Forums » The Lounge

Help with a Build Name

• 116 posts
    June 13, 2013 10:46 AM EDT

I am nearing completion of a build and am a bit stumped for a name that is simple and yet evocative of the character I have created.  My original name no longer fits due to shifts in how I have role-played him as well as some changes in skills since then.

A short summary of him:

• He is a sword and board warrior/knight with just a splash of destruction magic

• He has dedicated his life to making a "vision" he had become reality... regardless of the morality of such decisions.

I wanted to go with something akin to "Zealot" but found that name has already been used.  Any suggestions for me?

• 49 posts
    June 13, 2013 10:52 AM EDT

Well, what does the character reminds you of? Then you put a cool adjective with that and BAM! you're done.

• 116 posts
    June 13, 2013 10:56 AM EDT

I suppose it really is that simple, isn't it? *brainstorms a bit*

• 1483 posts
    June 13, 2013 10:59 AM EDT

Thesaurus is your friend: link. If none of them fits, try searching for groups with that kind of skillset in lore or in real world. Or use your RP to define a name.

• 116 posts
    June 13, 2013 11:03 AM EDT

You have no idea how much I love thesauruses... they were a god-send in naming characters in City of Heroes since all character names had to be unique on each server.  I just have fallen flat in terms of inspiration and thought a gentle nudge from one of you fine folks might kick me in a new direction.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 22 posts
    June 13, 2013 11:05 AM EDT

What about like "The Visionary" or The Crusader" or "The Partisan" or something? (I dunno, just looking at synonyms...)

• 116 posts
    June 13, 2013 11:10 AM EDT

I think Visionary moves in the right direction, but his focus is more on the fact that he is attempting to follow this vision so blindly... regardless of moral obstacles.

In terms of Skyrim for instance, he killed Fultheim in cold-blood simply because he had a Blades sword that resembled the one he possessed in his vision.  It literally defines his life at this point.

• 89 posts
    June 13, 2013 12:34 PM EDT

What about "The Devotee"?

• 116 posts
    June 13, 2013 12:38 PM EDT

I contemplated that one... but it sounds just a little too positive.  I am toying with the name "Caecus Oculatus" which means "the blinded eye" and, apparently, carries a connotation of moral blindness as well.

I think it works well since a signature piece is the Penitus Oculatus armor.

Thoughts?

• 89 posts
    June 15, 2013 12:46 AM EDT

Maybe "The Obsessed" or "The Oathkeeper" if you say that he swore a vow to fulfill the vision.. I like the idea, having taken Latin and knowing what it means, but I don't know if someone else would click on it, merely because they don't know what it is.

• 490 posts
    June 15, 2013 12:53 AM EDT
    Oathkeeper sounds badass! Sorry for taking Zealot, man.
    • 116 posts
    June 15, 2013 2:00 AM EDT

Totally okay, your Zealot build fits the name very well!  :-)

@Matt Walker: Yeah, as much as I like the Latin name... I thought the same thing.  Obsessed is a pretty good one.  Short, sweet, to the point.  I think I may well go with that one.  No idea how I didn't arrive there myself.  :-)

• 89 posts
    June 17, 2013 12:05 PM EDT

Glad I could help. I might actually use that Oathkeeper name now.