Forums » General Gaming

Let's Talk: Far Cry 3

• 342 posts
    February 3, 2013 10:19 AM EST

Welcome to the Jungle

When you, your two brothers and your friends set off on your holiday adventure you never thought it would end up like this. One minute you are skydiving, the next you are waking up in a cage, your hands bound and your friends are gone and only your brother Grant remains. Then your day gets worse as you meet your captor Vaas a violent and crazy man who informs you that you will be ransomed back to your parents.

Shortly after the crazy man leaves, Grant breaks his restraints and then with your help kills the guard and breaks you out of the cage. You follow your brother through the camp but just when you might be in the clear, you are found and Grant is shot dead. Vaas gives you 30 seconds to run, better get moving the clock is ticking…

Way of the Warrior

Your skill sets are divided into three categories The Heron, The Shark and The Spider which are coolly displayed as a Tattoo (called a Tatau) on your left arm that gets filled in the more skills you add.

(Click to enlarge)

Heron – these perks focus on your long ranged takedowns and mobility. The ability to shoot more accurately take down your enemies from above and shoot while using a zipline are just some of the skills you can learn.

Shark – these perks focus on your own health and the more brutal takedowns. Having more health slots and regaining that health more quickly. Being more resistant to certain type of damage and having the ability to pull the pin on one of the enemies’ grenades and watch as he blows himself up can all be found here.

Spider – these perks focus on the stealthier aspects of the game and the general idea of keeping you alive longer. Being able to reload while running, moving quieter and more quickly while moving and getting more money from bodies and sales are covered under this sign.

Guerrilla warfare at its finest

There is no right or wrong way to fight in Far Cry 3 basically if you come out of the fight alive and your enemies don’t, consider that a victory. There will however be a few times where you have to fight a certain sort way but the rest is up to you.

A bunch of guys are lurking in the shrub and you can’t find them? Throw in a Molotov and burn the whole bush down. Need that guard out of the way without alerting anyone? Throw a rock and lure him out. Driving along and spot enemies on the road? 30 points if you run them over 50 if they hit the windshield.

Outposts – Spread out all over Rook Island there are Pirate Outposts, you need to take out everyone in the camp to turn it over to Rakyat control. The more Outposts you take back the fewer Pirates you will encounter in that area you will also gain a fast travel location and a Safe House where you can stock up on your weapons. Opening up these places will also gain access to side activities like Hunting and Wanted posters.

Radio Towers – The Pirates are using the Radio Towers to jam the signals from the island. Taking these out will help the trade supplies coming into the island and the shopkeepers in turn will make some of their weapons available to you for free.

You call that a gun? This is a gun!

There is a whole array of weaponry goodness to choose from, from your standard 1911 handgun to the awesome M-700 Sniper rifle, even a flare gun is available. Feeling adventurous? Why not equip yourself with one of the RPG’s it might be akin to using a shovel when a spoon would do but it sure is fun!.

The better the weapon the more attachments you can buy and use on it. Night sights, Red dot, Silencers… you can also give the weapon a customized paint job, cause there is just some of us that want our weapons to match our boots  

Get off the road!!!

One thing you will absolutely need is a good set of wheels and it just so happens that the island is literally littered with vehicles just right for the taking. You have your light and bouncy quad bikes, your medium battered old Darrahs and a few varieties of excellent jeeps both on and off the road and then you have your army surplus technicals some of which have even been outfitted with a mounted gun for when you get bored looking at the scenery and would rather be shooting it up.

What care I for money when I have no pockets?

Besides killing stuff, Crafting is one of your main hobbies. To begin with you start off with limited space for medical supplies, ammo, weapons and cash. You need to upgrade your gear with animal skins (again with the killing :P) the bigger the upgrade the more elusive and harder to kill the animal.

The path of the Hunter – these side quests are based around either a group of animals or a single rare animal that you need to kill using only the weapons provided for at the quest site. The rare animals when skinned will give you the material you need for the final upgrade on most of your equipment.

Another form of crafting is Syringes, the main type of these will be for your health there are other types as well, hunting, combat and exploration. All of which can be made by the different coloured plants on the island, sort of like chems by colour.

SHE IS TRYING TO EAT ME!!!!

