Forums » Elder Scrolls

(PC) Skyrim almost unplayable after patch 1.8

• 56 posts
    February 13, 2013 10:54 AM EST

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem: you draw your weapon in the third-person-view and it seems like the animation stucks. When finally after some attempts the weapon is drawn, when you strike you hear the sound but the animation is not played or stucks again. It makes it really difficult to I have Dragonborn and Dawnguard along with a lot of mods (female walk animations,weapons,armors,...) and before dragonborn this problem occured already but with a workaround(replace some files with files from patch 1.7) it was being solved but this time it doesn't. I removed temporarily the walk animations but the problem still occurs. Must be a bug then.

• 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:00 AM EST
    Maybe... Oh... I don't know... PLAY IN FIRST PERSON. If it is such a problem, why do you continue to play in third person, and if the problem was in first person, then play in third. And if the problem is in both,then I have no idea what is wrong with your game cause it has never happened to me, before or after Dragonborn
    • 88 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:01 AM EST

Try a clean install and a fresh save to see if the problem still persists.

• 952 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:03 AM EST

Delete that skanky female animations mod and any other mods like that and verify the integrity of your game files.

• 56 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:05 AM EST

I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem, cause before Dragonborn it was an issue a lot of people had. And who wants to play with a bugged game. I switch often to 3rd person view to get better sight of the field...

• 56 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:06 AM EST

That's a radical method, isn't it? But if all else fails, I will keep it in mind.

• 56 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:11 AM EST

Like I said, I already removed every additional animation, but nothing changed. The issue remained.

• 88 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:13 AM EST

It's the simplest way to figure out if it's the game files or your mods. You have to be sure to remove everything from the mod, which is sometimes hard to do.

It doesn't take long, just remember to back up your save files.

• 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:14 AM EST
    Then why move if you just want to get a better view of the field? Just stand still,move camera, go back to regular camera, play game again
    • 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:16 AM EST
    Delete every mod that you have installed... Every mod, that way you can start to cross off what you can download, and what you can't.
    • 56 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:18 AM EST

Ok, I will try it.

• 952 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:19 AM EST
    Reverify integrity of game files. Although this is probarly just poor coding from Bethesda who seem to use monkey's and cleaning lady's for that part of development.
    • 56 posts
    February 13, 2013 11:41 AM EST

Ok, while reinstalling skyrim on a different partition, I looked again for that workaround by manually replacing files from Patch 1.8 with files from Patch 1.7, and this time it worked! I don't know why it didn't worked the first time, but everything seems fine now and I can keep the mods. And it looks like it is bad coding from Bethesda's side in Patch 1.8... Anyway thanks for the help and advises  

• 377 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:29 PM EST

Who plays in third person???!

• 133 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:30 PM EST

I do...

• 377 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:33 PM EST

o_O  Do you wear beer goggles in real life?

• 952 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:34 PM EST

Because it's only a mediocre Xbox port. And the fact that your games become extremely laggy when like 10 people are near and fighting even though every single other game can have way more action on screen without any problems.

• 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:35 PM EST
    Because it makes to much sense
  • February 13, 2013 5:40 PM EST
    Depends what playstyle. For a two hander I do; I don't for a Mage, archer, or sword & board.
    • 291 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:49 PM EST

Because after almost every major update, something in the game's code changes to the point where a mod that was working perfectly fine prior to the patch is now unplayable.

This happens across the board, not just with terrible mod writers.  There are some really ingenious people out there and they tend to get more respect from the community over the developer because:

1. They're approachable
    2. They go over every reported problem and eventually fix it, if not, they inform users of what is now a "known issue".
    3. They know the game code as well as any developer might.  Some might be programmers outside of modding.

So, usually, when something goes wrong after an update with very well-working mods from highly respected authors that spent hundreds of hours testing, correcting, and optimizing their scripts, the blame is usually placed on Bethesda.  It was working before, and now it's not.  Someone screwed something up in the patch.

• 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:58 PM EST
    Why not just not mod, or look for another mod that works?
    • 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:58 PM EST
    I know, bad grammar
    • 952 posts
    February 13, 2013 5:59 PM EST

Because mods can expand your game endlessly for free. And script dependant mods always won't work for about 2 days after an update since that's about the amount of time it takes to get everything updated, script dependant mods are the best ones.

• 291 posts
    February 13, 2013 6:01 PM EST

But that's the problem!  After patches like this, most of them do not work.  Usually there's a 2 day to 2 week turn around for all mods to get updated by their authors.

As for why not use no mods at all...  That would be a matter of preference.  But I suppose using mods is like being addicted to something.  Once you've seen the world changed, that's it, there's not really any going back.  You can't unsee or unknow it.

• 1913 posts
    February 13, 2013 6:05 PM EST
    I just don't like add-ons.i don't really like playing them, I prefer vanilla skyrim (yeah, I prefer skyrim without Dragonborn, or dawnguard). I prefer to play the original game how it was intended, when I see people mod the game so much (not counting graphics mods or realism mods) it makes me feel as if the people that mod the game just don't like the game and have to change the game themselves in order to have fun, and that's sad, a game should already be fun.