Game(s) that top Skyrim

• 209 posts
    April 13, 2014 3:41 PM EDT
    Sounds good to me !!
  • April 13, 2014 3:54 PM EDT

Add me as well.

• 1217 posts
    April 13, 2014 7:42 PM EDT

You gotta meet Blackbeard. One of my favorite encounters in the franchise involves him.

• 111 posts
    April 14, 2014 11:41 AM EDT

Following this post I've decided to play DAO and DAOA again and am currently enjoying it yet again!

• 56 posts
    April 14, 2014 2:56 PM EDT

I'd say that Fallout 3 is on the same level of awesomeness as Skyrim. Got Fallout 3 when it came out without really knowing what it was all about but enjoyed it ever since. My other favorite game would be 'Spellforce'. It was a mix of RPG and RTS and I was really amazed by the whole game mechanics and I was only 13 or 14 years old. Best thing was, I got it for free in a PC games magazine My favorite game on the original Xbox was 'Halo'. My 2 brothers and I spent hours and days playing this game and beating it on every difficulty. I remember one day in summer it was so hot inside, we took the television outside to the garden and played there hahaha. It was so much fun

• 49 posts
    April 15, 2014 4:55 PM EDT
    I was actually looking at purchasing EU4 the other day, is it worth the price tag? £35 seems steep for a strategy game.

I also noticed there's a extreme addition but it lacks a lot of the DLC's. Would you recommend buying the extreme addition or just the original game and perhaps buy some of the DLC's seperately?
    • 209 posts
    April 15, 2014 5:02 PM EDT

At this point in time, (for me atleast) the DLCs aren't essential.

• April 15, 2014 5:04 PM EDT

Extreme Edition just adds some crappy Muslim DLC, doesn't seem worth 10 dollars.

Just buy the DLC that interests you. Don't bother with unit packs or whatever unless you want them.  I bought the pre-order pack cause I like playing the as the Byzantine Empire.

And anyway, waiting for a sale is a good idea. You can get it for 75% off on Steam. Might have to wait a bit since there was already a sale a 2-3 weeks ago though.

• 149 posts
    April 15, 2014 5:17 PM EDT

I don't like to judge games based on things like "hours played." Skyrim would beat out everything else in my book.

There are plenty of other games I enjoy playing rather than Skyrim - not because they're "better," but because they offer their own unique experiences. It's just a matter of what sort of game I'm in the mood to play.

Skyrim does a lot of things worse than other games. The reason I love it, though, is because its like a swiss army knife. The tools themselves may not be as high quality as their individual variants, but the combined package has greater value than the sum of its parts. If that's the kind of thing I want, I play Skyrim. If I want just mindless action, rouge-like elements, multiplayer, etc., I'll play something else.

• 49 posts
    April 15, 2014 5:31 PM EDT
    The Metal Gear series are my favourite games, MGS4 being one of my all time favourite game.

Skyrim is probably 2nd though, I've played hundreds of hours on it and it still doesn't bore me though that may have something to do with the skyrim blog!
    • 49 posts
    April 15, 2014 5:33 PM EDT
    Only the Americas content interests me but there seems to be loads of content in the original game to start with anyway. I suppose I could just wait for a sale, I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the advice guys! I may have some nooby questions for you in the near future... ;).
    • 49 posts
    April 28, 2014 12:11 PM EDT
    Picked it up for a mere £18 on Amazon!
    • 2 posts
    April 28, 2014 1:03 PM EDT

The thing that raises Skyrim above everything else is its mods. Frostfall, for example, is utterly fantastic. It allows you to turn Skyrim into a survival game, more or less. But the base-game is rather simplistic when looking back at the pre-mod days. 

New Vegas, on the other hand, doesn't really need any mods to be great. (Fallout 3 has cooler atmosphere but lacks many features compared to NV.)

Dragon Age: Origins was quite good indeed, Morrowinds story beats all, and Oblivion has a uniqueness and some GREAT DLC. (Unearthing Mehrunes Razor and the Knights of the Nine are so good. Remake for Skyrim pl0x.)

• 661 posts
    April 28, 2014 2:05 PM EDT

Max Payne 3. 'nuff said. 

