Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim: An Unfinished Game.

• May 24, 2013 7:23 PM EDT

Yes, the title is pretty clear: Skyrim, an unfinished game.

Of course, this has to do with Bethesda's announcenment in which they said there would no more Skyrim DLC. More specifically:

"Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed.

For the last year and a half we’ve been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLC. 

Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio’s full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet. 

Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We’ve invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it."

We all are very, very disappointed about this decision. Even though we have actually played two heavy-DLCs, Dawnguard and Dragonborn, we need more, or even better, the game itself needs more.

First and probably most important, the future of Skyrim, more specifically, the future of Tamriel. You just finish the Cvil War, and then what? I mean, who will be High King of Skyrim? What will the fate of skyrim be once the Imperials or Stormcloaks decide to go to war with the Thalmor?

Next, Dawnguard. Although the DLC was nice and me personally i had fun playing it, the conclusion is pretty bad. The whole DLC talks about a GOD DAMN PROPHECY, and you actually never ending up completing it. I was hugely dissapointed by its conclusion.

They are also many other blanks. For example, the faction questlines; College of Winterhold, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild and Companions. They do not have a proper and satisfying conclusion. While the questlines themselves are nice, the conclusions really sucked.

Still, the Dwemer, the Psijiic order, what of those? Dwemer stuff made a cameo on both Dawnguard and Dragonborn, but that wasn't enough, we all know that.

You end up killing Alduin, which was of course a major threat to Tamriel. But then what? You just get an invitation to Sovngarde, once you go into afterlife. Yet, Dragons still scorch Skyrim out. 

Bethesda promised us more DLC after the release of Dragonborn for xbox 360, but, that never happened.

So, yeah, all those stuff leads to the fact that Skyrim actually needs one last DLC. An epic finale and a decent ending in the story of Skyrim. That is not going to happen unfortunately.

Bethesda likes to leave their games unfinished.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Original run: November 11, 2011 – April 15, 2013

I am terribly dissapointed.

• May 24, 2013 8:57 PM EDT

I agree that it's unfinished. It's like ripping out the ending of a book. Bethesda really dropped their ball. 

Who knows, maybe it will be completed in Elder Scrolls VI.

Not to be pessimistic, or a Debby Downer or whatever,  but what's the point of this discussion? Everyone already knows this. 

• 106 posts
    May 24, 2013 10:44 PM EDT

I agree hugely, especially with dawnguard. I wanted to side with Harkon nonetheless, I still love skyrim

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    May 25, 2013 1:09 AM EDT

Okay, I think there are some valid points, but I don't consider Skyrim disappointing by any means. The story was weak, but who goes into a Bethesda game looking for a cohesive plot line? Let's be honest here, that's not Bethesda's strong suit.

The thing that Bethesda does fantastically well is rich world building with almost endless freedom, which allows each player's personal story line to be unique, exciting and vibrant. The plot line is really just a backdrop for your character to play off of with a several historically significant events interspersed throughout. They really can't control the plot as tightly as other games because everything is so open ended, so they sacrifice cohesion for freedom. 

The freedom that we get is tons of fun but it comes at a cost. The plot can't conform as tightly to the protagonist, because the protagonist has a huge number of variables that shift depending on the player. 

So I think that's a fair trade, I like my freedom and I'm totally fine with being forced to roleplay to get a fun story out of it. Sure, there were a couple loose ends that didn't get tied up like the High King not being chosen, but for the most part they wrapped everything up pretty decently and offered multiple endings for the Civil War which was pretty impressive considering the scope of the game world and number of moving parts that this entails. And sure, Dawnguard's plot was very silly and disjointed, but there was a lot of cool shit mixed in like crossbows! But at the end of the day, I love the openness, freedom and beauty of Skyrim. It's not perfect, and has several shortcomings, but I also don't consider it to be unfinished or disappointing. The thousands of members on this blog who still have discussions about this game can attest to that

• 25 posts
    May 25, 2013 1:13 AM EDT

I agree on almost everything but I was actually satisfied with the thieves guild I enjoyed the actual significance you made to the ragged flagon. I also think the dragonborn DLC, while short was very epic and well worth the time

• 80 posts
    May 25, 2013 1:46 AM EDT

I don't think unfinished is the correct term, lacking seems more appropriate.

The game as a whole was entertaining but certain aspects of the game could have been handled better, IMO.

• May 25, 2013 4:18 AM EDT

Never said Skyrim is dissapointing, just unfinished.

• May 25, 2013 4:19 AM EDT

Releasing a whole new Elder Scrolls game just to cover the story plot of Skyrim would be a huge mistake. Bethesda has never done such a thing. If this happens, then the game would a total failure. Every TES game has its own story and plot. Bethesda started a game, and has to finish it.

• 14 posts
    May 25, 2013 8:53 AM EDT

Well, all I can say is that Skyrim is still better than Oblivion, and Oblivion wasn't unfinished.

In fact, I don't care if Skyrim is or isn't complete. If the next TES game reach at least the same level of plot depthness and keep on with the Skyrim's combat system, it will be worth throwing Skyrim away.

(And the plotholes Skyrim has left can be completed with a book in the next TES)

• 80 posts
    May 25, 2013 10:26 AM EDT

It's not really the plotholes that bugged me, I understand their necessity and hope to see how things turn out.

I was more letdown by the factions and just quests in general. Most factions were short and, other than the thieves guild, you became the leader almost immediately without really doing much. I also think that most of the side quests aren't all that special either, some were decent but on the whole they felt lack luster to say the least.