Forums » General Gaming

Game(s) that top Skyrim

• 409 posts
    June 5, 2013 9:47 PM EDT

For many of you no such game exists but for those of you who have found such a game what is it and why is it better? I have put a lot of hours into Skyrim and the only games that I can think of that even come close are Borderlands 2 and Morrowind. Borderlands 2 because I find myself getting a chuckle a lot when I play that game, it has a great storyline, and its one of the few shooters that I really think that requires some strategy and thinking (I know I will get some argument here). Morrowind because of how it gives the player more freedom like (if I wanted) I could kill every living (nonrespawning) person on the island also (to a lesser extent) I love the magic system compared to Skyrim's off the shelf magic system. What game(s) do you think top Skyim (if you think there are any)? Discuss.

• 490 posts
    June 5, 2013 9:51 PM EDT

Not to be kissing Bethesda's ass all the time, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas will always hold a special place in my heart. Unbeknownst to most, but I actually am a bigger Fallout fan than The Elder Scrolls...!!! I know that Skyrim has consumed a lot of my time and love for gaming but as soon as the next generation of Fallout is released, I think my Skyrim days will come to a close.

• 409 posts
    June 5, 2013 9:59 PM EDT

I hear great things about Fallout and I want to try it. I suppose I will start with Fallout 4 so long as I get a next gen console (still on the rope about that.)

• 14 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:32 PM EDT
    I loved the madden games back in the day. The classics were the best! My brother and I had so much fun when we were kids. Good times. :D
    • 14 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:37 PM EDT
    For me, nothing will ever top Ocarina of Time. It was the definitive game of a legendary series. Te best game ever for me. It made the mold for future adventure games, 3D models, and pure awesomeness! My favorite game of my childhood (with Super Mario Bros. right behind and ahead of Skyrim). So, for me, those two are just classics that Skyrim can't top.
    And CoD rocks and is thr bst game Eva and ya need sooooo much skillz to be good pro boss like me! (You might need a towel for all the sarcasm in that sentence). While I play CoD (mostly with my bro and some friends) it isn't that good and I'm not crazy about it.
    • 14 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:41 PM EDT
    We used to buy the new game every year. But, idk which year, a few years ago we got it and just was so disappointed. We didn't have Internet (dial-up anyways, because we lived out in the sticks) and we could only single player and split screen it, which we had a blast doing. Until it just... Wasn't the same. Haven't played it since. I think he still buys NCAA, but not Madden.
    • 409 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:42 PM EDT
    First person to say any of the recent CoD games are better the Skyrim will have a first hand look on what public hanging was all about.
    • 14 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:46 PM EDT
    Lol ^. N way are the recent CoD games even close! I would still rather play CoD4 with my friends than the new ones online. Any day.
    • 291 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:48 PM EDT

Yes. :)  Ocarina of Time is too special for it to top Skyim.  Nothing will ever top it.

• 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:50 PM EDT
    I agree with you on borderlands 2, loved the story, loved Handsome Jack and Tiny Tina (the funniest NPC's in the game), and the combat does require strategy on some parts, you can't just use one gun throughout the whole thing, some wont be affected by it, others with be weak against it
    • 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:53 PM EDT
    Duck hunt tops Ocarina of Time to me (I just don't get why people like the Legend of Zelda story... (After seeing the Legend of Zelda tv show, you would understand my hatred of the series... It's weird... And also, link is the most annoying/creepy guy in the kingdom))
    • 62 posts
    June 5, 2013 10:57 PM EDT

Games that I hold closer to my heart - Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Knights Of The Old Republic, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, WWE No Mercy and The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

• June 5, 2013 10:57 PM EDT

I'm pretty sure this thread is heretical 

• 14 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:00 PM EDT
    ^lol this says it all. Why wouldn't you like zelda?
    Also, were talking about the games, not the tv show.
    • 291 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:01 PM EDT

Don't judge a game based on a piece of crap 80's TV show.  That's like judging Lord of the Rings based off of that horrible movie made in the 70's.

Anyway, aside from the above, it's also a time and place sort of thing.  For many people, the Legend of Zelda has, in some form or another, hit them at just the right time in their childhood/adulthood to introduce them to the RPG genre, or infect them with it's strange mythology.  OoT was, for me, my introduction into RPG games, and, ultimately, my introduction to TES games.

• 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:04 PM EDT
    I found the story boring, the characters bland (we have Zelda the princess... Even though she should be queen since her father is either dead or barely around... And link... The hero that we could replace with a piece of cardboard and no one would notice any emotional change).

The music... Eh... It's hit and miss for me.

Gameplay, doesn't look all that special...

It's just really boring to me... Who wants to constantly save a princess who can't defend herself? (And before anyone says "what about Mario?" It got old in Mario too, to the point where it's become a cliche, so yeah, I don't like it there either...)
    • 14 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:10 PM EDT
    My theory is that you don't like anything that other people like just so you can say you don't like it and you only like what other people don't so you can say that you do like it.
    Might be wrong, but everything I have seen points that way... :P
    • 1913 posts
    I will judge it on that show :P

I was introduced to RPG's through Dragon Age Origins (I know, it took a long time. I there weren't any RPG's available that interested me until that came out, then I started searching for more)

I played a bit of the first legend of Zelda game thanks to a friend of mine, and it was ok... I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it...
    • 291 posts

Just disappointing is what it is.

• 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:11 PM EDT
    Awesome! Love that movie :)
    • 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:16 PM EDT
    At what point did I deny it was influential? I get that it's influential to RPG's, I just don't get why so many love it considering the characters are bland or in the case of navi fucking annoying, and the story is a huge cliche that has been retold countless times... Even Mario had to change some things to liven the series up (Mario kart, Mario party)
    • 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:18 PM EDT
    I like inception, the dark knight, skyrim, mass effect, the borderlands series, D&D, history, writing, fallout, the dragon age series, avatar the last airbender, the justice league show, the avengers movie, the godfather, and assassin's creed... Yeah... I hate everything that other like... I could go on if you wish
    • 1913 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:22 PM EDT
    I may appear to be that way, but I try to go into things with an open mind to hope it's good (unless its made by Michael bay, EA, Square enix, or the person who made the halo books/last mass effect book)
    • 62 posts
    June 5, 2013 11:28 PM EDT

... which is not to say that I find all the above to be "better" games. Better is usually such an objective term anyway, isn't it? No, it's merely that they have all proved to be dearer to me at numerous points throughout my gaming life. I care/have cared for all the above greatly, just like I care for Skyrim currently. Whether future memories of the countless hours I've spent in the Nord's homeland will be as magical to me as my memories of the aforementioned games is impossible for me to know right now. I'd certainly like to think that will be the case.