Forums » Elder Scrolls

Followers of Skyrim

• 24 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:08 AM EDT

Followers of Skyrim 

Hello there Skyrim Blog community! 

This is a post dedicated to followers and your opinion on them. 

In this discussion I would like to know: 

• Do you like followers? Yes or No. Explain why. 
    • Who are your favourite followers? 
    • What type of follower are they? Housecarl, Hired merc, quest etc 

Notes: The sovengarde hero's do not count. Pets do not count (ie: Armored troll). 

If you obtain a follower through a DLC please put ' Dragonborn/Dawnguard Spoilers' at the top of your comment. 

• 7 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:14 AM EDT

Do you like followers? Yes or No. Explain why. 

- Yeah! They make me feel not alone walking through that huge map.

Who are your favourite followers? 

- Mjoll the Lioness. Has been my only follower ever, for a long time.

What type of follower are they? Housecarl, Hired merc, quest etc 

- Quest follower.

• 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:18 AM EDT
    :'(
    • 1483 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:19 AM EDT

I don't use followers, they tend to rush enemies when I'm sneaking, activate the traps I've carefully avoided and block passages. They are one of the reasons I dislike Companions questline - there is always someone following you!

• 59 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:39 AM EDT

Most stupid actions of folowers are easy to avoid (jump over trap and run a few feet b4 they activate), as long as im not playing a cutrout or something, I like them. Epecialy on master and now Legandary.

Favorite.... Whel that tends to be lore decided. I do like Mjoll cuese she cant die . But im even starting to aprisiate the mages from winterhold. And I love Azura's priestes, She owns .

Oh, and my I see my most loved follewes are quest reward, even Lydia is :P

As a side note, who else makes special tailored follower gear? I do, makes them 500% more effective.

• 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:50 AM EDT
    I love followers for one reason... Being alone for that amount of time, seeing all the things you see? That would drive anyone mad, I believe followers are there to comfort my characters through bad times (in RP of course)
    • 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 12:10 PM EDT
    ...... *beats M'aiq over the head with the nearest blunt object until my anger subsides*
    • 856 posts
    April 13, 2013 12:22 PM EDT

M'aiq says:  You hit like a butterfly.

• 78 posts
    April 13, 2013 4:52 PM EDT

agreed

• 41 posts
    April 20, 2013 8:34 AM EDT

I`ve recently started playing around with followers as before I chose to ignore them.  I like Jenassa  from Whiterun, she fits in perfectly with any sneak type character. She is good with a bow and if you give her the giant`s club from Tumble Arch Pass, then she is lethal in melee too  

• April 20, 2013 11:54 AM EDT

I personally like to adventure the world on my own, if anything, conjure my own little army if need be. I don't necessarily dislike followers, I just prefer to fly solo. However, I sometimes find myself wanting a follower for the main purpose of being my pack mule. Or interesting dialogue as I go around Skyrim. Otherwise they tend to get in the way.

If I had to have a follower, I like Kharjo. He's a very nice kitty. :P

• 41 posts
    April 20, 2013 1:15 PM EDT

Depends on my character's RP.

When playing with my main character (a Nord battlemage) I normally avoid followers, since he thinks that "he's adventures are too dangerous, so he prefers to risk hinself alone".

But in "important quests" I sometimes take a follower with me, that will always be a friend, or at least someone that my character know(Lydia, Serana, Frea). I don't like to choose followers based only in stats.

• 17 posts
    April 22, 2013 4:16 AM EDT

I don't know how I feel about followers. Sometimes they are helpful but sometimes annoying as shit. I killed Lydia 5 minutes after I got her, such a bitch... Besides her my only follower has been Serana from level 10 untill 60 ish. She tends to disappear, complain, get me stuck but she can put up a fight. All and all I am not a fan of followers. Quest followers are just retards. I was doing Thieves guild quests and final quest to kill guild master. We were sneaking through Dwemer ruins (on my new acc, level 20 with mastered sneak but low combat skills), those morons were activating all traps in whole damn ruins, I backstab falmer and they just yell and start bowing them down... * triple facepalm * 

At the end of the day I would run solo. Since I am now mostly sneaking they just get in the way.

• 2 posts
    April 22, 2013 6:13 AM EDT

When I decide to get a follower I usually take Lydia, but most of the time I venture alone. It's quite annoying when they trigger traps or make me get stuck because they don´t get out of the way. Not to mention when they simply vanish and I have to use the console to find them lol.

• 108 posts
    April 22, 2013 6:25 AM EDT

Belrand available early, spellsword, if you only get one, get him

Eola available early, spellsword

Jenassa available early, dual wield, afraid of tombs

try him once, I dare you:

Cicero talks a lot, apparently has the most lines of any npc

all of them will commit any crime which is convienient. ^_^

• April 22, 2013 10:07 AM EDT

Whenever I think of Cicero as a follower his horker dialogue is the first to come to mind lol

• 108 posts
    April 22, 2013 10:20 AM EDT

Haha, I definitely have to bring him his moon amulet at least once. I think he is a real asset, if he can sniff out enemies... or not. ^_^

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2013 10:27 AM EDT
    For a capable fighter, I choose Frea. Fr a more emotionally driven character, Serana. And for my second dragonborn character, his wife, women.
    • 108 posts
    April 22, 2013 10:28 AM EDT

... and it never quite goes away. ^_^

• 17 posts
    April 22, 2013 3:56 PM EDT

Heh, I was doing the first Miraak quest and I had Fera and Serana with me. We were fighting some draugr when suddenly Frea walked in front of Searanas spell. After killing was done, Frea turned around, called her backstabber and the epic battle begun. At the end Frea lost...by a lot. Serana had around 85% HP left while Frea was downed. Serana can be tough nut.

• 360 posts
    May 24, 2013 4:43 PM EDT
    I think the brotherhood initiate is the best, most eficent and better overall, follower. She is the only one i use, mostly for rp, but she is preety decent, some (myself included) would argue she is the best follower in the game
    • 80 posts
    May 24, 2013 5:13 PM EDT

This^

Not to mention that AoE spells always tends to kill them and that Companion's insight ability from Dragonborn works whenever it feels like working. I tried to use companions after getting that ability and was still able to kill 3 followers so I just gave up on followers forever.

• 62 posts
    May 24, 2013 5:47 PM EDT

Never really used them, simply because their path finding AI is awful. I always found them underpowered, too. Well, until recently at least. I decided to use a follower for a change, in this case a Dark Brotherhood Initiate. That girl is fearsome! I still sent her home after an hour though. Could not be bothered with her always lagging behind me. 

• 62 posts
    May 24, 2013 5:56 PM EDT

I refused to use the male version though.. for an admittedly silly reason.

We had matching beards. I did not want people to think we were beard buddies. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 24, 2013 7:43 PM EDT

I like them. Mostly for roleplaying.

2 - Kharjo, my favorite, and Teldryn Sero. They're great.

3 - Kharjo is available once you get his moon amulet, a gift from his mother when he was just a cub; (I can't say no to him when he asks that to me. I feel pity. In fact, how can anyone say no to him?)
    Teldryn Sero is a mercenary. A badass, awesome mercenary. It sucks that you can't take off or change his helmet.

4 - I hate Serana and Lydia.