Forums » Elder Scrolls

One Race to Rule Them All: History, Lore, and Favoritism!

• 1595 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:37 PM EDT

Not really, see all one does by rejecting something is stopping the conversation dead. There's no farther we can take it from there. However, it becomes an argument and unconstructive when one tries to convince others to reject it too and the other side tries to convince them not to. At this stage it's best to let the matter rest, neh?

• 6 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:47 PM EDT

Ok this is off topic but will someone PLZ tell where the page is on this blog that shows all the replies I've gotten??? I hate searching through endless posts to find mine and see if anyone commented on it. 

• 6 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:49 PM EDT

Udefrykte really wasn't that bad. If one of my chars was too weak to take him on, I just snuck past him

• 1217 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:50 PM EDT

There really isn't. You can go to your setting and make the blog send you an email for any activity on things you've commented on, but I don't think it will filter it to comment replies.

• 6 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:52 PM EDT

Ugh that's annoying and something that should be added. Thanks for replying :)

• 1595 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:54 PM EDT

Ok, I concede there are two separate arguments; for/against C0DA, and the concept of no canon. I have no wish to discuss the former because it becomes meaningless. I have no objection to discussing interpretations of TES lore however.

So an opinion like "I reject" will be met with "fine, let's move on" whereas an opinion like "Talos is in fact a giant mudcrab" will be met with "wow, why do you think such a thing?" If the answer to that is "he's a god he can be what he wants?" I'd say,"fair enough, but is he actually a god?" and so on...

Arcanus, may I suggest you start a discussion and see if there is a consensus? It could spiral out of control but if you really want to debate the validity of C0DA that is the way to go. You might even get more people for and against who haven't come across it before and open up lore access to some new guys.

• 1217 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:56 PM EDT

No problem :)It's the hazard with platforms like ning/wordpress vs. a custom built website. We have to work with what they give, else I'm sure the honchos here would have included a suitable feature a long time ago.

• 661 posts
    April 8, 2014 4:58 PM EDT

I don't know. I believe in individuality, so you'll have to get an answer from someone else.

• 127 posts
    April 8, 2014 6:30 PM EDT

Bretons or Redguards.

• 106 posts
    April 9, 2014 12:42 AM EDT

gonna agree on this one. Bretons get the best of both world (man and mer blood), and redguards are the most proficient and strongest warriors on Tamriel.

BUT the real race that will win has to be one of the Akaviri races

• April 9, 2014 7:09 AM EDT
    Bosmer. After all the fighting is done, they will come out of their hiding spots and have a feast! When the rest see them they will be too weak after vomiting their guts out(not many understand the Bosmeri, and few have the stomach to see them in action) to fight back, and if they run, they'll be shot in the back. If the enemy charges... Let's say the towns would never need to hire any more guards :P
    • 2 posts
    April 9, 2014 9:38 PM EDT

As much as I hate to say this, but I think the High elves will dominate Nirn. Honestly, I don't high elves, but their army is impenatrable! Just think about it, the great war, The imperials and nords almost died. And the altermeri dominian were still powerful. They had a plan, to get rid of all man-kind, not just man itself, but all traces and ruins of man. This race really hate men. They will devour all. They have the magic and the artillery. Their history is just as interesting. I honestly think the high elves will devour Nirn. Even if every humanr race rebelled, they would still win

• 2 posts
    April 9, 2014 9:38 PM EDT

Dude really? its high elves

• April 9, 2014 11:30 PM EDT
    Well the Great War was considered by most to be a victory for the Dominion (freedom to observe Imperial affairs and they still have their extremely powerful navy to stop anyone from attacking them), they lost a heavy amount of soldiers in the Battle of Red Ring.

We also don't know, for a fact, what the Dominion's goal is. Some subscribe to MK's theory that they want to destroy the world and erase man, but until it's stated by one of the direct leaders of the Dominion, I don't buy it. Even if they do want that, it only means the Dominion wants to do that, not every Altmer supports the Dominion.

