Forums » Elder Scrolls

Which do you find more satisfying: Bow or crossbow

• 34 posts
    February 27, 2013 3:57 AM EST

I can't decide, I love the twang of the crossbow and that it doesn't take much room on your back, I also like how it's more of a 'sophisticated' weapon, but the bow feels to me like I have earned the kill. What are your thoughts?

• February 27, 2013 5:32 AM EST

Crossbows are still used nowadays for hunting and in the military (they have crossbows that fire explosives), you can even find sniper crossbows actually. They're very silent weapons. Just not very common.

• 40 posts
    February 27, 2013 4:32 PM EST

I am partial to a regular bow but the crossbow is easier to use. But the regular bow just seems more like an archer weapon to me. Whereas the crossbow seems more like a fighter weapon.

• 365 posts
    February 27, 2013 4:35 PM EST

I am currently making and testing a build using either a bow or corssbow so I'd thought I'd weigh in here and say it's relevant that I want to know what appeals to you guys more aswell.

• 271 posts
    February 27, 2013 5:29 PM EST
    I actually like the bows more... I just like the ancient simple-ish style of it!
    • 409 posts
    February 27, 2013 5:41 PM EST
    I love the crossbow! Dont get me wrong the bow is great too but with a crossbow I feel like more of a BA. Also I find them more fun to use than bows in skyrim especially when you have an enhanced dwarven crossbow with exploding bolts and is enchanted with 2 other echantments or laced with poison... just so satisfying.
    • 9 posts
    February 27, 2013 6:05 PM EST

Initially the slow reload rate put me off of the crossbow but when I decided to build a character around it, I fell in love with the power of it. then after the power shot and quick shot perks were added, it was just beautiful. I've been a stealth archer many times and now its hard for me to imagine using a bow again. never again will I have to worry about being ambushed while sneaking.

• 40 posts
    February 27, 2013 8:19 PM EST
    Ii think the crossbow is awesome...but Im more of a bow man myself.
    • 34 posts
    February 28, 2013 2:47 AM EST

I just wish there were more types of crossbows in Skyrim. Would love an ebony crossbow just for aesthetics (although I understand that the Dwemer are the science guys).

• February 28, 2013 3:23 AM EST

Bows in Skyrim have barely any projectile arc anyway, you can mostly shoot straightforward and it will hit regardless.

• 37 posts
    March 16, 2013 4:41 PM EDT

I've been using both while trying out No Snakes Alive's Demonhunter. I use the crossbow for long shots, dragons and strafing archers. The bows i use for rushing enemies such as wolves, spiders, and warrior types. With that strategy I'm nearly unstoppable (mages are still a pain) 

• 7 posts
    March 16, 2013 6:14 PM EDT

i was so excited to get crossbows i waited unpatiently till dawnguards release and all summer every archer build, which was most went for a crossbow as soon as able. i love it....but with the fantasy setting/lore and idk the bow just feels more in tune with the game

• 88 posts
    March 16, 2013 6:54 PM EDT

I like being a BA with a crossbow. Them exploding bolts are just awesome. But I prefer the bow, with proper techniques it's possible to shoot 11 arrows into the air before the first one hits the ground, and this can be done with great precision while moving against moving targets. I realise this isn't the case in Skyrim, in which case I'll take my explosive bolts.

• 360 posts
    March 16, 2013 7:52 PM EDT
    i have a book that would argue with what you just said, the archer by bernard cornwell, the crossbow had batter range(about 50 meters or so) but "the buggers take so long to reload that at the meantime an archer could cover the distance and fire 12 arrows"-will skeat. Of course in skyrim that is no problem since the dovakin(even if he is a anorexic female bosmer, sry if you are offended couldnt think of a smaller body type) can not only reload the crossbow with the mecanism described in the book as the second most dificult one to pull back(first being pulling the string manually), as she can also decapitate someone in one fell strike of a dull iron dagger(seems to have as much body strenght as isaac clarke lol).

In skyrim i like the bow for its dps but i cant argue that the crossbow has an exelent stagger.

Also you look like total biscuit, just saying
  • TZ
    • 28 posts
    March 16, 2013 8:55 PM EDT

I find it to be situational, using bows in Skyrim allows for much quicker reloads so when facing a group of enemies I think the bow shines here, especially when perks are taken to increase the reload speed and you have Zephyr.

But when versing one or two opponent(s) the crossbow is just so brutal, especially up close just as much as at a distance. Using it from stealth just packs such a fierce multiplier of damage and having it ready-loaded lets you get that snap decision shot.

So you can move more freely in stealth, using silent rolls before you take a crossbow shot, where as a drawn bow doesn't let you silent roll.

• 7 posts
    March 16, 2013 11:08 PM EDT

i do have to point out one matter that hasnt been touched on i believe, load vs. reload, meaning to fire bow, u must draw bow, nock arrow, aim fire...with crossbow, draw, aim, fire... as far as first strike the crossbow has  it and against surprise or fast moving enemies that can b the difference

• 14 posts
    March 17, 2013 7:31 AM EDT

Why choose a favorite weapon when you can have the best of two worlds?

I find it myself that even for roleplaying/realistic playing, it's possible to carry a bow and a crossbow.

Bow is best for spamming arrows, fast attacking, and to kill groups. Crossbow is best for armored enemies, barbarian-like enemies (You know, the ones with light armor and two-handed weapons who sprint towards you) and sneak shots.

• 253 posts
    March 17, 2013 7:37 AM EDT

I like using both. But honestly, I sort of hate crossbows. Do not get me wrong, they are nice and powerful, but I feel so awkward with them. One of the biggest things is the movement speed. When you have a crossbow in your hands, not even aiming or anything, you are very slow. With a bow you are completely mobile between shots. Another thing I dislike is their velocity. I find it hard to hit moving targets with crossbows even though the bolts go faster. Crossbows have their place, but I would always pick a bow over a crossbow. 

• March 17, 2013 8:25 AM EDT

I love the crossbow for a couple of minor reason, and one large one. I like how the bolts are less obtrusive and look attractive on a character's hip, I like how you can get exploding bolts, and how you don't have to be a smithing genius to be able to make the best kind of crossbow (unlike bows).

My favorite quality of the crossbow is that they are automatically loaded before firing. This makes them invaluable holdout weapons, useful to get a nice stagger hit against an enemy at mid-range, or to suddenly take down a fleeing enemy at long range. The bow takes longer to shoot since the arrow has to be drawn, and those valuable seconds can make the difference between fighting one enemy or fighting all of his friends in the rest of the dungeon that he just decided to wake up.