Forums » Elder Scrolls

No HUD stealth is epic!

• 89 posts
    April 8, 2013 11:33 PM EDT
    I saw zach glaros post about legendary difficulty no HUD post,thought hmm...I'll try that. I incorporated it to an old build, the build relied on stealth but not heavily, but I liked the feel of it. I started a new build that relies heavily on stealth, I ditched legendary after a bit but the no HUD with stealth brings the roleplay to a whole nother level!
    • 291 posts
    April 8, 2013 11:37 PM EDT

Yes, yes it does.  I love not having that silly little eye in my face. :)

Playing without the HUD really does force you to watch visual cues, especially after you've been detected.

• 365 posts
    April 8, 2013 11:42 PM EDT

I'm gonna have to try this now...*tut* thanks anyway!

• 89 posts
    April 8, 2013 11:49 PM EDT
    I can't believe this never occurred to me! I love stealth builds but you get the feel after awhile that your abusing the A.I. This voids that, to me it does, your guy is not made for combat and in top of it you have to actually take chances, which makes the stealth feel so real!
    • 291 posts
    April 8, 2013 11:55 PM EDT

When you play without the crosshair, you'll have archery a new challenge, too.  It was definitely a learning curve for me.  I almost turned the thing back on when I realized that without the crosshair, I couldn't shoot for beans.  Now, I'm a lot better than I was.  I still have to aim carefully (especially from stealth), but I'm a lot faster at it.

• 365 posts
    April 8, 2013 11:59 PM EDT

Stealth + No HUD + Crossbow + New Thief build = Definitley trying tommorrow! night.

• 89 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:16 AM EDT
    I've done the no crosshair before and it was definitely harder but it was cool, but I knew when I was hidden. That old build I tried the no HUD at first was a pure archer, and not knowing when I was or wasn't hidden definitely changed the gameplay. I didn't feel like I had an advantage at all!
    • 89 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:21 AM EDT
    Dude...as soon as you stealth with any significance...you will feel the difference. Night n day...night n day!
    • 661 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:24 AM EDT

No Crosshairs! Dude I have been doing this since the days of Fallout 3. It is tricky if you suck. But I just stare at the center of the screen

• 106 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:32 AM EDT

Its fun right? In real life you're not going to know if people can see you, and archery takes skill with no crosshair(:

• 89 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:33 AM EDT
    Fallout crosshair sucks though, but yea no crosshair is old news. No HUD no cross, its different, it is.
    • 89 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:36 AM EDT
    Thank you sir! Why I didn't come to this conclusion is beyond me, but I thank you for the insight.
    • 661 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:37 AM EDT

All this is old and fascinating news. What makes No HUD better is the difficulty being vamped to a 1000! And the immersion is great too!

• 89 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:47 AM EDT
    I'm not playing on legendary, legendary sucks, at least on new builds. I'm all about immersion though, that's what I want! If its old news then shame on y'all for not Letin me in on it, or shame on me for not paying attention.
    • 661 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:57 AM EDT

Miss it once, shame on you!, Miss it twice, shame on you again. Miss it thrice. Well the shame is no longer bearable, cause you are a fool to not have known.

I have yet to play Legendary. I know I am going to die though. I do nuff damage on master, but I thinkest I am not ready for the pain and glory. One thing, aim high if you keep missing without the crosshair. And use spells to keep alive. Atm the I could care less about RP if I am playing on the highest difficulty. Seems more like a novice thing to me. Plus you level faster when you use all your skills in battle.

• 89 posts
    April 9, 2013 1:07 AM EDT
    Well the fool is letting you know...legendary sucks! Lol. If your playing the game right then master is all you need.
    • 1913 posts
    April 9, 2013 7:58 AM EDT
    For me not really, I go out and shoot bows at targets enough to know the when exactly the arrows will "drop"... So in a game, it is even easier :)
  • May 7, 2013 10:14 PM EDT
    So how difficult is no HUD on expert? There is no way I'm trying it on Master (or Legendary, but that's a rant for another time) but Adept is incredibly easy with the HUD so I'm thinking of trying the middle ground.
    • 291 posts
    May 7, 2013 11:25 PM EDT

Not too bad.  Magic is kinda hard when it comes to aiming, but archery isn't bad at all provided you start using visual cues to aim.  (When standing, aim with the tip of your arrow.  When sneaking, aim with the second knuckle of your left fist.)

• May 7, 2013 11:33 PM EDT
    I mostly play melee/spellswords so I should be fine with no crosshair. My main problem is gonna be the lack of health/magicka bars.
    • 291 posts
    May 8, 2013 12:09 AM EDT

Hmm.  True.  Missing the magicka bar isn't bad, but health can be a problem since the heartbeat doesn't trigger until you're almost dead.  This is incredibly dangerous at low levels, but if you're investing in a lot of health, it's a little more useful.

• May 8, 2013 12:28 AM EDT
    Yeah, so I'm debating whether to go Adept or Expert for this. I haven't decided on a character yet, but I'm gonna try to make them reasonably durable (they'll be more or less a test character, probably a Battlemage to purposely spread myself thin).
    • 708 posts
    May 8, 2013 12:42 AM EDT

Just start with adept, you can just change it up if you find the game too easy