Forums » General Gaming

Your favourite games of all time

• 22 posts
    December 30, 2011 2:22 PM EST

2011 is coming to an end and the game of the year awards are ( being ) awarded. However, instead of 'your' game of the year, what are your 10 favourite games of all time?
    Share your list with us and if you want, leave a discription why you enjoyed that specific game so much.

Anyway, here is my top 10:

10. Super Smash Bros. Melee 
    Me and my friends must have put countless hours into this game beating each other of the stage. The best of Nintendos' characters in een awesome fighting game.

9. Jak and Daxter The precursor legacy
    The original of a very good franchise. The beautifull levels, Dexters' great one liners and of course the great gameplay.

8. Assassins' Creed II
    Basicly everything that was wrong with Assassins' Creed 1, was fixed in this sequel. Historic characters, Ezio Auditores' quest to avenge his family as you see him grow from boy to man, the assassination improvements... Still missed the crossbow though. :P   

7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    I doubt this one needs any explanation on this site...

6. Pokémon Gold Version
    The best generation of Pokémon in both the new region Johto and the original map Kanto. With behind the adorable looks a very deep systeem of turn-based combat.

5. Minecraft
    I must have used hundreds of thousands of blocks building cities, castles, railroads, puzzles and many other things. Put it on survival and you got a very challenging and deep game. If you're going to try it for the first time, I recommand reading a guide or have a friend that plays it by your side, or you'll hear a Tssss... and find yourself back at the place where you began.

4. The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Suprisingly not the highest ending Zelda on this list, though many would disagree. But hey look, it is still one of the best 3D zeldas ever made. A good story, hard puzzles and intense boss fights. Listen, if you haven't played it yet go do so!

3. World of Warcraft
    The most succesfull mmo yet, and with good reason. An immersive world and great gameplay made this an awesome game. However, I think Blizzard messed up with Cataclysm causing me to cancel my subscription.

2. Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer
    My very first game, which is probably why it ended this high up in my list. The ambiance is just absolutely incredible... Or atleast it was at the time, I lost the cd so I can't replay it. :( 
    Nevertheless a great platformer with fun characters.

1. The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    My personal favourite game ever. A great story, - again in my opinion - the best looking Zelda, amazing dungeons, boss fights, puzzles, side quests and an absolutely epic final battle... I might revisit Hyrule after I'm through with this years holiday gifts and ofcourse Skyim.

Leave your lists, thoughts and comments below! :D

• December 30, 2011 4:49 PM EST

Great discussion topic! Hmmmmm....

I'd have to say these. (In no particular order.)

Skyrim - No need for explanation

The Knights of The Old Republic 1 & 2 - I really like these games, I've played them alot.

Mount & Blade: Warband - This is a truly great game. It never really seems to get boring or repetitive.

Dragon's Age: Origins - Really like Origins. Great RPG.

Oblivion - I played this before Morrowind on the xbox. I don't know how many hours I pumped into this game switching off with my brother.

Morrowind - I played this around 3-5 years after Oblivion. When I played this game on the computer I really realized how truly great these games are and made me really see the magic in these games.

Minecraft - I have played this game on and off for awhile now. Started around the end of the Alpha stage.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky - I got this free when I bought a video card. I remember when I got it me and my dad (My dad's a programmer/occasional gamer) thought it looked soooo good. Now it looks ok. Really liked this game, it was definately a fun blend of RPG/FPS which I'd never played that sort before.

Star Wars: Obi-Wan - The first xbox game I ever played. Kind of THE first game I'd ever played I think, don't remember any true games before that.

Halo: Combat Evolved - I really liked this game when I played it. But those damned hunters scared the crap out of me :P

There are probably others but I can't think of any of them. I just got Total War: Shogun 2 yesterday for 7.50 on steam, it was 75% on sale. Everyone who wants cheap games should check out their holiday daily sales, and this isn't from a helping steam standpoint. I mean this as in super fricking cheap games and if you wantem you should check out the sales before they're gone. I hope Shogun 2 is good, It got good reviews and I've watched some gameplay videos and it looks extremely fun, maybe after I play it I'll add it to this list!

• 32 posts
    December 30, 2011 5:15 PM EST

Not an easy list to compile.

10. Jade Cocoon

My friends and I put hundreds of hours trying to beat each other with the monsters we created

9. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

First Elder Scrolls game I ever played. I actually hated it the first time I played it until I got used to the system by playing Fallout 3. Still, I was blown away by the amount of freedom you have to do whatever you want.

