Forums » Elder Scrolls

One Race to Rule Them All: History, Lore, and Favoritism!

• June 18, 2013 1:34 AM EDT
    Tough to say. Now that the Forebears (the original Redguard settlers, supported the Empire and its traditions, not so much anymore) and the Crowns (settlers that came afterwards but they were the royalty, they believe in the old ways and are very much traditionalists) are no longer fighting, they should be able to get a better set of politics going and maybe even set-up a standing army (they mainly use local militia and knightly orders), that's the long term plan (I think), the short term is where it'll be tough. They originally relied on the legion, and it may take awhile to replace that power.

As for the old gods, I really don't know for sure. The pantheon is weird in that it has traditional gods (Leki, Onsi, etc.), heroes turned gods (Diagna, beat Septim by a couple eras), the creation gods whose status in Hammerfell is still a mystery (Ruptga, I don't know if he's still worshipped. Wish they made another game in Hammerfell), a couple gods similar to Imperial ones, and a couple regional ones (Diagna in the Dragontail Mountains, Ebonarm in the Iliac Bay). It just hurts my brain :P
    • 152 posts
    June 18, 2013 1:45 AM EDT

hrm. The human races, two mer, and one beast race have the potential out of the races currently IN Tamriel.

Well, Imperials ARE the obvious choice, since they have conquered the world a couple of times :P. But, since they are so split now (Lord of Souls) between east and west, they are a defunct force without a strong leader who can unite them.

The Nords are awesome in their own rights, but don't have the all round traits to win a total war. Their outlook on magic and mages is their real letdown.

The Bretons COULD do it I suppose, since they are much less divided then they were in the past (pre Warp in the West) as I understood that bit of lore. Balanced enough as a race to possible win a war.

Redguards have a real calling here, seeing as their whole province was gained by an invasion :P. good balance in their armed forces, can be sneaky or just blunt in warriors, good mage potential. They could if they wanted, and had the planning and opprotunities

The Bosmer can't. They just suck.

Dunmer could I suppose, but have the whole numbers/breeding thing against them. They are balanced enough as a society, just don't have the numbers for protracted war.

The Altmer have tried, but have the whole racist agenda against them. could never hold anything permanently. Not like that's their goal, but.... meh. Plus the numbers game again

the Orismer definently could if they could get their people to agree not to kill each other and act as a nation, not scattered tribes. Their lack of magic is offset by their tremendous warrior potential and smithing/enchanting skills.

The Khajiit have great potential, with the different breeds, but don't have the will to. They don't mind just being the shady traders.

The Argonians.... Emer will like this one. The argonians were the only race to completely destroy the invading daedric forces during the oblivion crisis without a hero, ect. IF the Hist can exert enough control over them, and inspire them to start rick rolling over the other provinces, they could possibly conquer everything. Main problem with this is the lack of Hist trees outside of Black Marsh, which are the reason, if I read it right, the argonians knew the Daedra were going to invade. However, if the Hist do not want to go to war, I doubt the argonians will.

None of these races, however, could conquer the others with the rest allied against them. there is just no physical or magical way to, sheer numbers and fronts would destroy and crush them..

The one race to defy this would be the Dwemer, but they are gone from this plane of existence. But if they were to return, and get their cities and factories back in working order quickly, they have the means to, with their automaton armies.

• 152 posts
    June 18, 2013 1:45 AM EDT

whew that was long

• 1595 posts
    June 18, 2013 1:46 AM EDT

Elder Scrolls lore hurts, don't it?

If the Stormcloaks won the Civil War in Skyrim, could you see a Hammerfell and Skyrim alliance?

• 26 posts
  • June 18, 2013 1:57 AM EDT
    Well here's a quote from Vix. "According to a particular journal the Redguards seem to dislike Ulfric as much if not more because of his inaction compounded by the war of Bend'r-mahk creating a general animosity between Redguards and Nords." But the War of Bend'r-Mahk was awhile ago (late 3rd Era), so I'm not ready to take that 'particular journal' as set in stone (though I really hope they don't team up). At the same time, the Nords heavily worship Shor/Lorkhan, and the Redguards distrust him, so that may cause a big sway against an alliance.
    • 1595 posts
    June 18, 2013 1:59 AM EDT

Interesting, cheers Matt

• 152 posts
    June 18, 2013 2:05 AM EDT

lol yeah. he dies too much

• 152 posts
    June 18, 2013 2:08 AM EDT

Its because they are a race with a lot of disunity, and a lack of central leadership. If they were to solve those two problems....

