Forums » Elder Scrolls

DEBATE: Co-Operative Play in The Elder Scrolls

• 33 posts
    June 14, 2013 5:43 AM EDT

I believe co-operative play should be added in the next Elder Scrolls game, because I have always believed that it would be more likely if you were part of a… fellowship if you will, because it makes more sense if 3-4 people helped Martin and stop Mehrunes Dagon from entering Nirn. It would make more sense if a fellowship of people banded together to stop the world eater.

I also believe the next elder scrolls game will be the biggest yet (wishful thinking to explain why it was a bit dumbed down from Oblivion (spell crafting y u no in Skyrim) and Morrowind (where ist thou levitation spell)) and we stop the Aldmeri Dominion from reverting Mundus to the Dawn Era, and we have to unite all the provinces to stop the dire threat of the dominion. It would be well implemented to band together with 3-4 friends and do this!

I’m not insinuating that they get rid of SP game-play  it would still be implemented, just that co-operative play would be a welcome addition to The Elder Scrolls franchise.

Finally, because The Elder Scrolls Online looks like it will be a grand success, which would mean that Bethesda can see people want online play with their friends in an Elder Scrolls game. Also, the world is too large to partake alone, and while SP will still be present, co-operative play will be welcome in mine, and I’m sure in many others eyes.

What are your views of the Implementation of Co-Operative play in skyrim, please give well reasoned responses not just "I agree" or "I disagree"

• 12 posts
    June 14, 2013 8:23 AM EDT

I completely agree! While I've never used co-operative play myself, I can only imagine how much easier some of the enemies of skyrim would be if you had the support of a few other dovahkiin's. For me personally, I hate using the followers present in skyrim. But if I were able to find two or three other dovahkiin's around the world to help, then the game would be so much easier. You could build an army of dovahkiin's and tailor your army to fit your current needs. Many people would love to be able to do this. Three dovahkiin's, one army to rule the world of tamriel! Muahahahahaha!

• June 14, 2013 8:29 AM EDT

I thought they were gonna put it in Skyrim. But Bethesda doesn't take what the fan wants into consideration. 

• 33 posts
    June 14, 2013 8:16 PM EDT

Aye, and this line tells me they may have planned co-op:

And so the tongues freed us, from Alduins rage

Tongues not tongue tongues plural not singular.

• 229 posts
    June 14, 2013 9:33 PM EDT

They do, as a matter of, they put Dragons into  the game as a thing because everyone wanted them. I just believe it's really hard to do something like that in a game like Skyrim, because you'd first have to think, how would the beginning change? Who would be the Dovahkiin? Because everyone can't be the Dovahkiin at the same time, that'd be crazy and Waaay to easy to kill bosses if they all were. I would love co-op, but everyone having the own character, and how it would affect the story, it's way much. It would cause disputes among some players over loot and who would get to be Dovahkiin. Now, it would make sense if they let people join in and take over certain people, because it wouldn't affect the story, and they could still level up. They could also create a certain character with an already established story, as well as male and female voice actors.

• 33 posts
    June 15, 2013 1:47 AM EDT

In co-operative play enemies could have a greater difficulty rating than in the vanilla game. Which renders your point about being to OP moot. However, your point about there being to many Dovahkiins still remains valid.

However, I am talking about the next Elder Scrolls Game, and the likely hood that we will be Dovahkiin is very slim. We will most likely be a champion of the people and help destroy the Dominion and help unite a new empire under the rule of a new Emporer or whatnot.

Finally, and most importantly: If you don't like it, don't play it. 

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:37 AM EDT

I know, besides, I love the Elder Scrolls, it's just that the System of the Dovahkiin would be strange. I mean, the chance that four dragonborns are all together at the same place at the same time would be to wierd and unlikely. Also, the OP thing still stands. For example, If they all had shouts, how would several people using shouts like storm call, summon dragon, and slow time be? It'd be crazy, and while I do agree and think Bethesda would make the enemies tougher, if they were all Dragonborns they could Fus Ro Dah a boss in cycles, or keep slowing time, and just keeping hitting them. It also would have changed a large amount of the story in Skyrim, and I doubt for the better. Also, In my personal opinion, I think the likely hood of being a Dragonborn is zero in the next game, because it would make the Dragonborn in Skyrim less unique and it also wouldn't fit well with the lore if they did it any other place than Skyrim, which we aren't returning to. Besides, Skyrim has the word walls, Dragons, and the Greybeards, so no shouts in the next game is pretty certain. No offense intended by the way, I feel as if when I explain my point of view over typing, it seems like I'm trying to be condescending.

