Forums » The Lounge

Video Group Categories + How to use guide!

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 13, 2013 5:54 AM EDT

Hi Guys,

The video section of The Skyrim Blog is dedicated to any type of video on the internet related to The Elder Scrolls series and that covers all previous and future elder scrolls games, as such any footage that is not part of The Elder Scrolls series will be deleted.

All videos are now categorised into the following links:

• Machinima Any footage that is manipulated and are edited forms of gameplay footage made to either be a story, music video and or any other type of footage that uses a gaming engine to make. Also animations can be called Machinima to place them into this category won't isolate them from views.
    • Movie - Any live action footage of actors in the real world, not including machinima.
    • Gameplay - Any footage that is purely Gameplay not manipulated to appear as a story but rather raw footage.
    • News Any footage that is related to either events happening or yet to happen but are related to information rather than entertainment. This will also include trailers to games yet to or those that have come out. Tutorials as well as guides or tips and tricks are counted as News as well.
    • Comedy Any footage that aims to be funny (whether it succeeds or not) and can be a movie or machinima.
    • Drama Any type of footage that has a basis in being dramatic, other genres such as romance, thriller or horror can fit into this area, so if your genre is not Comedy, it should go into Drama.
    • Music Any footage that has music as the only audio or most of it, can either be with a person simply filming themself singing or movie or machinima.
    • Lore - Any lore based stories whether a voice over on images or with video footage that is either a movie or machinima. 
    • Mods Any footage related to mods for any Elder Scrolls title and can be either gameplay, movie or machinima stlyised.
    • Builds - Any footage that is of a build from an Elder Scrolls title, this can either be gameplay or machinima style included.

As such some videos will have multiple categories but I would like to not over-inflate each category so I will keep it to a maximum of 3 categories for each video.

From now on though it would be most helpful if when you post up a film in the video section that you tag it yourself with 1 - 3 of the tags listed above.

The Screenshots below will show you how to use the custom search effectively to get the most out of your search.

I hope the Video section can become a sort of Mini-Video library filled with selections that people enjoy that have had their peers choose and review for them, knowing it's worth the watch even before the click.

Enjoy All,

~TZ

• 708 posts
    May 13, 2013 5:58 AM EDT

I'll make sure I go through mine and save you the trouble

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 13, 2013 6:12 AM EDT

Cheers mate. 

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 13, 2013 6:14 AM EDT

Also Ponty, I've added Builds as a category so add that too, realised we had quite a few lol.

• 708 posts
    May 13, 2013 6:23 AM EDT

Eh, I don't post build videos in the video section so doesn't really matter

• 708 posts
    May 13, 2013 6:26 AM EDT

Also Animations might be a good one to add

• 856 posts
    May 13, 2013 6:37 AM EDT

TZ, are you planning on having a format to the tags, such as "Video tagname" or something similar.

And also would it not be better to delete the 'earliest' when deleting duplicate videos instead of 'random' chance?

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 13, 2013 7:15 AM EDT

I am currently scrolling backwards, so going through page 1, 2, 3 in that order, so once I tag one, if I find a duplicate which is older, it would get deleted to save time, however if in the future someone posts a duplicate of an older one after I have already tagged one set of that video, then the new one will be deleted. So it's not so much chance, but which one is more time efficient.

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 13, 2013 7:16 AM EDT

Animations we can add to Machinima, I don't want the categories to be too spread out otherwise some will be very thin, still want a bit of content for people to chew through. 

• 856 posts
    May 13, 2013 7:37 AM EDT

I do not envy you the task.  Good luck and Congratulations to your posting, btw.

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 13, 2013 7:59 AM EDT

Cheers, I am going to do as many chunks at a time as I can each session of re-tagging, so anyone out there who can, please re-tag your own videos in the mean time if I have not done it already and if I have miss-tagged your video i.e put Drama instead of Comedy, feel free to fix that, I am quickly looking through ambiguous videos to see categories but I may do the wrong one since I am not watching through all videos. 

• 856 posts
    May 13, 2013 8:11 AM EDT

I retagged my (2) videos.  I assumed that I could use 'unofficial' tags in addition to the 'official'.

• 708 posts
    May 13, 2013 8:16 AM EDT

Sounds good, glad to see you're right on cleaning up the video section!

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 14, 2013 2:10 AM EDT

Unofficial are fine, just 1-3 max for official. So far I am wiping clean any tags that are not official, feel free to add unofficial tags once your official are locked in. 

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 14, 2013 10:47 AM EDT

Quite a few videos have been deleted due to when I clicked them they were either a) set to private or b) had been deleted from YouTube. 

• 1483 posts
    May 14, 2013 11:07 AM EDT

Even a host can't view private videos?

• May 14, 2013 11:11 AM EDT
    They're private on YouTube.
    • 1483 posts
    May 14, 2013 11:17 AM EDT

Ah, I see. OK 

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 15, 2013 10:57 AM EDT

I have updated this thread with links and also a how to guide to use the search feature for the video section. Enjoy. 

• 1913 posts
    May 15, 2013 11:02 AM EDT
    What about videos on explaining a glitch?
  • TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 15, 2013 11:04 AM EDT

Gameplay, News, anything that is informative can go into News. Doesn't have to be official news so this can include tips and tricks and or tutorials.

• TZ
    • 28 posts
    May 17, 2013 7:56 AM EDT

Thanks to those are have kept using the Categories system!