Forums » Elder Scrolls

Followers of Skyrim!

• 36 posts
    June 4, 2013 8:05 PM EDT

I was wondering;

Who is better to have as a follower? Serena or J'zargo? 
    Just wondering because I currently have J'zargo but idk there's something about Serena that just makes her badass - I mean *SPOILERS* she betrays her Dad and helps kill him XD

I know J'zargo doesnt have a level cap and Serena's is 50 but idk who'd be better.

Btw I'm a Paladin sort of build ^-^

• 36 posts
    June 4, 2013 8:11 PM EDT

I love Sven hahaha! He can deal some damage you know!

Idk J'zargo is p'eeing me off a little. I mean he isnt even being all powerful; he's using some crap bow and dealing like a minute amount of damage :') 
    Which is why I ask - Might have to go with Sven possibly! Or Serena because she's kind of a baddass and makes funny comments on the environment ha

• 88 posts
    June 4, 2013 9:40 PM EDT
    For a paladin I would suggest a Dawnguard memeber and definitely not Serena, she's a vampire after all.
    • 168 posts
    June 4, 2013 9:43 PM EDT

If you're a paladin and looking for a follower, I suggest Erandur, he's a Dunmer priest of Mara.

But personally, I don't like followers on most builds (sans healers), they just steal all the exp. from me and clog up doorways.

• June 4, 2013 9:50 PM EDT

You can't go wrong with the Housecarls, they're sturdy and fairly easy to get access to. Mjoll the Lioness is essentially a paladin herself, so she'd be cool to bring along and I think she has a pretty high level cap. I also second Chris Howe's recommendation, Erandur is a pretty decent follower and obviously a better choice than the staff if you're playing a Good character.

Other than that, it really comes down to personal taste. Personally I like sword and board companions since they tend to flank enemies and keep them staggered, and that's the best way to handle boss fights in my opinion. Magic users are too unpredictable and their A.I. is sometimes glitchy, while warriors have more predictable patterns that let you create faster and more effective tactics in tandem with them. Again, I cannot stress how useful it is to flank fighter-type bosses and keep them staggered, it's absolutely amazing at higher difficulty levels.

• 62 posts
    June 4, 2013 10:17 PM EDT

I recently used Belrand for the first time and was genuinely surprised by how good his combat AI was. He'd switch to bows only when at a suitable range, dealt really good damage with melee weapons in close quarters and also proved himself to be wonderfully effective when equipped with staves. I'd previously overlooked him because of his mongy haircut. My mistake, and I now recommend him very highly.

However, a helmet for this follower is absolutely vital. Unless of you choose to roleplay that you're wondering the land with Riff Raff from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, it will just look stupid.

• 62 posts
    June 4, 2013 10:49 PM EDT

I know the above sounds like I'm nit picking, but that haircut really is something else. It is genuinely off putting. What the hell were Bethesda thinking?!

They finally create a truly worthwhile travelling companion, a follower who is neither annoying or obnoxious and can actually hold his own in various different styles of combat...  and proceed to adorn him with a hairstyle that sits somewhere between a homeless Hulk Hogan and an elderly sex offender. .

• 59 posts
    June 5, 2013 2:17 AM EDT

Why not the shaman from that nord village in solstheim? She has paladin like heal and alteration spells  Only minor is she dual wields.

Damn, I stil vote Mjoll. 

As of who's better of Serana or J'zargo I'd say Serana, J'zargo only knows apprentice spells, Serana knows adept.

• 62 posts
    June 5, 2013 3:00 AM EDT

Can you take Dragonborn followers back to the main land? Likewise, can you take Skyrim followers to Solstheim? It might be a really obvious question, but it's only recently that I've bothered with any type of follower at all, having been so let down by their AI from day one. As such, they're still somewhat of a mystery to me.

• 62 posts
    June 5, 2013 3:03 AM EDT

Oh, and how about "pets" like Solstheim's Sphere/Spider and Riekling? Do they travel with you back to Skyrim too?

• 28 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:08 AM EDT

Why not have both? You can have Serana along with you as well as another follower. I have Serana and Ingjard with me.

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:18 AM EDT

I didn't think that was permanent though :o?

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:18 AM EDT

I believe you can; I'm not sure though

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:19 AM EDT

Everyone is naming all these followers haah so much choice! 

Thanks ^^

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:20 AM EDT

I'm not highly RP on this playthrough ^-^

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:21 AM EDT

Shall check him out!

• 28 posts
    June 5, 2013 5:53 AM EDT

It works best if you've finished Dawnguard. What you need to do is bring a follower to where Serana is. Dismiss that follower, then immediately rehire them, then quickly tell Serana to come with you. If you do it quickly enough both the original follower and Serana will be following you. If you don't do it in time, you can just try again

Like I said, I've had Ingjard and Serana with me for a good 20 hours with no problems, apart from one unfortunate incident in which Ingjard took a dislike to a bandit Serana resurrected which resulted in Serana killing Ingjard.

All I'd recommend is playing on a higher difficulty if you have both, just to prevent it from becoming too overpowered.

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:02 AM EDT

This is prolly a bit of a derailing reply... but... well, I have to ask: Why use followers at all?  I have never used a follower in any of my playthroughs (except when I didn't have a choice).

In fact, I basically flew through Dawnguard so that I could get rid of Serana... I just can't stand having folks following me around.

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:23 AM EDT

Idk I play on higher difficulties and stuff and idk I guess it's nice to have random comments made ha; Also did make me laugh when Serena reminated a chicken.

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:23 AM EDT

Ah! Yeah I already play on high difficulties anyways others it gets boring :')

Thanks for the info 

• 36 posts
    June 5, 2013 6:28 AM EDT

LOL!

• 116 posts
    June 5, 2013 12:37 PM EDT

That makes sense... I guess I don't very often play on diffs above Adept (except on my main character's play-through since stuff started to get waaaaay too easy).

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    June 5, 2013 3:12 PM EDT

This glitch also works with every Dark Brotherhood follower. I've had an army of warriors at my back, Cicero, both DB initiates, Serana, and Jenassa (sellsword from Whiterun). I gave them all Dragon priest masks, it was super awesome =p

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    June 5, 2013 3:14 PM EDT

Yeah, the answer to your question is that they keep you alive on higher difficulties. Also more carry weight. I use followers to grab tons of Dwemer scrap metal and make a fortune on forging it.