Forums » The Lounge

The Skyrim Blog?

• 739 posts
    January 8, 2013 9:07 AM EST

Hi guys,

It's a new year and I think that's always a good time to talk about what we like/dislike most about our much loved Skyrim Blog...

Topics like this help Paul and the hosts come up with new ideas to keep the site moving forward and also ensure content stays fresh so that new visitors continue to arrive! Skyrim has been out for over a year now but remains strong in the gaming charts so efforts must be doubled to ensure this remains 'the place to be'.

What do we think of the current groups? Does anyone have any new group idea's? Have any of the old groups fallen behind and possibly need removing/re-hosting/merging with another group?

Is the front page cluttered? Do we care who's birthday it is? (mine's the 28th of February, don't forget!) Does anyone wear 'The Badge' to work or when they aren't here? Do we care about the other (lesser ) Skyrim sites?

Would people like new stories? What about a monthly competition organised by the story corner hosts to get people being creative again, that would make a great poll and people would have to actually read the stories in order to vote!

One of my massive worries at the moment is that the site doesn't scream "Skyrim" anymore, I can honestly say that if I was a new 'punter' looking for Skyrim information online I would pass this site over during my search. The current theme is vile and looks dated, it actually puts me on a slight downer looking at it everyday (sorry Paul ).

I'd love something that was more thematic of the game we enjoy and instantly shows new members that this site means business and has amazing content...

Give us your ideas people! Let's keep the blog on the map in 2013!

• 77 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:17 AM EST

Which is why I proposed that if you want something that "screams Skyrim" a theme that resembles the Skyrim UI would be appropriate. 

And also @Paul, you are the owner of this site, if you feel like the current banner and/or theme is inappropriate for the direction you want, you change it as you like. It doesn't matter if it was a contest, especially when it's actually been up there for a while now.

• 77 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:35 AM EST

NO!!! NEVER!!! BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

(as an alt though? yes.)

• 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:36 AM EST

Yeah the UI theme has already been brought up and I love that idea, it may be a little on the dark side for some people but it would probably get my vote...

• 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:52 AM EST

• 77 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:54 AM EST

Well, science would dictate that a dark background with a somewhat contrasting text is nicer on the eyes. In my experience black and red works wonderfully, but that doesn't quite fit in with the Skyrim UI thing. A nice Skyrim landscape background with a see-through black page and gray-white borders and text would be nice. 

• 773 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:55 AM EST

Basically, I agree with you Nexus

And the results of the current poll show that your view has popular mandate - around one third of our visitors are looking forward to ESO more than any other game this year.

• 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 10:57 AM EST

I see what you're saying! Could even blur the background up (like in the game) so it isn't distracting! I'm not sure if the background for the front page (white bit) can be made semi transparent or not, I'd have to have a look in my tools...

• 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:05 AM EST

Is this kind of thing what people mean by the UI theme? Like actually in the game and pull up your menu?

• 271 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:13 AM EST
    Isn't a little hard to read the text with that background?
    • 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:15 AM EST

That's not optimised Gustaf, it's just a nock up...

I've actually got a very similar theme on my page at the moment, you can check it out to see how the text reads...

• 271 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:18 AM EST
    @Mason (can't reply)

Yeah, but... :P
    • 77 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:19 AM EST

Needs more Celtic stuff. Like this: http://img.techpowerup.org/111116/2011-11-16_00002.jpg

Look at that compass, try to replicate that. It's basically what you've done already, but with more curly shit. Also, if we're going with this theme we kinda need the banner to be more neutral.

• 77 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:20 AM EST

Thanks, feels good to know that my ramblings aren't completely without proof xD

• 966 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:23 AM EST

I have no problem reading the text.

• 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 11:31 AM EST

Oh, I see!

I could possibly create the compass border (with celtic squiggles) as a new border for the site banner. The regular site borders graphics can't be changed in that way though, but it could be color matched...

• 557 posts
    January 9, 2013 12:19 PM EST
    I don't know if this is possible, but could the Links beade to look like the compass?
    • 856 posts
    January 9, 2013 12:22 PM EST

It is difficult for me to read; the page with text needs to be opaque.

• 739 posts
    January 9, 2013 12:55 PM EST
    • 856 posts
    January 9, 2013 12:55 PM EST

I've just finished reading all of the pages here (so far) - such nice ideas, mostly.  I am all for 'tidying things up' so the site is more visually appealling, but I have very little talent in that regard (I see it when things look nice, but I am not good at the actual 'doing'). 

I like the ideas of 'buttons' for links, for both groups and other areas (such as button linking the welcome page - with more 'buttons' there for site rules, navigation, etc.).  And I agree that many items, eg. the 'badge', can simply be omitted altogether. 

I am 100% against changing the name of the blog - it should forever stay "The Skyrim Blog".   Simply put, names are important and changing names is a bad idea - no matter how descriptive and accurate the new name is.  People have come to recognize our blog's name, it took a long time to earn that recognition.

As far as text on a page is concerned, the background containing the text must be an opaque single color (no transparency at all) - else I, and others, will have trouble reading it.  I have my browser pages set at 150% size to help me read - so please don't go screwing with text and translucent backgrounds.  It does not have to be black and white, 'opposite' color combinations are not easy on the eyes anyways - a reason why tournament chess boards are actually green (not black) and white.  So please keep any text on an opaque single color background (black and white is ok, but a little less contrasting colors may work better).

• 856 posts
    January 9, 2013 1:00 PM EST

Aye.  But any transparency with text is a problem for me; I tend to focus on the background picture, so text needs to be written on an opaque solid color background - like it is now.