Forums » Elder Scrolls

Balance of Needed Perks and Roleplay

• 4 posts
    January 25, 2013 6:14 PM EST
    Hello, and welcome to my first post on this blog.

I am between a rock and a hard spot on my veiws of a good gaming experience. I am wondering if it is accepted to have a high level perk reqirement for a build i am fabricating (Currently testing a playthrough of said build). i currently have boosted a skill to lvl 100, this ended up with my player getting to level 16.

My question is : Does getting said high level perks and generally undeserved level-ups early in a playthrough ruin your immersive gameplay / roleplay Experience? and if so, how do you deal with it.
    • 7 posts
    January 31, 2013 2:19 AM EST

Since everything, more or less, levels up with you it's not that big of a deal. Being level 16 with, say 100 in speech and 20 in everything else can offer some interesting challenges.

• 3 posts
    February 1, 2013 3:46 PM EST

It did bother me when I upped my sneak skill using the monks in High Hrothgar. The problem I have is wanting to play a character that is already developed - who has the rich history and experience I imagined - but then needing to spend the early parts of the game developing.

I sometimes may try and incorporate the development into the story (like my assassin is going out into the world to test himself - and therefore will be able to develop as part of the experience). In that case i avoid the glitchy level up for the sake of RPing.

Or I sometimes might decide to start the roleplying after the character has been built up a bit.

• 40 posts
    February 1, 2013 9:46 PM EST

I do the same thing as Ben. Although with smithing, enchanting and alchemy sometimes I level those naturally and sometimes I power level them depending on my mood. I don't like playing a character who has to do all 3.

Getting a skill to 100 doesn't bother me as much as feeling a build is spread way to thin. I think a build feels more complete if there are a few skills that are filled out, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to get to 100.

For example: Taking 3 points Alchemists, 2 in speech, 4 in one handed and 1 in block. Just seems so spread out and worthless. I would rather take 5 in Alchemist non in speech and 5 in one handed.

• 4 posts
    February 4, 2013 12:09 PM EST

alchemy is extremely easy to level up, get hearthfire, and mix these three things: salmon roe(harvested from jumping salmon in small waterfalls) garlic, and nordic barnacle cluster.

• 1483 posts
    February 24, 2013 6:32 PM EST
    I can't see how one can get their smithing skill to 100 without power leveling. Every time I try to level smithing I end up creating and selling a huge amount of useless items :D
    • 118 posts
    February 24, 2013 8:30 PM EST
    This is a very differing opinion I imagine. For myself I immediately get turned off any build that requires 'training' (eg: training block against a giant for an hour). I can only play characters that develop naturally during the story arch, perhaps never reaching level 100 in any skills at all. I'd take a character with a dozen skills only partially perked out that grows over the course of the game than a character that starts with 'get 100 smithing and enchantin'.

I rarely ever play a character that gets much passed level 40ish. That said I feel that I am in the minority with this opinion.
  • February 24, 2013 8:38 PM EST

You aren't. Many people here aren't min/maxers.

• 118 posts
    February 24, 2013 8:51 PM EST
    It's more than not min/maxing for me. There's only a few skills that I've EVER trained to 100. I'll never see shield charge or reflect blows or any of those perks/skills in action because I flat out refuse to 'train' skills.

It's probably why I almost never 'like' a build on this site. I see builds with level 50+ characters and I just can't get my head around them. Most of my characters have 2-3 skills they're really good at and they suck at everything else lol
  • February 24, 2013 8:55 PM EST

Depends what skills (I'm never seeing Relfect Blows, ever). Yeah, I know the advantage of focused skill set but I prefer multiple skills that complement each other really well (I don't mean the Alchemy/Enchanting, obviously). But it's just a matter of personal preference.

• 118 posts
    February 24, 2013 9:10 PM EST
    Multiple skills is great too, it's just these builds that have 100 in a bunch of skills for no reason other than that the skill goes to 100. Basically if skills make sense for the character then I'm all in favour, I'm just always super hesitant about these extremely high level characters because they always seem to be characters that could finish the entire game by level 40 but were taken to 60+ for the hell of it (sake of completion).

An example I can give are builds that get 100 heavy armour as well as 100 smithing. It just seems so redundant to me yet so many builds do things like this for no real reason other than being completionist.

I suppose this is why alchemy is far and away my favourite skill. It's a skill that naturally trains to 100 for me during the course of a play through with almost zero effort. Smithing also feels natural to me because my favourite thing to do in skyrim is run through dwarven ruins so collecting scrap is easy for me.

I guess I just like builds that level naturally, to me grinding is a huge turnoff.
    • 2 posts
    February 24, 2013 9:13 PM EST

I agree on most parts with Ben. However, I usually avoid using trainers for certain skills simply because of the characters I plan out.

For example, let's just say you were playing an abandoned youth who had to fend for his/herself out in the woods for years, I might avoid using an archery trainer simply because I've decided he simply learned the way of the bow through his trials. That being said however, if it doesn't conflict with anything when I'm doing a serious RP, then I'm going to train the crap out of a skill whenever I have the spare gold/time.

• 118 posts
    February 24, 2013 9:14 PM EST
    It's a very good point

I've never fought the top end dragons, for example, which certainly is a negative. Perhaps I just don't have enough patience for skills I don't enjoy. It's not some 'rule' I have about not training skills, I just don't enjoy using skills unless its something that happens naturally throughout a play through. Maybe I should try it once though, take on that ebony noob!