Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is stronger - Vampire Lord or Werewolf?

• 365 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:25 PM EDT

I want to base a future build on either one as I haven't done yet, but wanted to know which one is stronger, which can be determined by a few things:

Least cons than the other choice

Stats are much better than other choice

Perks - Necromage for Vamps etc.

Wanted to know, all things considered, what is a actually stronger in gameplay.

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:27 PM EDT
    The least cons come from a werewolf... You can't get a bonus from sleeping... Darn...
    • 490 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:28 PM EDT

Vampire lord is more powerful to me. Just float around, chucking peeps and throwing life absorbing bombs. Ah ... the life ...

• 158 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:29 PM EDT

Not just that. Once  a day (unless you use the ring of hircine, VL is as many time as you want), you become a great big monster with limited capabilities, attacked on sight etc etc

Vampire lord also gives capabilities outside the VL form, which is also why it has more downsides, for balance.

• April 22, 2013 7:31 PM EDT
    VL form is a lot better, you're never gonna get hit! Maybe by a stray arrow but you can just absorb it back in a couple seconds.

Which is why I enjoy Lycanthropy more than VL (if we're comparing the forms only, vampirism has more impact on a playthrough so I generally enjoy it more).
    • 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:32 PM EDT
    You think VL is better... That's why you prefer lycanthropy?
  • April 22, 2013 7:34 PM EDT
    Hmm, good point. I should've said stronger.
    • 1483 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:36 PM EDT

I prefer Vampire Lord form. You don't get to hear comments about fur coming out of your ears 

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:37 PM EDT
    I like one spell from vampire lord form... The blood drain one... It was the only one that was useful to me. The grip one barely threw enemies, it was more like I tripped them, they wouldn't go far no matter how long I held them... The gargoyle isn't strong, it got taken down my a bunch of bandits... Paralyze... The only use for that I felt was to use blood drain, which I feel doesn't count as a point for paralyze since the killing blow is another spell.
    • 158 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:38 PM EDT

Objectively speaking from a gameplay standpoint, VL is stronger. Even without 90% of its power, Vampiric grip and the absorb life spell are an unstoppable force. The werewolf needs to get in close to attack, but can't because it's kept at bay by the grip. At a distance the VL will just keep lobbing those absorb life bombs. 

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:39 PM EDT
    I hear from almost everybody "you look pale, you look sick, afraid of the sun are you?" At least the werewolf ones are kinda funny, those are annoying!
  • April 22, 2013 7:41 PM EDT
    So illusion isn't useful even though it can stop a Charaus Reaper in its tracks on Legendary?
    • 1483 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:42 PM EDT

And VL can float above the water!

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:43 PM EDT
    What illusion spell? Vampire don't come with an illusion spell... They come with a power that stops 1 level 10 person/creature from attacking... Wow... So useful
    • 158 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:44 PM EDT

I'm not sure what's wrong with your vampiric grip, but mine throws enemies plenty far haha

Perhaps you've been aiming too low? If you aim about 45 degrees in the air they'll fly nicely 

• 1483 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:44 PM EDT

In my game people are afraid of me  They say "that's a bad hunger in your eyes" and try to stay clear 

• April 22, 2013 7:45 PM EDT
    "Paralyze... The only use for that I felt was to use blood drain, which I feel doesn't count as a point for paralyze since the killing blow is another spell." So, by extension, since illusion doesn't deliver the killing blow, it is not useful.
    • 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:46 PM EDT
    I have to use math in order to play the game? Screw that! Plus, the questline isn't even that interesting on the vampire side, the perks (what little there are) for being a vampire lord are not worth putting up with that side of the questline...
    • 1483 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:48 PM EDT

The story is the same for both sides. Actually you can get all the Dawnguard benefits even if you've sided with Harkon. The opposite is not true.

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:48 PM EDT
    Well I don't play on master so it is useless to me...
    • 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:51 PM EDT
    It helps me be invisible to avoid combat... Useful. It helps make enemies run away of kill themselves... Useful... It calms enemies so I don't have to waste time fighting... Useful... Paralyze isn't useful at all without some ways of causing damage
    • 158 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:52 PM EDT

Wait, so I don't need a protractor when playing skyrim? 

Basically, just use logic when aiming the grip was the point I was making. Aiming low will send them low.

Addressing your point on the gargoyle, it's not going to take down any more than 2-3 bandits on its own. Twas not designed to be a summoned killing machine of death. It was designed like every other summon; to take the hits away from you and even the odds number wise. If you summon it and sit back hoping it'll solve all your problems....well...good luck buddy 

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:53 PM EDT
    Yeah, but you don't really get the final battle between vampire hunters and vampires on their side do you? (Yes I know the final fight is lacking, but still...)
    • 1483 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:54 PM EDT

I prefer rebuilding the Castle Volkihar 

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 7:54 PM EDT
    I tried looking low, aiming high, moving on an angle, turning... At best they move maybe 2 feet...