Forums » Elder Scrolls

Bad main quest

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 2:33 AM EST

Is it me or is the main quest of skyrim not really relevant to dragons, you don't even save a village from dragons or anything. All you do is go to a dwemer ruin and kill a dragon ONCE.

What do you think, do you agree?

How could they improve the story to make it more dragon-y?

• 426 posts
    February 24, 2013 2:47 AM EST

I dunno you do save whiterun west tower from a dragon. The leader of the greybeards is a dragon. You have to capture a dragon and ride it to get to the final battle and kill dragons all along the way. I know what mean as there isnt any specific quests that task you to go protect x village and defeat an attacking dragon but the story itself is very dragon heavy.

• 1913 posts
    February 24, 2013 2:55 AM EST
    You save Kynesgrove from a dragon being resurrected, yeah... Don't save any villages form a dragon at all...
    • 158 posts
    February 24, 2013 3:18 AM EST

Not much emphasis was put on "saving kynesgrove" when the dragon was raised to really be counted. It was more of a demonstration of power by you, and a demonstration of the severity of the situation; Dragons coming back to life.

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 3:21 AM EST

its just you don't have to go to a dragon lair and kill the leadre to find out info on how to kill alduin

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 3:22 AM EST

that would be cooler than going to a dwemer ruin

• 426 posts
    February 24, 2013 6:49 AM EST

YEah but you save them from the dragon 

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 7:04 AM EST

yeh, but that isn't the same as a whole village running for their life while u kill the terrorising dragons

it would be cool if before u kill alduin u protect a capital from his wraith.

• 426 posts
    February 24, 2013 7:08 AM EST

I have had a number of encounters in places like Morthal and Dawnstar even winterhold were a dragon has attacked the village landing on the buildings and killing masses. Surely that makes up for it?? 

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 7:13 AM EST

no, an actual coded attack would be cooler as a mission

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 7:23 AM EST

yeh but they don't react well, and its not alduin

• 661 posts
    February 24, 2013 11:13 AM EST

You fight a dragon protecting the elder scroll. Collecting thu'ums is a major part of the main quest. I'm inclined to believe so.

• 4 posts
    February 24, 2013 11:47 AM EST
    I think the story itself is perfectly fine by my standards.
    • 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 6:42 PM EST

it only comes if you make it come

• 153 posts
    February 24, 2013 6:44 PM EST

like the main quest is rather dragon-y but it some parts could of been replaced with something like saving a MAIN city from a dragon attack

• 118 posts
    February 24, 2013 8:44 PM EST
    I always felt that having everyone and their dog (sometimes literally) attack any dragon takes away the feeling of being a hero. Maybe if everyone crapped their pants and ran away screaming leaving you to fight the evil dragon the main story line would feel more epic but as it is whenever a dragon fight occurs even the unarmed hobo in rags will run into the fight and try to punch the dragon in the nuts.

They really could have made the main quest a lot more epic. The Helgen attack would have been better as a scripted fight during the main quest, you fight off Alduin but the town is completely destroyed. Would have added a lot more drama than fighting unlimited numbers of random dragons out in the middle of nowhere.
    • 11 posts
    February 25, 2013 12:10 AM EST

It has been a long while since I last played through the main quest, but if memory serves me right, isn't there a mission in which you save Rorikstead from a dragon? Even so, they could have added in a bit more destruction on the Dragons behalf... Im thinking burning houses and more innocent villagers being swung through the air from the jaws of a dragon.

They just needed to show more evidence of the destruction that the dragons could have reaped upon Nord villages and also how much of an advantage they had over those people who were unable to harness the power of the Thu'um. I don't know if it was just me, or the fact that there was a civil war going on, but it just seemed as though a lot of the holds were remarkably well prepared for dragon attacks considering the fact that until Helgen was destroyed, most tales involving dragons had dissolved into myth and legend.

• 153 posts
    February 25, 2013 2:42 AM EST

That is what I'm talking about

• 153 posts
    February 25, 2013 2:46 AM EST

The town u thinking about is kynesgrove and even then u just protect it from a dragon on a nearby hill. the people don't even react that well, they seem to just say stuff not flee or anything

• 11 posts
    February 25, 2013 3:00 AM EST

Kynsgrove happens first while you are proving your worth to Delphine. later on though If you choose to accompany Esbern and Delphine to Sky Haven temple  you will witness another dragon resurrection outside Rorikstead. That's the attack I mean, and even then your right in saying that all that occurs is a few townsfolk run about.

• 153 posts
    February 25, 2013 3:07 AM EST

yeh, thats right, I thought that was what u meant 

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    February 26, 2013 3:11 PM EST

Wait, hang on, are you talking about the Dragonborn DLC main quest or the Skyrim main quest... Because if you're talking about the Skyrim main quest you have a major counting problem, there are several dragons that you fight and they randomly show up throughout the entire game. This is one of the most dragon-y games I've ever played, to say it's not dragon-y enough is craziness to me. If anything there are too many dragons! I have the experience of walking through town, trying to get stuff done when a dragon shows up and keeps me busy for 15 minutes flying around

You describe a Dwemer ruin and a single dragon fight, that sounds more like the Dragonborn DLC storyline to me, not the Skyrim storyline. If that's what you're saying then we still have a counting problem because there are 3 dragons present at the final battle... I guess I just don't see your point no matter how I look at it.

• 26 posts
    February 26, 2013 4:29 PM EST

I don't feel like it is The Main Quest.  You do have to kill dragons and the dragon shouts are very handy things to have.  You can actually avoid doing the Dragonborn Quests by not helping at the Whiterun West Tower.  I think that actually seeing a village destroyed and people dying would make the quest seem more important.  I don't even find the antagonist that interesting.

In fact you do not have to kill dragons or even participate in the fight.  If there are guards and even other NPCs around they can kill the dragon without your help and all you have to do is walk up to it in order to take the soul.  I play being the Dragonborn as a joke "What who me?  forget it."

• February 26, 2013 5:02 PM EST

I have to agree with this, If a dragon attacked my town I wouldn't be like "one sec mate, I'll train you in smithing later, just gotta go kill this blood dragon, no biggie" I'd be running and screaming like a girl.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    February 26, 2013 5:38 PM EST

"I think that actually seeing a village destroyed and people dying would make the quest seem more important"

....this happens in the first scene of the game