Forums » Elder Scrolls

Help needed to get Skyrim running.

• 77 posts
    December 26, 2011 7:39 PM EST

I'm currently unable to reach my awesome computer, but decided to try Skyrim on my single core machine. I have installed it, and when I first started it I got to the main menu where all the options (Continue, Load, and so on) are. The smoke was coming from the bottom of the screen and so forth. Then I remembered I wanted my saves, so I exited the game, put my save in the folder, then went back in. Now the menu won't show up, I only have the Imperial emblem on a black background, no smoke. I can't even alt+f4 or ctrl+alt+delete out of it. I've tried to take the save out, delete the two .ini's in the folder. But I can't think of anything. It's wierd that I got it to start up once but not again :/ Any help?

• 773 posts
    December 27, 2011 4:03 AM EST

Hmmm. It sounds like you did what I'd have suggested i.e delete the .ini

I've not poked around in the Skyrim folders yet, since I haven't yet started on mods, but is it worth doing a search to see if you need to delete any more .ini files? A quick wildcard search on *.ini will show what you have on your machine. If I remember correctly, the one that always needed deleting in Oblivion was in the 'My Games' folder, not in the Oblivion folder.

Sorry not to be more helpful....

• 77 posts
    December 27, 2011 9:15 AM EST

I managed to get it running believe it or not, and now I can play :D However the framerate could be better, low graphics I can live with, low fps is something that I need to fix. So any tips on how to increase it?

• 739 posts
    December 27, 2011 12:07 PM EST

Just the usual stuff, drop down the resulution to lowest possible setting, turning off shadows and reducing draw distance will always make a big difference.

• 26 posts
    December 27, 2011 1:09 PM EST

Turning off music can help with FPS, at least it did in Oblivion.  You have to go into the config file to turn it off.  Just lowering it I understand doesn't help.  It is a shame to turn off the music as it is so great.  Check the WIKI to see if there are any hints for lower end computers.  I can play Skyrim on my laptop with poor graphics and sound but it will play with out problems.