Forums » Elder Scrolls

Looking ahead to TES VI. Your hopes and expectations?

• 189 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:05 PM EDT

Well, with today's announcement from Bethesda that they will no longer be developing for Skyrim, I figured it might be a good time to reopen the classic discussion.  We've all spent plenty of time with Skyrim, and many of us also spent plenty of time with previous TES games as well.  Granted, Bethsda's next game will most likely be Fallout 4, which means we should not expect TES VI for several more years (I doubt any early than 2017).  That said, with Skyrim still fresh in our minds, I think we are in a great position to begin looking ahead to the next installment in the series.

Where do you guys think TES VI will be set?  There has been speculation for Valenwood, Eslweyr, and Summerset Isle, though others have brought up the possibility of the Black Marsh, or revisiting Hammerfell, or even travelling to another continent, such as Akavir or Pyandonea.  There's even the possibility of the game taking place in multiple provinces, such as combining Elsweyr and Valenwood, or Morrowind and the Black Marsh.  Personally, I think the most likely regions are Summerset Isle and Valenwood.  I think the former would offer more closure in terms of the Thalmor-related political events of TES V, as well as interesting architecture and a very different socipolitical spectrum from the past couple of Elder Scrolls games.  The latter would offer more insight into the social aspect of Bosmer culture, which I find fascinating.  I'd especially love to experience the Wild Hunt, which is something so interesting and extraordinary that I think it could feature in the game's main quest, should it take place in Valenwood.

I don't know about you guys, but as much as I enjoyed Skyrim, there were a few things I would have liked to see changed.  So here are a few of my wishes for TES VI:

1. Bring back the ability to "create" spell scrolls by enchanting rolls of paper.  Makes for an interesting alternative to staves and standard spells  I think it'd be cool to build a character whose only means of dsamage output is self-made scrolls.

2. Bring back spears.  Seriously, the coolest weapons.  They offer more utility than arguably any other weapon.  Good for light foot soldiers, heavy infantry, mounted combat, etc.

3. Bring back the Unarmed skill tree.  Ideally the Unarmored tree as well...

4. Bring back shouts.  I think it's pretty clear that other cultures are known have the ability, even if they have different traditions and/or explanations for it.  The shouts were absolutely awesome, one of my favorite parts of Skyrim.  Would be a shame to lose that system in the next game.

So I've rambled for quite a bit now.  But I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts, hopes, and expectations for TES VI.  Where do you think it will take place?  What do you want?  What don't you want?  When do you expect it to come out?

• 127 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:16 PM EDT

A weapon editor, where you can smith your own weapon and decide it's shape, sharpness, weight and things like that. If it's heavy it swings slower, if it's light it swings faster. That way finally I may be able to use two handed swords faster. Same with the armor too.

Gathering, better crafting, taming, shapeshifting, counter attacking, building a house anywhere you want and in any shape you want, drugs, emotions like hugging, kissing etc. disposition, a flying craft or some kind of flying, using your tamed pets as mounts, possessing pets and people, aging maybe.

• 1483 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:30 PM EDT

Each of the previous TES games since Morrowind had a default race when starting the game corresponding to the game's location (Dunmer in Morrowind, Nords in Skyrim...). I agree that it's not a compelling argument at all but following this logic the game should take place in larger provinces like High Rock or Hammerfell. I'd personally prefer the game to take place in Hammerfell with added hardcore mode for surviving in the desert. The Hammerfell location can also provide a setting like a new Thalmor invasion, and a player's choice to support either the Thalmor or Redguards. Or it can be an inside conflict between the desert tribes and city folk (and the Summerset Isle as an expansion, involving fending off Thalmor invasion and fighting them on thier own turf). There can be DLC expansions involving Stros M'kai island and Yokuda continent (which is believed to be sank, but some sources refer to the continent as if it still exists). There are also dwemer ruins in Hammerfell  What I want is a game with minimum bugs (almost impossible in case of Bethesda but anyway), updated graphics, spell combinations, shadow magic. As for when I think it'll come out, probably after 3-4 years considering upcoming releases of ESO (which will be a failure compared to Skyrim IMO) and much speculated Fallout 4

• 127 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:35 PM EDT

*Bugthesda.

