Forums » Elder Scrolls

Angels and Skyrim?

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 2:54 AM EDT

I am attempting to come up with some roleplay elements for a build I will be running very soon to test for viability to maybe actually post up here as my first build...

So, the question is, how could one work in Angels/Fallen Angels into the Lore of the Elder Scrolls series?  My first cursory thought was to have them be perhaps some sort of antithesis to the Dragons... or perhaps an alternate, more human, offspring of Akatosh.

Anyone have any ideas?

• June 5, 2013 6:01 AM EDT

Perhaps not Angels, from Judeo-Christian mythology, but Valkyries from Nordic legend would be more appropriate term, considering the obvious influence the Norse mythos has on Skyrim. Ragnarok ("Twilight of the Gods" could be the event that leads to their "Fall"). In battle, they chose who would live and who would die, as well as the destination of the slain warriors' souls. In the Elder Scroll universe, this would be Sovngarde (the Norse version being Valhalla).

As far as gameplay, I think Restoration, Illusion and Conjuration would fit quite nicely. Valkyries are the Angels of Death, mighty heroes wage war to win the favor of the gods and go to the Hall of Heroes when they perish. Your presence on the battlefield would inspire allies to fight harder, and commit mighty deeds in honorable combat. This is where Illusion would come in, with spells like Rally and Courage boosting the stats of your allies and stopping them from fleeing.

You have the ability to choose who lives and who dies, so Restoration is a no-brainer. Healing spells would be the focus, though Circle of Protection and Guardian Circle also make a nice addition. Conjuration would be used to bring people back from the dead to do your bidding. Warriors don't die unless you decide they should. 

Wow, that was much longer than I meant it to be. Actually, that's the first prototype build I've ever shared with anyone. Anyway, I hope that helps.

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:14 AM EDT

Wow... thanks for that in depth reply.

Unfortunately, I am not quite sure the idea of Valkyrie really fit with where I wanted to go with the build/character, especially considering the very logical Skill areas you suggested.

I am starting to think that I might actually have my character be somewhat dellusional... in that he merely THINKS that his being Dragonborn is actually a sign of much greater things than it actually is (not that it isn't pretty important already).  My specific impetus for the Angel angle was the name for one of the "heavens" in old cosmological theories in which the upper-most heaven was known as Empyrean and the home of god and his angels.

I think I will have to think about this a good deal more... barring any further comments here that might spur my imagination.

(Thanks just the same.)

• June 5, 2013 6:38 AM EDT

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'll try the Valkyrie build for myself, see how it goes. I am intrigued by it. *Sigh* So many builds to try out, and many of them are great. Don't know where to start.

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:43 AM EDT

I feel your pain!

• 140 posts
    June 5, 2013 4:16 PM EDT

I may be going a little out-there with this, but when Magnus left Mundus for Aetherius, he ripped a hole in Oblivion, which became the sun.  Other et'Ada followed him, and they became the stars.  They were all involved in the creation of the TES universe.  I wonder if you could create a character that was one of these et'Ada that could not make it out in time, and so they are "fallen?"  

Check out this site www.uesp.net and search for Aedra or et'Ada and see if any of that might spark some ideas for you.

• 229 posts
    June 5, 2013 8:17 PM EDT

Well, I always find the idea of "Angels" In games like Skyrim doesn't feel right to me. It feels to different to the lore, however, I do believe it'd be cool of you do a type of Disciple thing, where certain individuals are marked, and given special abilities by one of the Nine Divines, and they spread their will throughout the territories. The Daedra could also mark individuals as well, made to combat the Divines' Disciples. Conjuration could be Daedra exclusive, because it involves Necromancy and the conjuring of Atronachs, which are technically Daedra unaffiliated with any gods, while Restoration is exclusive to the Divines, for it's healing and Anti-undead spells.

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 8:47 PM EDT

That's a pretty good idea, and one I hadn't thought of yet... however, I don't like the idea that for that to make sense, my character would have to be nearly as old as Nirn itself.  Perhaps shooting stars are falling Aedra?

Something to ponder to be sure.

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 8:48 PM EDT

The more I think about it... the more I think I will go in this general direction.  I think that the character will see himself as a chosen of a Divine... but it will be mostly unclear if he really is, especially when one considers some of his actions.