Forums » Elder Scrolls

Crazy Pickpocketing

• January 30, 2013 2:56 PM EST
    I remember my 1st character and his insane pickpocket skill,
    he would steal from every NPC he could. From gold coins and keys to weapons and armor, there was no NPC safe when he was around. Stealing guard's equipped armor for his armor "collection" and leaving rivals undefended.
    When doing the Thieves Guild quest with Mercer Fray I stole his weapons before going into the crypt, and at the end he stabbed me with a invisible sword(?).
    Stole Karliah's cache of (a ton) arrows, and Brynjolf's daggers.

Now I don't play him but he was/is one of my favorite characters!

Did you have any fun time with pickpocketing or any skill making that character memorable or your favorite?
  • January 30, 2013 3:08 PM EST
    The trick is stealing high value items, the higher the value the more XP. Try thief stone and well rested status before for max experience
  • January 30, 2013 3:15 PM EST
    Lol I usually save before attempts, just in case I get caught and have just one chance, but apart from that is easy, plus paralyze+pickpocket= success - experience - bounty
  • January 30, 2013 3:20 PM EST
    Now I hoard mass paralysis scrolls for civil war questline...
    That should be fun!
  • January 30, 2013 3:26 PM EST
    Yep and the best thing about going to jail is that you don't have to pay "the fine"
    • 856 posts
    January 30, 2013 7:41 PM EST

I'm about to play a 'crazy pick-pocket' - I am still in the planning process.  I've done thieves before, but they were primarly 'burglars'.  I was thinking I needed to do something different (and 'lighter'). 

• 377 posts
    January 30, 2013 9:12 PM EST

Hell, pickpocketing paid my tuition through college. Training skills is very expensive, but I like to use my five finger discount whenever possible. 

• 7 posts
    January 30, 2013 9:38 PM EST

But you have to glitch or use console to get out for the second time.

• 16 posts
    January 31, 2013 11:54 AM EST

The thing about any theft in this game that makes me kinda mad, is the Thugs that come for you.  You go into stealth, and they still casually walk right to where you hiding... they even follow you around even when your unseen.  It kinda makes me not able to do a pure thief that is passive.  And since I don't use fast travel, there is no way of shaking them. :\

• 3 posts
    January 31, 2013 1:20 PM EST

This reminds me of the Drunkard build (or whatever it was called).

I think I'll now try a theiving alcoholic who MUST consume all alcohol he comes across at that moment - and then spend every penny buying rounds and then steal the rest from the inn once he regains consciousness.

I was waiting for inspiration for a pure rogue... and now for the fun.

• January 31, 2013 1:42 PM EST
    You can go into a house/cave/dungeon and they won't get there or just one or two then go back out and KEEP RUNNING!!!!
  • January 31, 2013 1:43 PM EST
    In Markarth yes, in other towns you can anytime
  • January 31, 2013 1:48 PM EST
    I dunno if it is after I downloaded Dragonborn or the other DLCs but some glitched quest dungeons like Linwe's cave got fixed. Wich helps a lot when getting quests to go there and not have the important enemies killed before time
    • 377 posts
    January 31, 2013 1:48 PM EST

True, it does break immersion when the thugs are sent after you, that you have a tracking beacon attached to your ass and that they have the device to follow you. No matter how long you avoid them the fight will happen eventually. Plan ahead if you are at a very low level, because they will kill you in a straight up fight, so don't do that. Fight dirty. Make the battleground of your choosing. Get a temporary companion if you can. Cast a frenzy spell on them so that they kill each other. Snipe them from a rock. Get creative.

• January 31, 2013 1:50 PM EST
    The funny fact about them is that they were supposed to teach a lesson by beating (not killing) you, but they still kill you :(