Forums » Elder Scrolls

What are the essentials for a character build?

• 30 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:01 PM EST

I know there is the character build help desk and guide but I want to know specifically where do you start?Do you transfer your documents to the sight or retype the whole thing?Do you use a particular setup in a word program?Do you edit pictures yourself are do you you just get them from sites?How do you import without losing charts for your perks?I am asking so that I can get a better concept on character building so I can make them more presentable anyone is welcome to give input.

• 158 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:17 PM EST

I haven't actually posted a build yet but I would think a good place to start would be a concept. Maybe a few even, and pick the best one.

• 180 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:26 PM EST

I usually type up my character build in a word processor. From there, I just copy and paste it into the discussion box when I am ready to upload. From what I have noticed, images will not copy in properly, so I upload them individually using the "Image" menu. Images are tricky. I'm no expert on copyright laws, so I either use my own screenshots, or request permission to use others art (Usually all they require is a link to their deviant art profile for credit).

As for what is essential I'll give it my best shot. Just remember, not all builds will follow the same format or have all of these things. This is just an example list:

Short introduction (What is the build about)

Basic details (Race, stone, equipment etc. Include a brief description of why the build uses them)

Perk choices (Usually displayed on an image. Try to explain why each skill was chosen and even specific perks important to the build)

Game play (Describe how the character plays. How does it tackle combat situations?)

Role play (Not a must, but a nice addition. Give your build a story. Why does this character do what they do? Is there anything that can be done in game to improve the immersion of the character?)

That is my idea of a basic build anyway. Just remember you want to sell your build. You want people to play it so convince them of how awesome your idea is.

• 30 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:34 PM EST

Thank you for the detailed answers and I'm assuming you put the links at the end right?

• 180 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:36 PM EST

Yes, right at the end of the build. Just remember to mention which picture which artist made.

• 30 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:40 PM EST

Thanks for the advice one more question how do you put your perk spread on an image?

• 158 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:41 PM EST

Thats a photo editing job. Everyone does it differently

• 30 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:47 PM EST

Alright thanks.

• 158 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:48 PM EST

You could always get Narmis or mason to help you do yours though

• 30 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:56 PM EST

That would be nice but I need to improve the builds i've already put out first.

• 133 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:56 PM EST

*Ahem* Or me, I even have a discussion about it 

• 30 posts
    December 31, 2012 12:05 AM EST

Sorry dude didn't know but you could help me improve my first two if you want to.

• 158 posts
    December 31, 2012 12:05 AM EST

and of course beastypoo!

• 856 posts
    December 31, 2012 10:26 AM EST

Technically this, and other Character Build queries, belong in the CB group - please put future CB discussions there.  Thanks.