Forums » General Gaming

Skyrim on PC: Is it worth it for mods?

• 7 posts
    May 15, 2013 7:49 PM EDT
    I've always loved Xbox, and I get all my games on Xbox with a few exceptions. I currently play Skyrim on Xbox but have been thinking about getting Skyrim for PC to get access to mods. Is it worth the $60 just for mods?
    • 1483 posts
    May 15, 2013 7:53 PM EDT

If you have the PC that can run Skyrim along with a lot of mods, yes. If you'll be forced to use only a few then no. Mods are used to tailor the game to your liking, if you can't improve all the aspects you want you might as well stick with Xbox IMO.

• 34 posts
    May 15, 2013 8:08 PM EDT

Vazgen is partially correct, If you can run it you should get it. However, even if you can only run on medium or low settings you can still mod the game quite a bit. The only thing that will stop you from modding when on a low end PC are mods that will drop performance, like ENB's and very high resolution textures, but that doesn't mean you only will be able too use a few mods. Playing Skyrim on Low or Medium settings should be the same graphics as on Xbox or PS3 while giving you the option too mod. And Skyrim is only $30 on steam right now.

• 7 posts
    May 15, 2013 9:21 PM EDT
    I heard desktops are more suited for gaming, but I have an old XPS gaming laptop with a replaced and repaired motherboard and it can still run all programs. My desktop uses a high speed gaming computer case hooked up to two monitors. They're both used for gaming and Internet browsing. Which would be more suited for running Skyrim with average quality graphic settings and mods?
    • 253 posts
    May 15, 2013 9:35 PM EDT

I have an xbox, but I think PC Skyrim would be also worth it more for the console commands commands and for the Unofficical Skyrim Patch. I advise you get it, but it is really up to you. 

• 34 posts
    May 15, 2013 11:33 PM EDT

Your case and motherboard will not tell me if you can run it. 

Check out this site. Needs java, and 100% trustworthy since it is owned by Futuremark (They make the best benchmarking software and if you are no stranger too PC gaming you will have heard of them). 

http://www.yougamers.com/games/

Search for Skyrim and run the game-o-meter. It will show you an easy too read graph that will tell you what kind of performance you will get. 

• if it is under minimum you will not be able too run Skyrim
    • if it has minimum requirements you will be able too run Skyrim on the lowest settings
    • if you have recommended requirements then you will be able too play on medium
    • if you are over recommended you will be able too go higher than medium depending on how powerful your computer is.
    • 162 posts
    May 16, 2013 6:34 AM EDT

For me it was worth it, though I use only a few mods. The better graphics, the 8 hotkeys, the ability to take screenshots and the possibility to mod gives the game quite something extra for me. The only drawback was the switch from the steplessly variable controler movement to the stop-run WASD movement.

• 952 posts
    May 16, 2013 7:03 AM EDT
    You can plug in an Xbox controller in a PC and use it without problems, for a Playstation controller you can find some good free software to use it. That's not really a problem, I use a controller for some games as well.
    • 108 posts
    May 16, 2013 9:21 AM EDT

Definitely. I could not play the game without them.

• 162 posts
    May 16, 2013 9:28 AM EDT

We've only wireless controllers here .

• 952 posts
    May 16, 2013 12:48 PM EDT

So there's no signal receiver plugged into the xbox as well? I always assumed even the wireless ones had a receiver so you could use it on multiple platforms.

• May 16, 2013 12:53 PM EDT

Of course desktops are better for gaming. It's more confortable, less overheat and you can have a bigger screen.

And yeah, Skyrim is a lot better on PC's. The mods are definitely worth it.

• May 16, 2013 1:44 PM EDT
    Yeah, PC gaming is definitely better. Though I disagree with more comfortable and a bigger screen. With an Xbox or Ps3 you can lay down on the couch, lay back in a recliner, etc. And computer screens are almost never as big as flat screens.

But yes, I do agree that Pc is better.
    • 111 posts
    May 16, 2013 8:23 PM EDT

I've always gamed on a pc. Never had an Xbox but feel sorry for gamers if they never get to experience the benefits of playing games on a desktop pc

Graphics, access to mods and modding yourself these are all benefits but really it's a bit like the difference betweentasting a plain beef sandwich iin white bread, and a beef sandwich in wholemeal with horseradish, mixed salad veg, and seasoning  

• May 24, 2013 12:36 PM EDT

At Best Buy, Skyrim was only $30. I originally bought Skyrim for the Xbox 360, but I recently got it for PC. I've dabbled with some mods here and there. Overall, I would say it is definitely worth it. You can make your own mods or get mods other people have already created. Plus, if you connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC, you can play it just as you do on the Xbox 360. 

• 41 posts
    May 24, 2013 1:01 PM EDT

With Bethesda not making anymore DLC modding skyrim can keep it fresh. Some of the quest mods are just as big as a DLC.

• 32 posts
    May 24, 2013 4:48 PM EDT

You've got to buy the receiver if you want to use it on a PC. The Xbox syncs directly to the controller.

• 77 posts
    May 24, 2013 5:22 PM EDT

No, but if you're only thinking of the mods then that's just stupid.

PC: Better graphics for computers that are better than the Xbox (so pretty much every dual core PC)

PC: Mouse and keyboard is superior in every objective way, and if you still prefer controller you can plug one in.

PC: Steam big picture, sit in your couch and play a 1080p game on a giant ass screen.

PC: Mods, like you mentioned.

PC: Earlier patches

PC: Cheaper than xbox games.

PC: Steam overlay, chat with friends or google things ingame.

And btw, why are you paying 60 usd for it? Have you looked at the prices at all? It's understandable if you live in Australia or something, where prices are high. But just take a look at the steam price, it's lower than 60 usd. Take a look at amazon.com, lower than 60. I bet you could use a site like pricerunner and find it for lower than 30 usd. This myth that games cost 60 bucks is getting tiresome. I buy new games at 33% less all the time. You just have to google the game and find the cheapest store.

• 952 posts
    May 24, 2013 5:34 PM EDT

It's 29.99€ on Steam right now, it was discounted again recently but not anymore. It gets discounted a lot though.