• 111 posts
    April 28, 2014 2:08 PM EDT

You make some good points. As someone who is coming up on 3000 hours logged on this game I can't say that it is one that I do not enjoy. It is easily amongst the best games that I have ever played.

There is so much to do in this game for anyone who plays it that I am not sure if it is possible to actually "do" everything in it. It's open world concept has been a source of envy for many game producers to the point where some of the more "personally immersive" RPGs are starting to duplicate the concept in future productions. Witcher promises an open world in it's forthcoming release while Dragon Age 3 is mumbling about embracing (we'll see as DA2 was heavily restricted on that score) that concept as well.

There are many mods that enhance gameplay and more that give us much better imagery of the world. I thought generally Oblivion mods were better as the game itself allowed modders much more flexibility and scope (one player home springs to mind which is a vineyard - the story, graphics and general ambience make that mod truly great). Another that sticks in my head is Lost Paladins of the Divines - so creepingly brilliant!. Also Oblivion allowed for better animation. Some mods like Apaachi's stores gave us superb armour/clothes/weapons for both sexes but such things (apart from maybe some male armour) I guess would not be appropriate in the cold harshness of Skyrim so are better left in Cyrodiil

• 83 posts
    May 6, 2014 8:42 AM EDT

Batman Arkham Origins.

Actually, the Arkham games taught me some things that led to my becoming a better Skyrim player: stealth (get the hit and disappear!), relentlessness.

Plus, practicing the stealth aspects of Skyrim turned me into a better Arkham player!

FInally, I am considering a Slade Wilson (you know him as Deathstroke) build!

• 8 posts
    September 19, 2014 12:55 AM EDT

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

• 44 posts
    September 19, 2014 1:04 AM EDT
    No game in existence at this point in time can too skyrim in my books. That is of course until DA:Inquisition is released. We shall see though.
    • 8 posts
    September 19, 2014 1:20 AM EDT

Superman 64

• 38 posts
    September 19, 2014 1:28 AM EDT

age of mythology, it was the first game i ever played (aside from browser games) so it really holds a special place in my heart.

• 21 posts
    September 19, 2014 5:23 AM EDT

For me, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. That game nailed pretty much everything, it had great gameplay, pacing and variety, an excellent story and very good characters, as well as one of the best video game soundtracks ever made.

• 75 posts
    September 20, 2014 5:42 PM EDT

Skyrim has, since it came out, been my favourite game, but for me Destiny is a close call. However before Skyrim my favourite game/series of games had to of been Star Wars Battlefront. You don't even know how excited I am for number 3.

• 77 posts
    September 22, 2014 6:50 AM EDT

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Like anything, it's not going to be better at everything, just different and I prefer it subjectively.

Skyrim has a 100+ hour free-roaming adventure in an open world with a great variety of weapons, equipment, and skills in a very simple combat system with limited AI. The side quests and lore are also impeccable.

Twilight Princess has a great main quest with a generally better, yet more traditional story and less in depth lore than Elder Scrolls. The world is epic in scale and semi-open, but much smaller than Skyrim with many fewer sidequests and no factions to join. The combat (and all the other mechanics in the game) is more polished than in Skyrim, though with less variety and challenge, though it has more, better quality, unique bosses. That game also has much better dungeons, that focus on puzzles and items used to solve those puzzles as well as fighting enemies.

They're both obviously great games with different strengths and I can't wait for the next Zelda and Elder Scrolls.

• 20 posts
    November 8, 2014 9:39 AM EST

Deus Ex 1        tops most games in terms of story realism and immersion.

Mass effect 1   tops alot of games game in terms of story.

Mass effect 2   sucks, cause convenient waist high walls on every planet and predictable storyline, break emersion.

• 8 posts
    November 8, 2014 5:23 PM EST

Well if we're looking at the base vanilla game(no mods) then plenty of games top Skyrim. I would say that Dark Souls tops Skyrim in terms of game play, and Oblivion tops Skyrim in terms of questing, albeit only by a hair. In terms of a role playing I find myself hard pressed to find a game that bests Skyrim however, perhaps Morrowind? But I never played much of it so I can't say for sure. I guess I can't really think of a game that trumps Skyrim in every conceivable category, but plenty of games have better game play and aesthetics.

With mods however Skyrim easily becomes the best game of all time in my book.