8. Conflict: Global Storm

I must have completed this game about 20 times. On PS2, the Conflict series were about the only war games I played.

7. Tomb Raider 2

The game that introduced me to the Tomb Raider series. At the time I think I just liked that it was completely different from any other game I had played. Still play this one occasionaly today.

6. Final Fantasy VIII

This is the only Final Fantasy game on PS1 that I ever liked. At the time, it provided the most freedom I ever had playing a game. Must have put over a hundred hours into that one.

5. Resident Evil 4

A (relatively) modern day classic. I spend hours playing it on professional mode to get to a boss near the end of the game and completely run out of ammo. I was really impressed with the graphics at the time.

4. Hogs of War

I first played this game at a friends house and loved it. Both the single and multiplayer were brilliant and Rik Mayall was hilarious.

3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Despite the serious rendering problems, SA was a classic game. It had the most believable story of any GTA up to that point. Even today, no GTA game has reached the excellence of SA as many of the gameplay features were removed on future games.

2. Final Fantasy X

It was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played. After playing the demo, I was hooked. Most of the characters were excellent, if a bit whiny and the cut scene graphics were amazing. I still play this game frequently today.

1. Resident Evil

This was the first Game I ever played. I was about six years old and was myself every time I saw a zombie. The music, the limited ammo and the setting just made this game perfect for me. Must have had about four copies of this game through the years.

I'm probably going to change my mind in a few days but I think these are pretty much my top ten games.

• 5 posts
    December 30, 2011 5:59 PM EST

Nice choices, and here are mine (not in any particular order)

Skyrim

Oblivion

Morrowind

Fallout 3 and NV

World of Warcraft (even though I quit.)

GTA 4

Thief 

Minecraft

Terraria

Dwarf Fortress

and last but defiantly not least....

Dragon Age: Origins

• 4 posts
    December 30, 2011 6:33 PM EST

The First, and orginal. Unreal. Death on an unimaginable scale.

• 739 posts
    December 30, 2011 6:42 PM EST

Not going to contribute a top ten, just certain titles that have really stood out to me over the years:-

Morrowind: I can still play the elder scrolls 3 even 10 years after its release. It needs no explanation on this site.

The Legacy of Kain series: One of the best told stories in gaming, great voice acting, great gameplay, amazing deep characters and the conclusion when Razial made his sacrifice almost made me cry.

Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap: Played on the sega master system, the first RPG i ever played and i've never looked back. Holds a small 8bit place in my heart.

Diablo 1 & 2: Great no-frills storyline, great gameplay and incredibly addictive. Brilliant for role players and character builders alike.

Inner Space: A funny little 'alien invaders' style game for pc that has you go around shooting up your own computers file system and icons, featured teams and a nice little AI. Found myself strangely addicted to this one. The concept is actually brilliant.

Final Fantasy 7 - 8: Amazing graphics for its time, nice stories. Sunk 100's of hours into both titles.

Total Annhialation: Wish to god cavedog hadnt gone bust, I would probably still be playing skirmishes on this game today if they had gone on to make more titles.

Neverwinter Nights: Could never properly get into baldurs gate though i spent plenty of hours on icewind dale, neverwinter nights was great though. Loved playing a cleric and then cross classing him late in the game. One of the only rpg's that lets you dye your armor, bethesda take note.

• 1 posts
    December 30, 2011 6:43 PM EST

Here's mine.

1. Skyrim: I've put hundreds of hours into it already, and even though I'm burned out for the moment, I still feel urges to play it again and I'm sure that I will soon.

2. Fallout: New Vegas: I put hundreds of hours into it. Probably one of the most enjoyable games I've ever experienced. 

3. Fallout 3: This game was what got me into Bethesda games. It blew me away, and I think I have upwards of 400 hours on it.

4. Oblivon: Great game, although after playing Skyrim there's no way I could ever return to it, I still have my fond memories of my Oblivion days.

5. Assassin's Creed: Revelations: Currently playing it, but it's one of the best games I've ever played. Doing the main story is quite fun and interesting, but I gain just as much enjoyment just from stalking groups of guards and picking them off one by one.

6. Battlefield 3: Just completed the main campaign a few days ago, and all I can say is wow. The realism blew me away, and the game was enormously fun to play.

7. Crackdown 2: I gathered many hours playing this game, and even more once I downloaded Keys to the City. Great game, eagerly awaiting Crackdown 3. 

