Forums » Elder Scrolls

Extreme Makeover - the Winterhold show (Storage query)

• 47 posts
    January 7, 2013 1:31 PM EST

I spent almost all of a little time yesterday reorganising my room at the College, blundering about with console commands in a trial-and-error fashion until I had what I wanted: barrels and sacks and dead animal heads out, bookcases in. I play a serious, studious young man who would definitely have bookcases in his room rather than barrels of tomatoes (as would many people, I suspect). I used the glass-fronted style bookcases, as although I would much prefer the proper open bookshelves I have read many posts on various forums detailing the difficulty of creating those, and I simply don't have the computering ability to tackle that (yet). But here's my question - is there a way of finding out how safe the storage is in my new bookcases? I don't want to pile my prized collection in there only to have them vanish because of some rule or bug. So, if you use the mighty spell placeatme and bring a bookcase into existence, is there a default of its storage safety? I'd appreciate any help.

• 291 posts
    January 7, 2013 6:16 PM EST

Do you have the Creation Kit?  That would have made your life a LOT easier.  It would also make your changes prevent minor save game bloating and allow you to change things around whenever you wished.

(And yes, making functional bookshelves is a royal pain that always takes me at least an hour to get ONE set right.  Even when I follow specific directions.)

It really depends on what bookcase you placed as to whether or not it's safe.  If you used one meant for the player to use, then it'll most likely be a container marked, "Never resets".  I do not think there's any player home that uses the library-style bookcases so they are most likely not safe.

But, really, I would get the Creation Kit so you can go in and hand-place items and really trick out the place.  You can go nuts on little cluttery items...you can even use the chunks of items from loading screens as decoration.  Really make it look like the Arch-Mage's quarters.  Heck, you can even change the lighting scheme to be a little warmer.  Whatever you want.  And that stuff is all pretty easy as all you're doing is placing items in the world.  :) Easiest thing to do in the CK.

The only hard part (which isn't really hard at all) would be recreating some of those glass-front bookshelves so they're safe to use.  I say recreate because you want to make NEW versions of them, not edit existing ones.

• 47 posts
    January 8, 2013 2:41 PM EST

That is VERY smart. Excellent thinking.

• 47 posts
    January 8, 2013 2:43 PM EST

I did download the CK some time ago and make the tiniest start with it, but I got lost and bewildered in the tutorials very quickly. Embarrassingly quickly. I should probably have another try someday.

• 47 posts
    January 10, 2013 6:55 PM EST

OK, just to round this thread off - and in case anyone else wants to know for their own redecorating efforts - I tried Ben's suggestion of skipping off across the map and waiting the 30 days to test the bookcases. When I got back to my room, the results surprised me a little. I'll try to attach screenshots, but it's my first time doing that here so you never know. Anyway, the bookcases DID maintain their status as safe storage after the full 30 days (plus a few more, as I played it safe) - but as the pics hopefully show, the rest of the room did reset! So now there is a chair spawned halfway through the bookcase I've earmarked for notes, journals, letters etc (the other 3 being for fiction, spelltomes, and non-fiction going clockwise around the room). The barrels didn't come back, but oddly their contents did, so now I have apples and bread all over the floor. The broom and bucket are back too, along with all the ingredients I'd taken from the shelves which I intend to be a sort of trophy display, with a souvenir from each notable expedition (note the Dwemer core thingy from finding Mjoll's sword), and I suppose those respawning is handy. As is the reappearance of the large coin purse by my bed - man, do I wish THAT really happened. And the baskets are back too. How many baskets does one small room need?

Conclusion: the self-spawned bookcases are confirmed as safe storage.