!

• 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 8:40 AM EDT

You Might/Sorcery/Cunning scores are the total of all ranks in those types of skills. In D&D terms they basically represent the 6 attributes. I wanted to keep derived stats down to a minimum but also have Spot checks, breaking down doors etc based on what you've put ranks in.

As for creatures, I haven't really given it much thought yet. I'll probably do up a playtest module just using player race enemies - crappy enemies like low-level bandits say would just have 1 rank (probably a weapon skill) and 30-40 attribute points to distribute. This'll all be clearer once I finish off the character creation chapter.

• 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 9:17 AM EDT

Alright, all the races are done

• 365 posts
    June 28, 2013 10:18 AM EDT

Mai'q approves of Khajiit's 20ft Darkvision!

• 365 posts
    June 28, 2013 10:19 AM EDT

So is this going to be something we play on the Blog, like Blackwoods, or what? I understand the concept just not how we are meant to play it.

• 1 posts
    June 28, 2013 10:27 AM EDT

I think there is a spelling mistake in the ligth armor section.

Light armor offer better protection then light armor.

Or something like that. :)

But looking good, and i'm impressed with the time you are putting in this. :)

• 14 posts
    June 28, 2013 10:28 AM EDT

I think this can be played as PbF here at the blog, but in my case I will be using this on my own tabletop sessions. (I actually don't like PbF too much)

• 1913 posts
    June 28, 2013 10:49 AM EDT
    i assume we will play a game during a chat event or we could ask emer to make a chat box group for it
    • 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 7:04 PM EDT

It's supposed to be played the same way you'd play D&D - on a tabletop with other people or over Skype/a chatroom if you can't do that.

• 708 posts
    June 28, 2013 7:08 PM EDT

Haha thanks for picking that up, I haven't really gone through and proof-read it yet!

• 708 posts
    June 29, 2013 12:14 AM EDT

Attached an early version of the character sheet.