I can't think of any more off the top of my head that really wowed me, so I'm only going to write these ones down.

• 739 posts
    December 30, 2011 6:48 PM EST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682kuejphjo

Oh my god! Then you have to watch this!!!!!

• 297 posts
    December 30, 2011 6:52 PM EST
    Ya i played legacy of cain soul reaver it was amazing
    • 773 posts
    December 30, 2011 7:04 PM EST

I'm not going to make a top 10, but I will say that my favourite game of all time is Morrowind.

When I first started playing Morrowind it totally blew me away, and its a still an amazing game almost ten years later (at least with mods). I honestly don't think any game before, since - or in the future - could beat that first 6-9 months after I got my hands on that game!

Honourable mentions to:

Planescape Torment - a totally unique RPG experience

Baldurs Gate - still the best D&D style RPG

Final Fantasy VII - probably the only game ever to move me emotionally with its story

Age of Empires - the original and still one of the best RTS games

And of course Oblivion and Skyrim (but then you probably knew that...)

• 739 posts
    December 30, 2011 7:17 PM EST

"I honestly don't think any game before, since - or in the future - could beat that first 6-9 months after I got my hands on that game!"

Agreed, i think even Bethesda would have a hard time replicating that game for a 2012 audience.

• 739 posts
    December 30, 2011 7:21 PM EST

Awww god, i forgot Metal Gear Solid 3!! That was a GAME!!!!

• December 30, 2011 7:35 PM EST

1. Final Fantasy tactics - It took a bit to get into, but then I found the euphoria of playing it. 

2. Elder Scrolls (all of them)

3. Warcraft 3 (TFT) - I loved this RTS more then any other game. the races were all balanced (as much as can be expected) they played differently, but what set it apart from other RTS's were the heros. Marching into battle with your 3 heros (you can pick nuetral ones as well) and have them as super units. ok just about everything about this game.

4. Final Fantasy 8 - the best FF game (imo) everything I could want, plenty of easter eggs, hidden spells and valuables. 

5. CoD/MW - you can laugh at the closed minded fans, but it does what it is suppose to and does it well. very well indeed

6.Soul Calibur - The best tactical fighting game. the moves are crisp, and fast, but slow enough to counter combo moves and makes the game against your opponent and not their character.  (throws>blocks>hits>throws) It becomes just mind games in the end, instead of spammable button mashing.

7.Diablo 2 - the item searching character grinding fast paced pvp and difficult pve. all great for a dungeon crawler item grinder.

8. LEGENDS OF LEGAIA - PS1 game It was the best rpg I have ever played! period.  It has Elements from  every good rpg even before those good rpgs came out.  you typed in moves (up down right left) as attacks in the turn based rpg. you might get lucky and learn an attack and then can combine it with other learned attacks (>,>,< 1 attack  >,<,<,^ attack 2 = combined >,>,<,<,^ for 2 super attacks and maybe a right punch at the beginning) You absorbed monsters to use them as awesome summons. (and they leveled up) there are great easter eggs and hidden powers. The Story is one of the best I have had the pleasure of playing through.

9. Armored Core: fast paced mech combat with extreme customization. arms, weapons, legs, core, head, boosters, generators, stabalizerz, paint job fucking everything! your particular mech you will never see someone using it.  It is like building your own gundam and destroying things.

10. Super smash bros.

The list isn't in order, but i put enphasis on games people need to play *cough* legends of legaia *cough*

• 10 posts
    December 30, 2011 7:48 PM EST

10. Grand Theft Auto 3 - GTA 3 set the standard for open world sandbox games.

9. Call of Duty 4 - Although i think CoD is dying, Modern Warfare was a perfect game best CoD ever

8. Oblivion - No explanation

7. Halo - Without Halo i sometimes wonder where games would be today

6. Red Dead Redemption - The only game to ever make me cry, I will never forget the ending or John Marston

5. Morrowind - It's Morrowind!

4. Fallout 3 - Never got boring

3. Skyrim - Still playing it and still finding new things :)

2. Grand Theft Auto 4 - Great story, Niko was a great character it was emotionally gripping and Rockstar did a great job with the DLC

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - The definition of a sandbox game just pure fun, i recently started playing it again and forgot how AMAZING it was, the soundtrack was perfect (classic Hip-Hop & classic Rock FTW) Customizing took up hours of my time, the way the story progressed was genius not to mention it was hilarious and San Andreas is humongous.