• 6 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:39 PM EDT
    I would like to see a Hardcore Mode that requires eating, sleeping etc. I would also like to see armor and weapon degradation, even if it's only in Hardcore.
    • 1483 posts
    April 15, 2013 5:40 PM EDT

The funny part is that the modders fix a 90% of bugs within a few weeks after release, when the developers don't fix some bugs for over a year (like Silent Moons Enchant) 

• 89 posts
    April 15, 2013 9:27 PM EDT
    Better A.I. I'd like the npc's to have a better idea who you are in the world. More immersion, it doesn't matter how, you can implement it into many things...skills, npc's, world, etc.
    • 189 posts
    April 15, 2013 10:13 PM EDT

Yeah, definitely.  I especially want something like being able to wear costumes.  There are a few instances in Skyrim where NPCs will comment on your outfit, but only one or two [quest-related] that it actually makes any difference.  This should especially hold true if part of the costume is a helm with a full visor.

e.g., if I kill a Whiterun guard and put on his gear, citizens and guards should assume I'm a real guard.  If I wear that same set in a different hold, people should comment stuff like "What are you doing outside your jurisdiction?" and stuff like that.  If I'm wearing Radiant Raiment Fine Clothes, NPCs shouldn't say things that suggest my outfit sucks.  If I'm wearing a full set of Daedric gear, kids shouldn't run up to me and tell me that I look like a wuss...  Clearly I could liquefy them (if they weren't essential, that is).

Speaking of kids, I like their presence in the game world, but maybe flesh them out a bit.  Give them more dialog, make more kids central to quests (e.g., Fallout 3's Little Lamplight).  Include kids for all races, not just Nords.

I'll also bring up something that was discussed in a recent poll: I personally would love racial perk trees.  They don't have to be super deep, but just a few perks for each race to help make them actually stand out a bit would be awesome in my opinion.  You don't have to take anything away from other races, but it helps give each race a real reason to stand out in the endgame.

I like Shuuiketsu's ideas, especially a proper system of parrying/counterattacking.  Though I have a feeling that would be VERY difficult to implement without a complete engine overhaul, and honestly I feel like that would really be a step away from "RPG" and towards "Action," which is a concern of mine.  The idea of shapeshifting is an interesting one, and it kind of relates to the costume idea in a way.  That would be very tricky to get right.  If the next game is set in Valenwood though, shapeshifting would surely come to pass in some form, since it is a key aspect of the Wild Hunt, and it would be a huge travesty if they set a game in Valenwood and didn't include the Wild Hunt....

Personally, after going from Oblivion to Skyrim, I'm a big supporter of getting rid of weapon degradation   I'd be opposed to seeing that make a return.  Along with Athletics (at least in the same form as it was in Oblivion).  In TES IV, skills like Agility, Athletics, Speechcraft, and Smithing all leveled passively, and you had little or no way of avoiding those level-ups.  Bethesda did a great job fixing that in Skyrim, and I hope it stays the same way in TES VI.

• 41 posts
    April 19, 2013 11:28 AM EDT

You beat me to it   I was going to start a similar post. Well with all things in life everything has to come to an end at some point unfortunately   Now is a good time to end Skyrim, especially with the next generation consoles only being 6/7 months away. The next generation console games are rumoured to " Dwarf " the current ones in size, so with that in mind I would fully expect to see either:

1)  Two provinces included in the next Elder Scrolls game ( E.G. Blackmarsh + Hammerfell )  the second province would be unlockable after completing a certain amount of main story quests.

2) Stick with the usual one province - BUT, increase the size of the world map by say x2 or x3.

3)  Bethesda could even say have one province ( E.G. Hammerfell ) plus include one or several small islands, that again would unlock after completing a portion of main story quests.