Pirates aren’t the only thing inhabiting the island the short list of these dangerous animals include but aren’t limited to: Tigers, Leopards, Black Bears, Rabid Dogs, and Cassowaries < are scarier than the tigers IMHO. The Waters that surround this utopian wonderland are no safer be it fresh water or salt both of which are infested with Sharks, Crocodiles and many more lovely critters ready to nibble on your toes and bite off your arms.

Main Points

Style: Single Player FPS, Sandbox
    Platform: PC, PS3, 360
    Rating: MA 15+
    Primary Objective: Save your friends from the crazy Drug Lords.
    Secondary Objective: return the Island back over to Rakyat control – Radio towers and Outposts (doing second objective will help you with first)
    Side stuff: Wanted Dead, Pathof the Hunter, Story missions (blue question marks) Collect items (Relics, Letters of the Lost and Memory Cards)

As with all my game reviews you can find them here Let's Talk: Games

• 952 posts
    February 3, 2013 10:40 AM EST

Yeah, I want this game very badly, but I just got myself a bunch of games so I'll probarly buy it another time, maybe Steam will discount this soon, who knows? It looks great and as if you can spend a lot of time playing this game. The only thing I don't really like is how you're a student that suddenly becomes Rambo, they maybe could've came up with something making a bit more sense.

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2013 10:47 AM EST
    I didn't care for this game when it came out... And to be honest, I still don't care. It's not that i think it's a bad game... It just doesn't appeal to me. From what I've seen, the whole point of this game is to cause as much destruction as possible and do what ever you want... I don't like that in games, I like to have plot, I like to be railroaded to the plot because once things in the story happen, I feel like I contributed to the story.

I've seen a bit of the game, I just didn't care for the story, from what I've seen, the enemy AI is horrible, and the only interesting thing that happens is either when you trip out or at the end...

If you enjoy the game, have fun, cause I can't see myself playing through that game for more than a few hours, never mind a second playthrough (in mind, a game shows how great it is when you can play the game over again and again and still enjoy it... If you can't or don't want to playthrough again... You failed at making a game)
    • 952 posts
    February 3, 2013 10:58 AM EST

Oh yeah, I think this more or less belongs in the new group for gaming discussion and reviews, that kind of stuff. http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/gaming-reviews-and-discussion

• 557 posts
    February 3, 2013 11:02 AM EST

I love this game. It's amazing. 

• 342 posts
    February 3, 2013 8:17 PM EST

yes, i didn't think I would either since its FPS, but I figured new year new set of rules on which games I play and this was the first one to catch my eye. I love the games with a little head trip throw in.

• 377 posts
    February 3, 2013 10:22 PM EST

I love the combat style and array of weapons that are available. But after playing the game for a while there where some things that were bugging me - 1. The pirates never tried taking lost territory back, 2. The forced story sequences are restrictive, falling out of par with the rest of the game style, 3. At a few points in the story hypocritical points are made, or they are just plain irrational, 4. The whole second island seemed to be a forced addition to the game, and it was kind of a drag, 5. animal skin hunting to make a specific kind of bag, pouch, or wallet (since I need 3 shark skins to make a super duper wallet), 6. The ending (it has a lot to do with point #3).

Overall, it is a great game but it does have it's faults. After finishing it, I wish I hadn't.

• 158 posts
    February 3, 2013 11:15 PM EST

I found the plot in far cry 3 very engaging and entertaining (although it's kind of ridiculous). Not to mention the acid trips your character has are....interesting 

• 577 posts
    February 4, 2013 1:59 AM EST

I was right about to get to the second island and then it fizzled on me. It got too repetitive. I heard some review saying that 'don't buy weapons cause you'll get them for free when opening landmass via towers'....well I ended up have so much money that I had to spend it. Money comes really easy in this game, so I pretty much had all the weapons after only about 3 towers were discovered. I did alot of "farming" for skins and really beefed up my dude early....That's the thing, you can get your guy pretty jacked before doing any of the story, then everything just get's repetitve; take tower, take pirate camp, do leader killing at board, do hunt at board, rinse and repeat. I guess you're suppose to get creative with the kills hence the new perks you get. That's the spice they try and flavor the game with.

