Forums » Elder Scrolls

Modding

• 1 posts
    May 23, 2013 6:44 PM EDT
    Do you all think that modding ruins a game and takes the fun out of it or does it add to the fun I want your opinion
    • 952 posts
    May 23, 2013 6:47 PM EDT

It adds to the fun if you get good mods, if you get the nude mods/anime mods you won't make the game any better (unless you're one of THOSE people).

• 1483 posts
    May 23, 2013 6:48 PM EDT

Pretty much what Dieter said 

• 40 posts
    May 26, 2013 5:04 PM EDT

I just got into modding and it is super fun. I would suggest watching a tutorial on Nexus Mod Manager. I actually took some notes and it really helped me download my mods correctly. It was very easy.

I just installed the following the other day and they are really awesome and have helped with game immersion.

Alternate Start: Live Another Life - When you start a new character, you bypass the cart and dragon scene. It starts you locked in a prison with only a statue of Mara for company. When you talk to the statue, Mara speaks and gives you options for a new life. It has completely refreshed the game for me in terms of role play. There's even a special start for each race.

Immersive Armors and Immersive Weapons (Two different mods): More armors and weapons that actually look good. Granted, some of the weapons need work, but most of them are lore appropriate.

Cloaks of Skyrim - Adds cloaks to the game that you can create yourself or loot. NPC's are also wearing cloaks where appropriate. I thought it would be overwhelming but it is not and looks really cool. This mod had to be put in manually but so worth the effort.

Anyway, I just started and was worried about what it would do to my game but so far it is running smoothly.

• 1483 posts
    May 26, 2013 5:14 PM EDT

There are a lot of awesome mods there. I really recommend Unofficial Patches for Skyrim and all DLCs you have. Makes the game a whole lot stable and you don't have to worry about quest glitching. There is one that I use from the start, it's called Closer Quivers and Longer Arrows and does basically what's in the name. The quivers no longer clip with bows when sheathed. It also moves crossbow bolts closer to the body and have option to remove them. Also a very good mod for immersion is iHud that let's you hide elements of the HUD like compass, magicka/health/stamina bar when not in combat, crosshair etc.

There is also a very good site with lore-friendly mods called SkyrimGems. It's basically a categorized list of good mods with links.

• 11 posts
    May 26, 2013 11:20 PM EDT

Pretty much the only things I add are supplementary, like LOTR armors and weapons, among other things. I also do things for fixes if I don't have access to the DLC, like the accursed shrouded cowl's lacking of a mask, even when it should have one.

So yes, I think mods can help a game.