Forums » General Gaming

Game(s) that top Skyrim

• 3 posts
    June 13, 2013 6:09 AM EDT

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Must Play.

• 78 posts
    June 13, 2013 12:45 PM EDT

I did love the Fable games, they were my favorite to play before Morrowind, but yes agreed that it needed more to it, it was still cool to choose to go good or bad.  I got a kick out of it.  I loved Limbo too,but dammit if I still haven't finished it, that thing is friggin hard!  Back in the days, I loved Tomb Raider and Soul Calibur.

Assassin's creed series have been top of my list to play, just haven't gotten to them yet.  

• 26 posts
    June 13, 2013 10:07 PM EDT

I liked Fable 1 as well pity the others were so bad, I also like Baldur's Gate, well the early ones anyway

• 78 posts
    June 15, 2013 8:31 AM EDT

No doubt, I listed to what may have topped them for me at one time, but lately, nothing beats it

• 111 posts
    June 17, 2013 2:11 AM EDT

Yeah I'd also forgotten about Star Wars games too. I had loads of fun playing X Wing an excellent flight sim then X Wing V Tie Fighter and Balance of Power (the only co-op I've ever played). There was a whole series of Star Wars games Rebel Assault, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, KOTR and more that I can't remember. Enjoyed them all

Just remembered why I din't play Zelda I'm a PC games only player - Don't like the idea of booking the tv - that keeps the boss quiet and generally I prefer domestic bliss (or at least quietness) where possible

• 62 posts
    June 17, 2013 1:59 PM EDT

YES. I still play SWBF2 once in a while. I've loved and played that game for almost 8 years. Such a good game.

• 11 posts
    June 21, 2013 3:01 AM EDT

In my opinion, nothing in terms of game play or re-playability tops Skyrim this gen. I can think of more than one game, however, with a better main quest line.

• 6 posts
    June 21, 2013 9:17 AM EDT

It could be the generational gap or the fact that the series went to crap, but no one mentioned Final Fantasy VII. To me the storyline in that game is unbelievable and in the states it's a game that's difficult to find. That could just be due to how old it is. As far as replay ability Tecmo Super Bowl is played to this day in my household. That said I haven't played a game on my 360 other than Skyrim since it came out.

• 209 posts
    July 2, 2013 6:44 AM EDT

Please buy fallout 3 for your own good.

• 209 posts
    July 2, 2013 6:47 AM EDT

FF7 is unbelievable, I love everything about it. I have FF7 on my phone now and play it when on the toilet and when in work :)

• 209 posts
    July 2, 2013 6:47 AM EDT

yup ! still active online on the pc, i bought it for £0.99 on steam ! I originally played it on ps2 SP only.

• 29 posts
    April 13, 2014 1:46 AM EDT

I do not know a game, that is better than Skyrim, but if you want to try something fresh try with Darksiders.

• 1217 posts
    April 13, 2014 1:51 AM EDT

For me, New Vegas is my favorite stand-alone game, and Mass Effect my favorite franchise. Skyrim comes very very close to New Vegas, though. It only loses because I prefer guns and NCR Vet Ranger armor is the baddest thing under the sun.

• 1217 posts
    April 13, 2014 1:54 AM EDT

Glad to see I wasn't the only one unimpressed by Halo 4.

• 106 posts
    April 13, 2014 2:27 AM EDT

Ocarina of time. Thats it

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 13, 2014 2:53 AM EDT

Age of Empires 2 is still really great to play. I've had difficulty loading it since Vista, but that game just doesn't get old. You get tired of binging on it once and a while, but it doesn't lose anything. Skyrim's already started to feel lackluster.

• 27 posts
    April 13, 2014 3:19 AM EDT

For open world Skyrim is top for me. Love Fallout 3, But I prefer bows and swords to guns. But adding all games my favorite was Final Fantasy XI.

• 5 posts
    April 13, 2014 3:59 AM EDT

From my days of console gaming, Grandia II, Shadow Heart I & II.

For pc, modded Skyrim followed close by Fallout 3

And like Aelyn, my all time favourite game if we add here mmo, its Final Fantasy XI, there is no mmo and never will be like that one, not even the new crap ff14 online, I played Xi from 2002 to almost 2013 and that's counting its a supscription game..

• 3 posts
    April 13, 2014 5:35 AM EDT

Rome Total War (the first) and AoE2, to name a few

• 966 posts
    April 13, 2014 5:46 AM EDT

Oblivion, Morrowind, Rome Total War I, Medieval Total war 2 (especially with the Third Age overhaul), Fable 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Freelancer, Mount and Blade Warband, Stronghold, Stronghold Legends, Stronghold Crusader, Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis III&IV. This as just of the top of my head, there's undoubtably more.

• 209 posts
    April 13, 2014 6:16 AM EDT
    All you have to do is disable explorer.exe and it runs perfect :)
    • 209 posts
    April 13, 2014 6:18 AM EDT
    Im sorry are you me ? You've kinda just named most of my favourite games. Please add me on steam, to play some MP EU4 ! D_init
    • 111 posts
    April 13, 2014 7:54 AM EDT

I tend to agree. There are subtle differences between TESIV and TESV with Skyrim winning out on visual imagery for  ethereal winter scenery, and texture and terrain detail. This attention to detail also transfers to internal environs such as caves, grottos, dungeons etc. All of these would not have been possible without tech advances in  hardware and software. Both have in common (and I have remarked on this elsewhere) the huge bonus of an exploration factor in an open world. In practical terms this will restrict the amouint of time available for developing complex interaction dialogues and relationships with core NPCs within the game but I guess if we are happy to pay at least 60 % more for the game then Bethseda would be only to happy to oblige. There are only minor differences really between the later Elder Scrolls games, but I can't really say one type of rpg is better than the other because there are so many different aspects to consider. For me the most immersive in RPG terms is the Witcher series where the central character (you) Doesn't become a world saver, just a guy who is a major player in world events which he is caught up in that tries to do the best he can and by doing so can have an impact on the way things turn out

As someone who evolved from FPS to RPG's, I find no particular urge to return as RPGs tend to give me a greater sense of enjoyment and satisfaction

• 56 posts
    April 13, 2014 10:23 AM EDT
    The Assassins Creed series. I really love the story, if not some of the characters. And seriously, theres no more rewarding than going to historic places, meet historic people, and shape history itself.

Ive been to Firenze, Venezia, and Roma, at the very least. Ive met Cesare Borgia, Nicollo Machiavelli, Leonardo da Vinci himself! Not to mention George Washington, Paul Revere, among others. I still havent met Blackbeard though.

I love watching the faces of my friends when they say "Wow, Rome looks wonderful", then I say "It is. Ive been there". They wouldnt believe me at first, of course, but when I mention several landmarks - in Italian, mind you - they just.. Oh, you shouldve seen their faces. :-D

But to top even that is my all-time favorite. DotA, and now its sibling Dota 2. There's just something about strategizing plays, picks and counter picks, that really appeal to me. I just love doing mind games with other people. Oh the objective has always been the same - destroy the enemy's throne. But the process, the means of achieving it, therein lies the beauty.
    • 966 posts
    April 13, 2014 2:45 PM EDT

What's your Steam name? Ah well, just add me. Linky.

If enough blog members have it we could even have a sort of 'blog server' where blog members can destroy eachother for world supremacy. Or forge alliances. Secret alliances are the best.