As for the Dominion, I think that'd be cool, however I wouldn't start of as a champion of the people, because every other game you usually start as an unrecognized prisoner, and being an instantly popular chosen hero would ruin the idea that you're an amazing power slowly coming to light that your enemies don't know. However, I have a feeling that the next game will be a war with the dominion, and I think a great place to have stuff like that is in Valenwood and Elswyr, which are next to each other and have an interesting history.

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:40 AM EDT

I personally think they just did it because it sounds better and "tongue" wouldn't have as much impact in the song as tongues. However, that is a very perceptive observation, I would no doubt,  never be able to spot that.

• 33 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:43 AM EDT

I should have been more specific. We would likely still start off as unrecognized and become a champion (plural with Co-op) and be shaped by the events, either for the better or for the worse (come on fame and infamy where ist thou?!)

• 229 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:45 AM EDT

It would be cool that way, because if there isn't a unique prophecy about them like in Skyrim or Morrowind you can have awesome heroes that still go along with the story and fit the lore

• 49 posts
    June 15, 2013 4:44 AM EDT

Isn't this exactly the reason why we have ESO? I am completely okay with the fact that Skyrim is SP and i see absolutely no reason to put it in there. By the way, there are a lot of Co-op games lately and Skyrim is one of the few that stays fun when playing alone.

• 33 posts
    June 15, 2013 4:51 AM EDT

No, it's not.

ESO is exclusively MP, I'm talking about a singleplayer game with the option to play CO-OP. Also, like a lot of SP games with a co-op options (Dead island) or a MP option (red dead redemption)

EDIT: And if you do not want it, do not play it

• 26 posts
    June 17, 2013 12:32 AM EDT

I would like to see co-op as long as I can kill my fellow player, how much fun would that be. Unfortunately most of the games I am meant to co-op in I end up fighting my partner.

• 116 posts
    June 17, 2013 2:05 AM EDT

Gotta agree there, Alain.  I can't say I see any good reason to add in co-op just because.  It seems like, for some reason, that every game needs to have a co-op option.  They don't... they just don't.

• 116 posts
    June 17, 2013 2:07 AM EDT

Yeah... if there IS co-op added to an Elder Scrolls game, attacking your partner had better be an optional situation that you both need to agree on for it to take effect.  I can't imagine how annoying it would be for your supposed partner to suddenly just start attacking you for no reason.

• 158 posts
    June 17, 2013 6:10 AM EDT

The thing is that the elder scrolls has always been a single player, immersive experience with a (mostly) consistent world. I feel the co-op has the potential to detract from this experience. Sticking with that whole consistent thing, what's to say your co-op partner doesn't go on a rampage and slaughter any Non-essential NPC that may have the potential to be essential in future, or kill any of the vendors.

ESO was bethesdas way of bringing multiplayer to the Elder scrolls without taking away from the single player experience we all know and love.

Also, if you want to go solo in ESO, you can. They say, as a main selling point, that however you tackle ESO is up to you; in a party, solo, or even part of an entire army, it's your choice.

• 365 posts
    June 17, 2013 6:41 AM EDT

Well in ESO you can be in a party so there IS Co-op play in the next Elder Scrolls.....

But agreed, ever since I have done so, Co-op is SO much more fun than playing on your own....

• 81 posts
    June 17, 2013 6:59 AM EDT
    I wouldn't mind it being a part of the next tes game if it were done well. It would be more fun in a fellowship and also make more sense if you're trying to unite Tamriel against the Aldmeri. However if you did have to unite the land they should add some sort of time limit before the Dominion attacks (I doubt they'll sit around waiting for their enemies to get stronger). If we were part of a fellowship then we could send some members to talk to the High King of Skyrim while the others go to Valenwood.
    Enemies would also have to be stronger and in bigger numbers so that you could actually feel challenged and there would be another reason for you to join others.
    • 229 posts
    June 17, 2013 10:48 AM EDT

I think why is because people look at Skyrim, this huge world with so many possibilities that we all enjoy and we wonder, wouldn't it be fun to run around this world with someone else? To watch your back and clear out dungeons with you? I sure have, it's a dream of sharing an amazing adventure with someone else.