Although I do find the Altmer interesting (mainly their psychology and personality, not their politics), that doesn't mean they'll win. And if every human race united and rebelled...well you've got the Redguards (who already kicked the Dominion out), the Nords (who are out of reach of the Dominion's current position), the Bretons (skilled Battlemages, as well as many wealthy lords), and the Imperials (the Colovians and the Nibenese. Highly disciplined legions and genius politicians, respectively).
    • 74 posts
    April 9, 2014 11:42 PM EDT

I don't believe the Dominion won the war. Sure, they got two of their initial demands (Talos worship banned and Blades disbanded), but their war aims changed in the course of the war to the complete destruction of the Empire and they failed at that quite dramatically. They also lost much of their disposable military power at Red Ring.

Granted, the Empire ceded them southern Hammerfell, so one could argue they got all of their demands, but the Dominion lost that to the Redguards in the end. The Empire was also clearly prepared to be... unenthusiastic... about enforcing the ban on Talos, until Ulfric turned it into an issue too large to ignore by his actions at and after Markarth.

In terms of relative strength, the Empire came out of the war better off, while the Dominion continued to bleed men and materiel in Hammerfell. Subsequent events in Skyrim may undermine the Empire's position, but those are irrelevant in deciding winners and losers at the time of the Concordat. At best, the Dominion could call it a draw and given the greater ease with which the humans of the Empire can make good their loses, a draw is a loss for the Dominion.

Mind you, I don't think it really matters because I think Akavir will be ascendent.

• April 9, 2014 11:52 PM EDT
    I did say "considered by most..." I always considered it a draw. However you bring up good points that I haven't thought of.
    • 74 posts
    April 10, 2014 12:12 AM EDT

Something else that just occurred to me... Obviously the Emperor couldn't just roll over and give up Talos worship without a fight, but after the war... was it really that hard for Titus Mede II to throw it to the Dominion as a consolation?

The Septim dynasty had an obvious connection to Talos and reaped a clear prestige benefit from promoting his worship being (nominally) his actual living descendents and all. To the Medes, on the other hand, isn't Talos' status as Lord of the Divines a constant subtle reminder that they're upstarts, one step removed from usurpers of the imperial authority?

And again, enforcement of the ban seems to have been lax, before the Stormcloak Rebellion brought it front and center. As long as Talos wasn't being proclaimed Lord of the Divines in Cyrodiil it would have served the dynastic ambitions of the Medes. Who would care what the provincials do?

Given that the Blades were no longer the official imperial bodyguards and had their numbers vastly reduced by the slaughter they suffered in Dominion lands just before the Great War, did disbanding them really cost the Empire anything, either?

Giving up Hammerfell was a real cost... or was it? After ordering the abandonment of Hammerfell's defense to concentrate troops for the Battle of Red Ring, I would argue the ill will that would lead to secession was already seeded. Letting it become the Dominion's problem (and a quagmire for them) was probably the best probable outcome. Obviously it couldn't be given up before the war, but after the way the war was conducted wasn't it more like giving up something that was already lost?

In short, Hammerfell was lost - and that hurt - but it wasn't lost to the Dominion, so it doesn't count one way or the other in decided who won.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get that anyone could see a Dominion victory and the further my thinking pulls away from a draw, even. Titus Mede II didn't surrender anything at the time of the Concordat that either hadn't already been lost or that didn't personally benefit him and his to lose.

The only spanner in the works would turn out to be Ulfric and the Stormcloaks and they couldn't be predicted at the end of the Great War.

• 55 posts
    April 10, 2014 8:32 AM EDT

What sources do you have for claiming what the goal of the dominion in the war is? Thinking specifically of  "complete destruction of the empire"

• 15 posts
    April 10, 2014 10:44 AM EDT

I disagree in some fundamental aspects. This was a victory for the Aldmeri Dominion on the religious, political and military dimensions. 

An independent Hamerfell gave precedence to other regions wishing to be independent, creating a credibility crisis for the Empire. A crisis initiated by Black Marsh and subsequent disasters that befell Morrowind. 

The war was fought mainly in Cyrodill and Hamerfell, not only many lives were lost but also the productive capabilities of these regions has been damaged quite severely i would say. With Skyrim going through a civil war, the Empire deviates resources needed for its reconstruction and it can only rely on two regions for the humongous effort: Cyrodill and High Rock.

