Forums » Elder Scrolls

Corrupted save files

• 27 posts
    June 16, 2013 9:42 AM EDT

I just bought the Hearthfire and Dragonborn contents (I know a little late) and all of a sudden a couple of my save files a corrupted and I'm unable to load them.
    I don't know if this is the cause of the DLC that I just downloaded because I never had this problem before.

Do you guys know how to fix this?
    Or did you had the same problem?

Please let me know because I would be pretty bummed out if all my saves are lost.
    (And "bummed out" would be an understatement)

• 40 posts
    June 16, 2013 9:56 AM EDT

I hate to say this but I don't think there is anything you can do. You could try going back to a previous save and see if that works but otherwise a corrupted save is a wash.

I always copy my saves and put them in another folder on my desk top before I make any changes to the game and this includes mods or anything else.

I haven't had that happen yet.

• 27 posts
    June 16, 2013 11:19 AM EDT

Man this sucks, I was a level 43 stealth dude with a high alchemy and enchanting level that sucks to level again.
    Thankfully I have more characters, but this one is lost,he has been send to the void to join Sithis. 

• 40 posts
    June 16, 2013 11:52 AM EDT

You know I was thinking do you load through Steam? Steam might have it saved for you and maybe it will load again is the only thing that I can think of. I disabled that option so I can get rid of saves. But I just checked with my husband who is a programmer and he said unless the save file exists somewhere else, then once it is corrupted it is gone. I am sorry.

• 27 posts
    June 16, 2013 1:01 PM EDT

Nah I don't load through Steam, so I'm pretty much f*cked.
    But it's weird that the moment I installed Hearthfire and Dragonborn it went wrong.

Well thanks anyway. :)

• 22 posts
    June 16, 2013 2:43 PM EDT

Had the same problem on 360 a few months back, really is a pain in the ass.

• 27 posts
    June 16, 2013 5:00 PM EDT

Well now I'm just exploring Solstheim with my bad-ass Nord warrior Krunäc.

Trying to make the best of it.

Did the DLC's also caused it in your experience?

• 661 posts
    June 16, 2013 5:14 PM EDT

Don't you just hate it whne this shit happens to your badasses?

• 1913 posts
    June 16, 2013 5:17 PM EDT
    it happened to me once... restarted the game, everything was fine :P
    • 106 posts
    June 16, 2013 8:22 PM EDT

Never happened to me (knock on wood) but I'm sorry that happened. For me, characters come and go as quickly as my turds in the toilet, I make too many builds

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    June 17, 2013 12:36 AM EDT

I honestly don't mind when I lose a character, it's just an opportunity for a fresh start to me. It does still sting a little though, you have my condolences

• 27 posts
    June 17, 2013 2:37 AM EDT

My badasses deserve better than this.

• 27 posts
    June 17, 2013 2:40 AM EDT

Yeah normally I don't care as well, but with this one I spended alot of time improving my alchemy and enchating and that just takes so much time, creating all those blue butterflies and blue mountainflower potions.

• 40 posts
    June 17, 2013 7:37 AM EDT

If you stay level one, you can run around Whiterun and Riverwood area and collect them in about 20 minutes max real time. Then once you have 3000 septims (don't level- stay level one) you can go to Winterhold and buy 100 petty soul gems at level one. It takes about 2 rounds, waiting 48 hours in between of course so maybe 30 minutes or so real time. in the grand scheme of things really not that long. I do it with a lot of characters since Mason had this on his build- The Arcane Archer.

Then if you really want to take another short cut you can give them to Lydia give them a weapon (I think this works best if you don't have someone that uses a bow) that steals souls, and take them down to the little river outside Whiterun, have them kill a crab and it fills them all in one shot unless they fixed it last patch. I don't know but worth a try.

• 27 posts
    June 17, 2013 10:32 AM EDT

Oke thanks I'll keep that in mind.

I always use the "Banish" enchantment that upgrades your skills really fast, but it won't appear until you are a high level I think.

And I have Hearthfire now and you have salmonroe(?) or something like that, and I heard that is really good to level alchemy.

Thanks ;)

• 40 posts
    June 17, 2013 11:44 AM EDT

I still need to get Hearthfire but thanks to you I will be saving my games first before installation.

So thanks for that.  

• 27 posts
    June 18, 2013 2:01 AM EDT

But the weird thing is, is that I did just that.
    I saved my game with the character I was currently playing with, then I installed Hearthfire and when I played the game again it was corrupted.
    I don't know if this happens alot, but if you want to be sure you can make a copie of your savegame.

But I'm glad to be of service