Forums » General Gaming

What would you name a character of a race you don't usually play

• February 16, 2013 7:22 AM EST
    I love playing Skyrim, got many characters, and love to play them all.

Some times I feel like exploring a new race but always get back to the same.

Recently tried one of the beast races(which I avoid), made a Khajiit and went for the Ka'Po Tun build but got stuck trying to name him something fitting and/or cool.

Then I went to look for lore names and in-game names and found some name parts that describe them. I liked "M'" which meant apprentice(was trying a new build) but then I got it!

Named him: M'Fasa

Yeah "Lion King" but it's kinda cool and "lore-friendly"

Got names like that? Share them and please add race. You can explain your reasons too.
    • 34 posts
    February 16, 2013 7:34 AM EST
    I never reference names to my characters. I'd much rather get to playing than to sink thought into a name noone sees but yourself. I use funny and known lore names like Stinkfist, Eowyn, O-Ren Ishi, Shouts-Many-Dragons, Ran, Miso Horny...
    • 952 posts
    February 16, 2013 7:36 AM EST

Name: Zuub The Argonian executioner-knight.

Fate: Saves got accidentally deleted.

• February 16, 2013 7:37 AM EST
    lol at the last one!
    I just try something funny but not boring, like when I named a character "you" and every letter said "deliver this to you" or "dear you"
  • February 16, 2013 7:38 AM EST
    When I played Oblivion I made an Argonian with a big head and named him "Tee Rexx"
    • 34 posts
    February 16, 2013 7:42 AM EST
    Miso Horny is my first character, Breton. She looks Asian too. <--yes it's possible. I always liked the name Valouria, good Imperial name.
    • 952 posts
    February 16, 2013 7:43 AM EST

In Oblivion I made a hand to hand/destruction Altmer with a huge head with all sliders to the right, and pink hair. He also used the birthsign that gave you a huge weakness to magic. He was so weak and ugly it was hilarious. I don't remember his name though.

• February 16, 2013 7:48 AM EST
    Mrrrglllrrarrrrg?
    • 952 posts
    February 16, 2013 7:50 AM EST

No, ugly was in the name but I don't remember it entirely.

• February 16, 2013 7:55 AM EST
    I recently put oblivion on to see my old characters... Not gonna take it back out from the box, those things were scary... A green Dark Elf focused on archery and destruction called Flameslinger
    • 47 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:36 AM EST

Dull old soul that I am, I take a literal approach to these things. Both of the two characters I've played have been Bretons, so I used t'internet to look up actual real-world Breton names. (I know Bretons from High Rock are not the same people as Bretons from northwest France, but...shut up. I'm doing my best.) A spot of googling rapidly found me a list of known Breton names from the mediaeval period, which seemed just about right; then it's just a matter of choosing. I expect you could do the same for Nords to find lists of Scandinavian or Germanic names, and I'm absolutely certain you could do it for Imperials with Roman names. Cats, elves, and scalies, not so much.

• 1913 posts
    February 17, 2013 10:20 AM EST
    I try to come up with lore friendly names... And when I can't think of any, I look at LotR names
    • 773 posts
    February 17, 2013 10:31 AM EST
    • 3 posts
    February 17, 2013 10:46 AM EST

I usually name people after whatever pops into my head. The Dockworker, for instance, is named "Dockworker" (doy). My Khajit is named "Woodshop", my Bosmer is named "Hulagirl"...yeah.

• 360 posts
    April 19, 2013 8:35 AM EDT
    I would name a mute argonian Teep. Sounds nice, he would also be a master marksman, not only with a bow but also with a sniper rifle
  • April 19, 2013 10:49 AM EDT

For me, it would depend on the build itself over the Race, or the fact that you don't play them often.  Also, I differentiate between the Character Name ("M'fasa" in your example) and the Build name, like The ka'Po Tun Warrior, Tiger Warrior, or whatever.

• April 19, 2013 12:20 PM EDT
    I meant by this that some races aren't played that much by some people, like myself. I usually don't play beast races because I'm not sure how to implement their racial powers or stats into my play style.

I tried a different race and decided Khajiit for that day. Went and created him and when choosing the name looked up lore names. M' means apprentice and since it was my 1st time as a "Ka'Po Tun" I felt it was fitting (being apprentice to the better Warriors).

And since there's a lion named Mufassa I thought it sounded cool and went for it.

Thanks for the reply!
    • 7 posts
    May 15, 2013 7:32 PM EDT
    Whenever I name a character it usually takes me 20 minutes to just read through a race's naming conventions, and then I end up thinking of a name on my own which just means I wasted twenty minutes.
    • 17 posts
    May 16, 2013 3:05 PM EDT

I never think much about naming my characters, I just think of random name, chop it, rotate, turn, push and voilà! I am good to go. I never really care about being lore friendly, because usually I am an outsider, so it's cool.

• May 16, 2013 4:25 PM EDT

I have never played a Khajiit or an Argonian character.  I would probably name the Khajiit: Meows When Wet or Licks Own Fur.  For the Argonian: Tough-As-Shoe-Leather or Basks-In-Dragonfire.

Most of my characters have names like Fus Do Magoo, Super Douche, Turdly Fergusen, or my current Shadow Swordsman (inspired by Henson's Hashashin) character is named Slasher McSplatter.  I don't see much in a name since your character never talks and never introduces him/herself to any NPC.  I love to RP my characters, but names mean nothing to me for a personality in my own mind anyway.  Might as well make myself laugh when I see the name in the skills menu.

• 40 posts
    May 16, 2013 7:48 PM EDT

I named my Argonian Lizzy ...I know real original LOL. I had another Argonian I named Zatara.

Other characters: Orc- Malaki, Dunmer Vampire Elisse, Arielle was a High Elf, Morwen and Kelwen were Wood Elves, Ripley was a Khajiit (Manticore build), Morgana was a frost knight, Maladrae was a dark elf. Anyway, just some examples of names I have used.

• 9 posts
    May 18, 2013 3:42 PM EDT
    Argonion. :3 Diabeetus
  • June 1, 2013 1:48 PM EDT

I have never had lore friendly names and my characters just have some random names.

For an example my Altmer mage is called Gandalf. (I am the most original person ever. 

My Orc warrior was named Gug The Crusher. (Accidently deleted save file. R.I.P. Gug.)

And my Bosmer archers name is Little Elf. (Just because.)