Forums » Elder Scrolls

Weakness to Magic poison question

• 13 posts
    June 1, 2013 12:53 PM EDT

Just wondering-does anyone know if Weakness to Magic poison will increase the damage of bound weapons?   I'm having trouble finding any info on it, so I'm hoping someone here can help me with this.

• 13 posts
    June 1, 2013 1:06 PM EDT

Thank you for replying so quickly.  I'll test it out and see what I come up with.

Another question, if you don't mind.  You said logically it shouldn't work-I'm totally naive about how the game runs, so now I'm curious why it shouldn't. 

• 13 posts
    June 1, 2013 1:16 PM EDT

That makes sense.  So if I was really set on using the weakness to magic, I would do better to use enchanted weapons?

Thank you, again.

• 856 posts
    June 1, 2013 1:19 PM EDT

Good Question.   I think that weakness to magic may work with bound weapons - I think I'll give this a test and get back to his question later with a better response.

• 856 posts
    June 1, 2013 1:36 PM EDT

aye, but that doesn't really answer the question...we know that bound weapons are considered magical - that's why elemental fury doesn't work with them

• 856 posts
    June 1, 2013 2:04 PM EDT

I, too, just tested it but with a bound sword.  It took the same number of swings, 30 swings to be precise, to kill giants  with and without the poison.  (poison effect strength was at 30% - so  if the poison worked it should've been around 21 swings with the poison).

• 856 posts
    June 1, 2013 2:05 PM EDT

Do we know whether it works with an enchanted weapon - I assume it does, but has this been tested?

• 856 posts
    June 1, 2013 2:22 PM EDT

I just tested it with an ebony axe with a shock (20 effect) enchantment, with and with out a 30% weakness to magic potion.  Against the same opponent it took 18 swings without the poison and 15 or 16 swings with it.  I tested it several times with the same results.  I was doing around 42 points of damage with the axe with no poison, and around 48 with it.  So the poison seems to work with enchanted weapons.

(it takes a 100 alchemy skill with alchemist 5/5 and poisoner perks (no items or other boosts to alchemy) to make that strength of poison - seems like a lot just for a few less swings - perks that could be used to increase the base weapon damage instead)

• 13 posts
    June 1, 2013 2:39 PM EDT

Thanks everyone for checking into this.  I'll just go with enchanted weapons + alchemy for my current playthrough.

Though it would have been kinda cool to be able to boost the bound weapons with the poison...and lighten my character's load.