Forums » Elder Scrolls

Oblivion or Skyrim?

• 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:14 PM EDT

Thats actually pretty much exactly how I feel about this XD. Yeah, they did get way to lazy with unique weapons in Skyrim. None of em' are as interesting as Oblivion. Theres Aegisbane, a warhammer, Trollsbane, another warhammer, Nightingale Blade, which is good, Chillenrend dont count as its in both games, the Pale Blade, Bolar's Oathblade, and Nettlebane. None of those weapons are that good, and I'm suprised I remembered  a lot of them.

P.S-Oh! The Blade Of Woe and Friendiels End, and Windshear! All of those are good except Friendiels End...

• 36 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:24 PM EDT

The worst part is that they don't actually look unique.  They just look like some normal grade of weapon.  They just have a name and maybe a unique enchantment

• 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 10:04 PM EDT

You're right with that. The only one I said that is unique is the Nightingale Blde. Chillenrend is also techincally special. I think the Pale Blade is too.

• 80 posts
    May 5, 2013 1:57 AM EDT

I liked the factions in Oblivion a whole lot more than the ones in Skyrim. I felt a sense of accomplishment when I became the leader, unlike Skyrim's factions where, with the exception of the thieves' guild, all you had to do was complete a small handful of missions before becoming the leader. The biggest offender to this was the College of Winterhold. It took longer to get the recommendations in Oblivion than it did to become Archmage in Skyrim and that's just sad.

That said, I enjoyed the overall feel of Skyrim more than Oblivion. I felt I had more freedom in Skyrim than I did in Oblivion and that the RP elements were more fleshed out. (I could actually make a necromancer in Skyrim)

Both games are great, just for different reasons.

• 409 posts
    May 5, 2013 10:49 AM EDT
    Oblivion is great but what really bothers me with it is that EVERYTHING is leveled. If I want a decent form of whatever gear I want I have to grind levels before I go for it and if you played Oblivion you know what trying to level up is like..... my best method is to use a conjuration summon then beat it down with my sword rinse and repeat with the occasional weapon repairing and getting hit so my armor also raise. It should not be that difficult to level.
    • 38 posts
    May 5, 2013 11:53 AM EDT

Yeah, that is a massive pain. Wanna get Umbra? TOO BAD! You have to grind in order to get the ACTUAL Ebony Armor from her. Otherwise its orcish level gear . Chillenrend is leveled too. So is..well EVERYTHING IS! You want to get any amount of good armor you need to grind a fucking lot!

P.S- Dread, another way to level up is to go to Cloud Ruler Temple. Glitch SLIGHTY into the fireplace, be careful cause you can get stuck, and jump. You should start floating...kinda. This will level eitheir acrobatics or atheiletics, I forget. Just leave it there and you should level up.

• 409 posts
    May 5, 2013 2:04 PM EDT
    I know I want to get the Vile Lair DLC but everything in it is leveled at the level I was when I downloaded the DLC!
    • 38 posts
    May 5, 2013 2:25 PM EDT

Vile Lair is leveled? Its just a home no? Granted I know its meant for d-bag vampires (no racism meant there), but that stuff is really leveled? Huh. My DLC shit had a sezuire and it all died. Except Shivering Isles. So...win?

• 5 posts
    May 5, 2013 2:30 PM EDT

I started with Morrowind but never actually completed it.  I have too many found memories of just jumping every where.  Arcobatics FTW.

Anyways back on topic, Oblivion was fun for a first play through but After I beat the game ( A fight scene where I had very little to do)  I was done, shelved the game and haven't picked it up again.

Skyrim, I just feel like it keeps going and going.  You complete the main story line, so what?!?  The world is saved from Dragons, but now you have Bandits, Vampires, and Daedra that are still problems in the world that should be dealt with.

Oh and the option to destory the Dark Brotherhood.  Glorious.

• 77 posts
    May 5, 2013 3:01 PM EDT

For me it's like this: Skyrim is objectively better than Oblivion in a lot of areas, and I will never back down from this. Just like Oblivion however, it has it's problems. Oblivion delivers a different experience than Skyrim, and that's why I think it still holds up. If you want a more classic fantasy, play Oblivion. If you want to go full on Viking mode, play Skyrim. The people who say Oblivion is better than Skyrim are clearly only going on nostalgia.

• 409 posts
    May 5, 2013 3:01 PM EDT
    In the lair there is a leveled Daedric dagger and a leveled set of unique (and more powerful) dark brotherhood armor that has extra enchants.
    • 37 posts
    May 5, 2013 3:23 PM EDT

all the elder scrolls games has its pros and cons but i have enjoyed playing them anyway. my pet peeve about oblivion ( and this was also a problem in daggerfall and morrowind as well ) was the facts that the races were locked into these stereotypes and that females are smarter but males are stronger attitude. want to be a orc? no problem. want to play an orc female mage? okay. an male orc mage?  too bad. i mean you can play as one but its a real hassle at times.

granted that skyrim has these issues as well like the khaijit with his skill set but one can work around that so he can be a warrior or mage or even a warrior-mage not just a thief.