Forums » General Gaming

Do you have problems with Skyrim?

• 4 posts
    March 6, 2013 1:09 AM EST

I would like to ask you all how often do you have problems like crash to desktop, missing textures and so on in Skyrim?

I have played Skyrim for little over year now and my steam gameplay hours are little over 300 hours. Also played quite a bit offline. In my time with Skyrim it is quite common that after playing new game (fresh start), there is a point, when  I start to get different problems. Crash to Desktop is is common problem and it appeare random places. I've also faced missing textures sometimes, but my quess is that it is a hardware problem.

I like to use mods when I play. It is also quite common that I add and remove them quite often. Usually at some point I have to make clear save to get rid of CTD-problem, which goes away for while and appear again at some point. This makes me think that the CTD-problem may be a cause of mods and that the saves gradually corrupt.

Earlier I also had problem of disappearing textures but as I said earlier my quess is that it was a hardware problem. It doesn't appear after I bought new graphic card.

Tell me about stability of your Skyrim experience and what kind of problems have you had on your path

• 708 posts
    March 6, 2013 1:12 AM EST

I used to have quite a few CTDs but I started using the Skyrim Crash Prevention mod, it works fine now!

• 952 posts
    March 6, 2013 1:32 AM EST
    Missing textures are due to bad installations and uninstallations of mods. CTD happens even without mods but when you use a whole bunch of mods at the same time chances are that there will be more CTD's.

So yes, I've had quite a few crashes so far.
    • 9 posts
    March 6, 2013 1:33 AM EST

I don't know if this helps since I use console, but a lot of time the bump map or displacement map of an object or surface doesn't load, so I come across ground or rocks that are flat cubes and planes. One time the skybox itself didn't load. My game does seem to randomly crash sometimes and always when trying to save or autosave during the vermina quest. Had to reinstall hearthfire when all the children started walking around naked. Patches of water sometimes fail to load too. The worst one was when the ground in whiterun didn't load and all the NPCs fell into the void. Floating mamonths :)

• 661 posts
    March 6, 2013 1:37 AM EST

Anyone notice he says Quess not Guess. Hmm. I would never know about mod corrupting data. But I have had a multitude of problems when playing Skyrim. A lot crashing, and a lot of missing texture, hell the dragons sometimes look like flying salamanders when they are not rendering.

• 952 posts
    March 6, 2013 6:25 AM EST
    Lol, when dragons don't render you don't see them in the first place.
    • 4 posts
    March 6, 2013 7:11 AM EST

Sounds good, Ponty. Do you mean "Skyrim performance and crash prevention Tutorial Information" by draco1122?

• 708 posts
    March 6, 2013 7:38 AM EST

It was a mod on the Workshop, seems the author removed it for some reason - I've still got my .esp though and I barely ever have issues (usually only if I alt-tab a dozen or so times in 1 session)

• 4 posts
    March 7, 2013 3:44 AM EST

Well ok, I play PC... Hope this was the right place to put this discussion.. Anyway, I got something similar at one point when I lost control over the character and tried desperately find the solution for it. In random places my character started playing by itself and I couldnt do anything. Finally I found I was accidentally recorded macros (silly me)  and they started to function random. I removed the macros and haven't get the problems since.

• 88 posts
    March 7, 2013 7:30 AM EST

I use approximately 100 mods and my Skyrim is very stable, I rarely get CTD and I've only once experienced a corrupted save file (due to uninstalling a lot of mods). 

The unofficial skyrim patches should allegedly decrease the chance of CTD, but I don't use them.

All I can say is, make sure you installed your mods correctly and your load order is correct (BOSS can help with this, although I don't use that either). Make sure you don't have any compatability issues when using multiple mods.

• 1 posts
    March 7, 2013 8:10 PM EST

Well...

I sadly did not have the hardware to purchase the Skyrim PC version. As you can imagine, the PS3's version of Skyrim has the most oppressive memory of the three, and so receives many significant problems related to it and it's hardware.

Here's a small list I pulled together of common problems I come across:

• Freezes during random periods of combat/exploration
    • When going into a loading screen while walking into a building or fast traveling, it never ends
    • Armor textures feel like going old school and deteriorate to N-64 quality when in inventory view (momentarily)
    • etc.

Obviously, I can't use mods, being I am a console user for Skyrim. Mods for anything have always caused breaks in the game, just look at Minecraft!