Forums » The Lounge

What does your 'significant other' do while you play Skyrim?

• 773 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:04 AM EST

My wife knows nothing about gaming and cares even less. She came in yesterday evening and said something like 'Oh you're playing that game again?' She'd no idea it was even called Skyrim, lol

That got me thinking. What does your significant other ... wife / husband / girlfriend / boyfriend / lover / whatever, do whilst you pour your life into Skyrim?

Do they take turns playing? Or watch while you play? Not care? Or do they think its stupid and try to get you to do something more interesting (to them)?

• 31 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:32 AM EST

I normally play when my wife is asleep. She does crafts while I illustrate on the PC. I like being able to talk to her while I draw, I play Skyrim with my headphones on and totally immerse myself in it. So when she retires, I take a break from my work and fire up Skyrim.

She has played once, but she got a bit motion sick, she enjoyed it though and enjoys watching me do funny things. She finds a lot of the dialogue amusing. She loves the insects in the jars as well as the bears and dogs.

• 17 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:41 AM EST

Interesting question.  I have a man cave located in an upstairs bedroom where I have all my "toys".  You know, PS3, large flat screen tv with surround sound, and also a set of wireless headphones - wife does not like to hear "games" or sports while she is downstairs.  Anyway, she usually is playing on her computer with facebook or surfing the web.  I usually just go upstairs for about 2 hours and after supper and chill out.  She does say  at times "so you're going upstairs to play your game".  The good news is - both of my son-in-laws play Skyrim and we have a great time discussing how each is playing the game.  Merry Christmas all!!!!

• 739 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:57 AM EST

I'd like to say she pleasures me while i kill draugr, that would be great.

I gave my other half a years notice that i would be playing this game exclusively when it was released. She had plenty of time to prepare herself for no tv. I once made the mistake of teaching an old girlfriend how to play Morrowind and she became totally absorbed and didnt wash or go to work for about a month. So count yourselves lucky that most our partners dont know what they are missing out on.

• 31 posts
    December 22, 2011 10:01 AM EST

"I'd like to say she pleasures me while i kill draugr, that would be great."

Hahaha

• 7 posts
    December 22, 2011 10:05 AM EST

I usually play once my wife and daughter are asleep.  Or at work on my lunch break.  Now she has discovered that my new xbox plays Hulu and she has effectively taken over my new "toy"

• 966 posts
    December 22, 2011 10:37 AM EST

Well, my current gf is not one for gaming, however, when i play Skyrim she atleast pretends to be intrested ;)

• 9 posts
    December 22, 2011 11:02 AM EST

My gf is a teacher and we work different shifts. So i usually play while shes at work..     I talked about the game so much before it came out (i was hyped) that was sick of it before nov 11th..  But about 2 weeks after it came out.. i walk in from work and this woman is sitting there playing it.. already at level 12.... WTF!!!  She wanted to see why i loved it so much and figured out she can mine, pick flowers and kill people..  So now she is hooked..  Im in love...

• 9 posts
    December 22, 2011 11:08 AM EST

My partner has become absorbed too.. but not to that extent... lol..

• 3 posts
    December 22, 2011 11:16 AM EST

No man-lover for me, so that means I get to kill -more- Draugr! >;P

• 80 posts
    December 22, 2011 1:47 PM EST

My spouse follows my adventures mostly through my journal.  She is interested, but not actively playing. She gives me input to my writing before I post it, and has also occasionally informed me what my character was thinking and would do before I had figured it out.  Finally, she created my character's physical appearance, for which I am grateful, because I love the look of my character.

• 77 posts
    December 22, 2011 2:43 PM EST

She created your character's appearance? Give her a thumbs up from me!

• 140 posts
    December 22, 2011 3:37 PM EST

Aaaah, the good old days, when the children were tucked in for the night, the husband and I would pop open a bottle of wine or toast a pint of Guinness, fire up the Xbox, and have a nice night of slaying draugr/bandits/necromancers.  Yet he has abandoned the Dovahkiin in order to catch Tiger Woods on the PGA Tour.  Thanks to EA Sports, I get to be a golf widow 12 months out of a year instead of just six months .   

• 1 posts
    December 22, 2011 4:24 PM EST
    I am typically an absolute sports nut and usually work upwards of 65 hours a week in surgery. So my girlfriend is completely puzzled about why I spend my free time being "nerdy with an elfman." So I play when she is sleeping or working. Oh well. She likes shoes and One Tree Hill.
    • 140 posts
    December 22, 2011 4:28 PM EST

Mason, your incorrigiblity and use of provocative language strikes again! 

• 3 posts
    December 22, 2011 7:20 PM EST
    All my wife does is complain when I play. She HATES elder scrolls with a passion because it's the only game I have that she can't play with me and it's all I ever want to play. I have to resort to setting an alarm to get me up around 4:30 in the morning just so I can play a couple hours. :-/
    • 7 posts
    December 22, 2011 8:10 PM EST

She plays WoW, but she looks over at my screen often to see what's going on.

• 3 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:31 PM EST

We don't live together so me and my boyfriend keep texting eachother about cool stuff we've found.

I told him to go drinking with Sam, he told me to find the dog outside Falkreath.

It's a good system. 

• 668 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:52 PM EST

He's VERY impatiently waiting for his turn or pretending to be a worldly American and watching soccer on the pc.

• 144 posts
    December 22, 2011 10:51 PM EST

haha my girlfriend actually plays it too. i almost proposed when she told me. :)

• 773 posts
    December 24, 2011 4:05 AM EST

I should have mentioned that although the wife is completely ignorant and unconcerned about Elder Scrolls, my oldest two sons both play. One is slowly working his way through the main quest on his PS3, the other has racked up 100+ hours on his XBox.

We've actually got all three version of Skyrim in the house (I'm on PC )

• 140 posts
    December 26, 2011 2:17 PM EST

Paul, that must really provide you with an excellent comparison of all game systems.  It seems Bethesda could put you three on the payroll as testers.  And I have to chuckle when I think of your sons being gamers too...the dinnertime discussions must be quite entertaining, what with draugrs and dragons and perks! 

• December 26, 2011 3:04 PM EST

My partner plays sometimes and enjoys it shes completely terrible at all games although thats not the point. She neither likes nor dislikes games in general but since i play in my room on my bed infront of my 55" TV wen i pay to much attention to Skyrim/Games she.... well lets just say i dont play the game till the next day =D

• 7 posts
    December 27, 2011 5:55 AM EST

Haha! Im the exception then? :P No0vember allready, she decided looking to find more after TES, and she found quite a few. We played a bit together, and yesterday we made her own player, An Altmer Witch...

Well see how far we go...

So yes, shes interested, and she likes it... 

• 3 posts
    December 27, 2011 8:08 PM EST

I am not in a relationship :(.  I feel so left out now.