In essence Bethesda have to think big on Elder Scrolls 6, it would be both a crime and a waste to not make full use of the vast amount of extra space they have available on the new console discs.  Basically they will have to double the amount of content at the very least also: say 10-12 factions/guilds, 18-20 towns/cities, 15-20 small villages, More weapon + Armour choices ETC..

• 41 posts
    April 19, 2013 12:27 PM EDT

It would be nice to be able to visit every province... even if they had to limit the amount of space on each province.

• 1483 posts
    April 19, 2013 7:41 PM EDT

Are the first two Dragon Age inspired?  I loved that game and the magic in it! 

• 189 posts
    April 19, 2013 7:51 PM EDT

They talked about wanting to do spell combos for Skyrim, but having trouble implementing it to a satisfactory level.  They may consider trying that again for TES VI though.  I don't see them adding "earth" as an element.  I think, if anything, they'd put "air" as the fourth element.  But even that is almost guaranteed not to happen.  I think the three element system is probably going to be the norm for the foreseeable future of TES games.

• 1483 posts
    April 19, 2013 7:52 PM EDT

My last character was using Earth and Summoning spells and Glyphs. Was very fun  Would be awesome to combine different schools too, like Fire Rune + Fear = Fear Fire Rune, Paralyze + Frenzy Rune = enemy is frenzied and lays paralyzed while his friend are hitting him, muhahaha 

• 89 posts
    April 19, 2013 8:16 PM EDT
    I think they should definitely build on the speech tree. I'd like to see persuasion and intimidation implemented better. Maybe even a whole new speech system entirely, in which your able to use your tongue to get in or out of situations on a more impressive level. Also it'd be nice if it wasn't a fixed kinda thing, where it wouldn't be easily dooped, randomizing it in a way.
    • 365 posts
    April 19, 2013 8:21 PM EDT

I would love a fully customizable weapon editor!

Drag the points of the mesh of the sword about whilst you craft it, decide a metal texture and colouring, weight etc.

Is there any existing games that do those things???

• 89 posts
    April 19, 2013 8:40 PM EDT
    I think the old system was great, the only thing was you could exploit it but it was alot...alot better than this one. They really took a step back I think with the dialogue and fame system.
    • 158 posts
    April 19, 2013 8:44 PM EDT

There's some pretty good stuff coming out here. Personally, I felt as Dragonborn I was unappreciated in Skyrim. in the next TES, wherever I am, whoever am, I want a castle. A big castle 

Anyway, there are a few other things too:

1. A more complex and deeply fleshed out magic gameplay. This could include spell creation, scroll creation, more variety of spells and schools etc. If the game is set a couple hundred years in the future, of even a few decades, who's to say no-one has experimented with previously undiscovered magics (shadow magic, earth magic, to name a few already mentioned). Also, if I enchant my sword with fire, when I unsheathe it, I want my sword to be on fire! or have electricity sparkling from it, or it to be as radiant as the sun as it cuts through undead hordes!

2. Skills affect dialogue. If I am a god master of destruction magic then I doubt the meat merchant who has $5 to his name is going to have the nerve to charge full price. Or if I into a bar with impeccable heavy armour on, who in their right mind would challenge me to a fist fight? Little things like that.

3. Reputation. If I slaughter an entire hold, leave and enter another, I want to be feared. I want someone to try and exact vengeance. In the next TES they should implement a system that tracks what I do and alters NPC with accordance to it. No kiddy wants to be play tag with a lord of destruction who has killed their parents but moments ago. On the other hand, if I save the world from a dragon that's trying to eat your soul and devour the world, I should be praised, given a free home (not charged 5000 gold for providing you a service out of the goodness of my heart). If I accidentally pick one of the jarls red flowers, I shouldn't be sent to jail, hell, the guards should join in and make me a freaking bouquet of flowers in thanks.

• April 19, 2013 8:46 PM EDT

cooperative play!