I don't know, I'll go back and finish eventually. Lost interest when my dude pretty much became "maxed out" and I haven't even hit the second island.

It is a very good looking game though!!! And runs real smooth. Does the second Island look any different than the first? or pretty much the same landscape?

• 342 posts
    February 4, 2013 2:16 AM EST

I don't know XD i've only just met the Rakyat leader and been tasked with going to some place called badtown. I've been taking it slowly; killing animals only when i absolutely needed an upgrade bypassing fast travel and hunting down relics and other collectables as much as possible before moving on and opening up a new tower/ outpost.

my favourite weapons are the Recurve Bow and the M-700 Sniper with Scope and silencer. I make it a game of my own to try and take out each outpost with ever being spotted while freaking the pirates out by shooting the guy standing next to them XD

i'm really liking the animal AI above the pirate one as they just seem to stand around complaining about everything until the shooting starts and then its all f*** this and f*** that. where as the animals (especially the cats) seem to love attacking the outposts as much as I do. I was gearing up to attack one when not one but two tigers ran into the camp, scared the crap out of the pirates and manged to maul half the camp before being shot down, I only had to take out 2 pirates to get that outpost :D was awesome.

• February 4, 2013 2:26 AM EST

+1 

• 426 posts
    February 4, 2013 4:31 AM EST

Ty Dark Souls has broken you in regard to playing other games lol You have become a gaming monster lol 

• 153 posts
    February 4, 2013 5:32 AM EST
    I got this game while recovering from surgery and I must say it is the most interactive environment I have ever seen in a game.
    Love the mission that you burn the weed plant with a flamethrower (song for mission is called make it bun dum [by shrileks and bob marley's youngest son {only dub step I like}])
    • 153 posts
    February 4, 2013 5:35 AM EST
    I don't play second playthroughs in games because the storyline is way to long (e.g. Hit man absolution and gta IV)
    • 153 posts
    February 4, 2013 5:36 AM EST
    Sorry for sounding like a noob but what is FPS?
    • 426 posts
    February 4, 2013 5:37 AM EST

It stands for First Person Shooter (FPS) 

• 342 posts
    February 4, 2013 5:42 AM EST

hahaha I have literally just finished this mission, i didn't use the flamethrower though, i played Robbin Hood from the hills and used some flaming arrows (works just as well) I did get a bit of the smoke blow back though that messed with my vision for a bit. That piece of music was awesome, I took my time with the mission just to keep it playing.

• 377 posts
    February 4, 2013 6:15 AM EST

The second island has pretty much the same tropical climate, but instead of pirates there are mercenaries, and instead of Vaas there's the boring cocaine addicted drug lord, Hoyt. After killing Vaas the whole game starts going downhill. Why? Because Vaas was the best character in the game. Everybody wanted to see what he was going to do next, because he was nuts and completely unpredictable. Hoyt, well... nobody could give two shits about Hoyt. Sadly the big problem with the game is the pacing. It will reach the climax (last encounter with Vaas which is a crappy QTE) in the middle of the game and then linger on in a decrescendo.

The best part about the second island will be exploring it. Everything else will seem like a chore and drag on.

• 377 posts
    February 4, 2013 6:25 AM EST

One of the best parts of that mission is that if you standing nearby the burning plants your vision will get all hazy. That with the Marley song makes it classic.

• 342 posts
    February 4, 2013 6:32 AM EST

lol I was up on the hills and I still got smoked

• February 4, 2013 1:26 PM EST

Tygravius, I think you would do well with limiting your character in how many guns/which guns and such. I like doing that. And don't use the tagging.

Also you could try a permadeath run 

I find it extremely fun to experiment with mines, C4, LMGs, Silenced Snipers and the like, but it's extremely as well to play and make it harder for you... To be honest the hardest difficulty really isn't that hard. I've got 30 hours in the game and have only played a couple missions cause I've been exploring the map with I guess more 'roleplayee' characters with limitations.

I would have many more hours but my graphics card has taken a huge crap so I can only play 1 of my games as well as on my Xbox 

• February 4, 2013 1:41 PM EST
    Heh, no, Charlie. The animal AI is really bad. My interest in biology is influencing my opinion too much to enjoy hunting as much as everyone else (I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's as good as everyone gives it credit).