This also shows the change in strategy the Dominion has done. They understand that given time the Empire could recover, so they decided to support indirectly and directly any dissident groups and sentiments in every region it can reach. Something facilitated by the articles of the White-Gold Concordat. I wonder if the Dominion has approached House Redoran or any other faction with clear anti-imperial sentiment.

Furthermore, the Dominion also has an even greater advantage over the Empire than before: positioning. With Hamerfell independent any response the Empire could have to the Dominion navy has weakened substantially. Remember the Niben is the life-line of the Empire and the Dominion can easily control it by sea and land thanks to the general strategic positioning of its forces and allies.

The Dominion doesn't actually need to conquer Tamriel, they just need to split it up. Diplomacy with different smaller kingdoms is an attractive possibility as they can exercise their influence without a lot of resources and energy.  

The Empire would be wise to cement as many alliances as they can get their hands on. For the elves this has just begun. 

• April 10, 2014 11:02 AM EDT

I have a question. If one was to totally remove elven civilization, could they survive? Man has been in the mud since time immemorial. If the elves have all that taken away, and everything is set back to '0' for men and elves, would the elves be able to cope as well as the men?

That being said,  if the elves steamroll over the races of men, I doubt they'll ever be truly conquered. All of mankind would become like the Forsworn.

Honestly, I don't even see how the Dominion is going to last another 100 years. They took control when the Empire was Emperor-less, and when they were struggling. The Dominion are opportunists, and the Empire won't give them another opportunity to do anything. The Dominion is on the way out. 

• 15 posts
    April 10, 2014 11:43 AM EDT

The Dominion doesn't want to "steamroll" anybody.

Their conflict is cultural, religious and political. The racial factor is not an issue for them, the emphasis on one race is. All non-man provinces already separated from the Empire before the Great War and for good reason.

Talos is often described as an advocate and chief deity of the Empire before the concordat. Not smart when you want to unite different races under one banner. You must create a common ground for it, religion did this quite well until Talos. He advocates a man-centric model, all non-man races will have nothing to do with it.

Meaning their objectives aren't invasion in the typical sense, the only territorial gains they wanted was the coast of Hammerfell to expand their area of influence enough to safeguard their position.

History in TESO shows the Altmer as a very conservative and isolationist nation, they aren't the aggressors and don't want to be. The war and their conflict with the Empire is a response to centuries of aggression to their civilization. 

Militarily speaking the Dominion has a very strong position. I very much doubt they could take out the Dominion through conventional means without uniting the other human provinces first. 

• April 10, 2014 11:55 AM EDT

I very much disagree with race not being an issue for them. Cultural Domination of man means total erasing of what it means to be a man. They will become like the men on akavir, assimilated to the point where we can't tell if the akviri are men, or if they're something else. The religion of the Empire is the religion of the elves. Heaven forbid man put his own mark on things. 

If I was Emperor, I would tear down the elven pillars of society, even if it means a temporary depression, just to show man doesn't need them. I would drag man through the mud, just to be free of their stagnant and domineering 'culture.' I would build up unique culture of man, free from the elves. 

The Dominion in TESO is not the Dominion in Skyrim.  The 3rd Dominion is aggressive, expansionist, and ideologues seeking to erase what little Independence man has eeked out for themselves.  

• April 10, 2014 12:26 PM EDT

So, what you're saying is, the elves have more say in the religion than the humans do, wouldn't that make it theirs since they appear to own it? 

And yes, it was a justifiable, and praiseworthy pre-battle speech. 

• April 10, 2014 12:38 PM EDT

Didn't Alesia combine the two because the humans who were slaves were used to the Elves religion, and the Nords who helped wouldn't let that slide? The elves didn't have a significant voice in that.  It was between humans, and human kingdoms. 

• April 10, 2014 12:57 PM EDT

I'm saying after they rebelled, not because. The Aldmer were already gone by this time, and the Bosmer and Altmer were happening. The Chimmer might still be around, though...

Sounds like Alessia made a deal with the devil.