• June 18, 2013 2:22 AM EDT
    I disagree with you about the Argonians, they tend to be pretty rubbish in open battles, they excel in small guerrilla skirmishes.

And the Redguards currently have no standing army (they relied on local militia, knightly orders, and the legion, the last if which is obviously gone). But since the Forebears and Crowns are no longer fighting, they be able to set one up soon enough.
    • 152 posts
    June 18, 2013 2:37 AM EDT

My opinion on the argonians was mostly based upon their performance during the oblivion crisis. Before that, I know they were horrible in pitched battle, but things can change.

And the redguards, well, meh. I wouldn't be surprised if they would have one set up before the next great war rocks tamriel.

• June 18, 2013 2:50 AM EDT
    Indeed, they absolutely dominated Dagon's forces. Though I think they will remain more suited to guerrilla warfare (though they did take over southern Morrowind). And if the Forebears and Crowns can get along for a prolonged period of time, they should put be able to set up a standing army.
  • Tim
    • 89 posts
    June 18, 2013 3:52 PM EDT

I give it to the Imperials, because they historically demonstrated the ability to do so. They're weak and splintered because of the Aldmeri Dominion, but even so they managed to drive them off. They have a track record of hundreds of years, not to mention been in charge in all of the TES games.

Theorize all you want, nothing beats a proven track record. Sure the Empire has had it's problems over the years, but it's pretty damned impressive that things have been relatively unified and stable

• 360 posts
    June 18, 2013 5:06 PM EDT

human in general, preferably colovian in my opinion, but that does not mean i don't have loads of respect towards the redguard agility, nord strenth, and breton magic. my opinion is slightly afected by the fact that i come from an italian family so im "imperial" irl. 

• 360 posts
    June 18, 2013 5:21 PM EDT

we need the septim empire back, the human races have too much similarities to have the racial barriers that other races have. if the humans banded together they could just go head first against the other races and one by one they fall...

• 14 posts
    January 1, 2014 6:20 PM EST

I feel Like if the Dunmer could get their crap together and form one army (Which probably will never happen. Considering it would be far too out of character for them.)

But if you look at it they have all they would need, Skilled warriors, Powerful sorcerers, and Brilliant assassins, not to mention the hybrid classes they can become. They also have an instinct to dominate as seen with their use of slavery. The fact they would probably have the Deadra assisting them at times. That and Morrowind is full of mysteries, and I feel we don't quite know all their secrets just yet.

But like I said I cant imagine that will happen anytime soon as the Dunmer are known to stab each other in the back. anyone agree, or have a reason they wont? (aside from Dunmer suck)

• 1441 posts
    March 23, 2014 2:54 PM EDT
    Bretons, hands down. Hybrid race of man and mer, spell resistance, dragon skin, and they took over after the elves died out
    • 1 posts
    March 24, 2014 11:58 AM EDT

Yeah I agree, a small number of them defeated the Bretons. Redguards and Order of Diagna in the Seige of Orsinium although at a great cost but still they are a truly powerful force!

• 108 posts
    March 24, 2014 1:07 PM EDT

Godwin's law seems to be powerless in here. Kudos.

• 1217 posts
    March 24, 2014 1:12 PM EDT

The Redguards or Imperials seem the most adaptable to the different environments of Tamriel, able to confront other races on their home turf and capitalize on the disadvantages others would face if they invaded. I'd probably expect the Bretons to lump in with the Imperials, but they're close enough to the Redguards that an alliance there might work. But that would be more like two races than a Breton/Imperial alliance.

• 74 posts
    March 24, 2014 3:09 PM EDT

Ka Po' Tun. They've figured out how to turn into DRAGONS. Turn into dragons. Dragons. Turn into.

Game Over button right there, just as soon as they finish wiping out the Tsaesci.

• 1217 posts
    March 24, 2014 3:14 PM EDT

But the Redguard have curved swords. Curved. Swords. Seriously though, I hadn't considered the Akaviri races. Turning into dragons is as good a trump card as any.

• April 8, 2014 9:03 AM EDT

It looks like the crowns and the forebears are boxing. 

• 661 posts
    April 8, 2014 10:53 AM EDT

North African-Japanese.

• 661 posts
    April 8, 2014 10:56 AM EDT

Is that true? Isn't that propaganda? I don't think the High Elves are that cold blooded to kill off their young. Sure the young of others, but not their own. Unless there was some sort of internal conflict that caused them to lose their civility.